badge


Chocolate Scones | How to make Mini Chocolate Scone

>>  Thursday, April 2, 2015

After the Chocolate chip Scone, I decided to go for another version of chocolate scones. I did confess that my first try didn't end up being a scone. So I was determined that I bake a proper scone in the shape it is supposed to be. Only after realizing the mistake, I looked up different scone recipes and technique followed in making a scone.

I landed here and decided this will be a hit with the kids as it is with chocolate chips and cocoa. By then I had watched couple of scone videos and pretty sure it will turn out great. Though something struck that slicing the scones in the traditionally huge ones will be too heavy. So I further sliced it down and made a mini version of the chocolate scones.

As the kids were at home because of summer vacation, I had to stock up the snacks and it naturally had to be chocolate based. Since I had planned on the scones for Week 1, I had to make this sooner than expected. Even though it was chocolaty, Athamma also liked it and needless to say Kids loved it.


I had to control my urge to end up with more scones, having landed with a perfect recipe. I could change the ingredients and come up with different combinations. However knowing only chocolate is the fast moving item at home, I didn't want to unnecessarily land up with too many high calorie stuff. So the rest of the two days will feature other quick breads that I enjoyed baking an eating.

I know dark chocolate colour isn't always the most appealing one when captured. Trust me, these were so much loved and enjoyed. 





Chocolate Scones Recipe

Ingredients Needed

All purpose flour - 1 3/4 cup
Granulated sugar - 1/2 cup
Butter - 1/3 cup
Cocoa powder - 1/4 cup
Dark Chocolate Chips - 1/3 cups
White chocolate chips - 1/3 cups
Vanilla - 1/2 tsp
Baking Powder - 2 1/2 tsp
Salt a pinch
Egg Replacer -1 tbsp mixed with 3 tbsp water
Milk - 2/3 cup (I used only half)

How to make Chocolate Scones

Pre Heat the oven at 185 C and line a parchment paper over a baking tray 

In a small bowl, whisk the egg replacer with water and keep it aside.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt. Then add the butter and crumble well. Stir in the chocolate chips and combine everything together and add milk slowly.

The dough should be little stiff, you can roll it again with little flour and shape it as circle. I made small discs and made mini scones.

Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until they are firm around the edges but a bit soft in the center. A toothpick inserted into the center of a scone will come out clean. Cool on a wire rack. 

Notes:

Since the regular scones seem to be very huge, I decided to make smaller ones and my kids enjoyed it so much. I really can't think how this is served for breakfast as it's quite sweet. This serves best as snacks for kids

When adding milk ensure you do it little by little, instead of dumping the entire quantity. I used only half of the mentioned amount.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 51



27 comments :

Priya Suresh April 2, 2015 at 12:32 AM  

Mini or geant anything with chocolate goes automatically to my fav..Scones looks fantastic.

Mayuri Patel April 2, 2015 at 1:03 AM  

a delicious chocolatey treat. I am hosting an event on my blog, please participate. Thanks.
http://mayurisjikoni.blogspot.com/2015/03/bake-fest-42-announcement.html

Srividhya April 2, 2015 at 3:17 AM  

wow chocolate scones looks delicious and tempting.

Nalini's Kitchen April 2, 2015 at 4:06 AM  

Chocolate scone looks so tempting and another scone recipe in your series..Nicely done.

vaishali sabnani April 2, 2015 at 5:35 AM  

The scones have been on my list and now I will definitely try them since you have the perfect recipe and that too with chocolate. Love the dramatic clicks.

Varadas Kitchen April 2, 2015 at 7:11 AM  

Cute shapes and perfect single serving size. I have never tried chocolate scones before but after looking at these I must just try.

Usha April 2, 2015 at 7:14 AM  

To my eyes anything that has chocolate looks great and irresistible

Foodiliciousnan April 2, 2015 at 7:20 AM  

I made scones once and I loved them! Your chocolate version is to die for Valli... Btw how do you say that dark chocolate pics aren't great in pictures? I say they're the most captivating!

The Pumpkin Farm April 2, 2015 at 7:39 AM  

i used to be treated with scones by my neighbour when i lived in UK, and this chocolate scones reminds me of her sunday treat exactly the same shape and she used keep the indian style tea ready with it, glad you found a perfect recipe here

Suja Ram April 2, 2015 at 10:06 AM  

Delicious Choco Scones are too tempting Valli. Somehow, Iam fascinated by the word Scones. Should try one soon.

Padma Rekha April 2, 2015 at 11:42 AM  

You would have send some to me Valli
they looks so delicious. Now I really wanted to try them. but little scared.....:(

Nivedhanams Sowmya April 2, 2015 at 1:31 PM  

Wow what a rich chocolate color.. Would love to gobble some... Yummm

Priya Srinivasan April 2, 2015 at 1:54 PM  

Anything chocolate, flies off the counter!!! They look cute in smaller servings!!

Gayathri Kumar April 2, 2015 at 3:01 PM  

Haven't tried scones with chocolate. I could do this to tempt Sruti into eating!!! Looks yumm...

Kalyani April 2, 2015 at 5:42 PM  

I have a non chocolate scone somewhere in my list.. and these look soooo delish !!

Suma Gandlur April 2, 2015 at 6:05 PM  

I thought you didn'the post yet until I realized the difference between today'a and the previous day'a post titles. :) These must have tasted yummy and have risen well.

Rajani S April 2, 2015 at 7:45 PM  

Summer vacation and chocolate go hand-in-hand together. Good thinking about their sizes, btw!

veena krishnakumar April 2, 2015 at 8:08 PM  

Wow Valli another chocolate treat from you . Looks yummy

Padmajha PJ April 2, 2015 at 8:27 PM  

Scones are on my list since a long long time! The chocolate version sounds very tempting...

Pavani N April 2, 2015 at 9:47 PM  

Perfectly made chocolate scones Valli. I'm sure your kids devoured them. I've never tried a complete chocolate scone, I should try this one for my son.

Harini-Jaya R April 3, 2015 at 6:35 AM  

Now that my kids are slowly getting hooked on to chocolate, I am sure I am going to try these sometime soon. Cute looking Scones, Valli.

Saraswathi Tharagaram April 3, 2015 at 7:20 AM  

These look ahhh-mazing!! The mini scone idea is great..

Sandhya Ramakrishnan April 3, 2015 at 8:36 AM  

Scones remind me of Enid Blyton's Famous five books that I grew up reading :) These smaller version looks wonderful and definitely the way to go.

Sarita April 3, 2015 at 9:08 PM  

Chocolate scones looks superb! Great pics.,

Archana Potdar April 17, 2015 at 7:50 PM  

Wow my kids will love these scones too Valli. Glad u have a great recipe now I do not have to hunt for one.

Manjula Bharath April 19, 2015 at 8:04 AM  

Mini scones looks so tempting and delicious dear, great recipe :) lovely pics

Ruchi Indu May 6, 2015 at 11:28 AM  

Mini-scone idea is a good one. The scones look great

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP