Chocolate Chip Scones Recipe | How to make Chocolate Chip Scone

>>  Wednesday, April 1, 2015

We are starting our first Mega Marathon of the year, with Baking as the theme for the whole month. Though we had finalized on the theme months ago, I ended up baking just a month back. Initially when we had decided, I had planned on doing the theme with ABC Baking and went ahead with collecting recipes for each Alphabetic letter. Surprisingly the list is almost complete, yet the dishes that I had finalized were complex ones, not feasible with the month's time I had to bake.

So that list is kept aside for posterity. I am sure there will be another occasion for me to use up that list. Having ditched one list, I had to come up with another one. Just doing a random baking didn't feel so much appealing than working on a sub theme. That made me check out for sub themes that I could bake without hassles. Obviously all the bakes can't be just cakes, or chocolate dishes.

Since we have about 5 weeks in April, with first week with just four days, I decided to do Quick Breads. 

While my other weeks dishes will surely fall under quick breads, I clubbed those quick breads under different sub themes based on my own requirements. For quick breads include cakes, brownies and cookies. Any bread that is leavened with leavening agents other than yeast or eggs are classified as Quick Breads.

If I have to strictly follow this terminology, I know I will have a tough time. So I simply focused on Scones, Banana Breads and simple sponge cakes. 

While other weeks will feature chocolate cakes, savory dishes and fruit cakes etc. 

Quick breads, unlike the yeasted breads, have wet and dry ingredients quickly mixed together to bake the final dish. Again one can classify based on the way the batter is mixed. If you stir the ingredients, you have the pancakes, muffins etc.

If you cream you end up with cakes and if you use the shortening method, where the butter or fat is crumbled into the flour, you end up with biscuits and scones. 

I tried following all these for the first week and ended up with some amazing baked dishes!

First in the series is a Chocolate Chip Scone.

Though I have been baking for many years now, I have limited myself to cakes, muffins and biscuits. I have seen my friends making so many different scones, with seasonal produce or with chocolates. I have always wanted to make scones myself. Finally I decided this was the apt time to try some scones myself. Naturally the first one would be with a chocolate scone. I had infact wanted to try the most classic Raisin Scones, which seem to be the basic version. However knowing that even Konda doesn't like Raisin, I opted to keep the dough plain with chocolate chips added.

Also I wanted to make sure I complete all the bakes with just one cup of flour and so this simple Chocolate Chip Scone comes with one cup of flour added with choco chip, which made the dough change the texture and colour. This was the second recipe that I was making for the Mega BM. After getting into the mood of baking with the first one that was a muffin, I decided I would go in order so as to be ready with first week's post. 

After baking it, I realized that the final dish was not looking like how the scones that I have seen looked. The scone became more like a brownie and trust me when parents tasted it, they were so nostalgic, saying this was exactly like how it was when they had eaten in UK. I asked them what it was called and they were clueless, only that the taste was just the same as whatever they ate there. Kids were over the moon with bake and I couldn't ask for more.

Only the final dish what ended was not a scone, but more a brownie as the dough/batter turned out soft. I should not have added milk, rather should have kneaded like more like a dough. I hadn't checked out any videos before this. So when I saw how it was done, I realized my mistake. Still I didn't want to ditch this recipe as it was so tasty as how it turned out in the end.

Chocolate Chip Scones

Ingredients Needed:

All purpose flour - 1 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt a pinch
Butter - 1/4 cup
Chocolate Chip - 1/2 cup
Milk - 1/4 cup

How to make Chocolate chip Scones

Pre heat the oven at 185 C. Line a baking tray with butter paper. Keep it aside.

In a mixing bowl, take the the flour in a bowl, add sugar, baking powder, soda along with butter. Mix well. 

Then add the chocolate chips and combine together. Add the milk and pat down the dough on the lined tray.

Cut out the individual scones using the cookie slicer and bake in a pre heated oven for 20 mins.

Let it cool and serve with tea.


After mixing the chocolate chips, the cake turned brown colour after baking. The texture was more cake like than the scone like. 

The scones are supposed dusted with flour and sliced as scone shapes using the cookie slicer.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 51


veena krishnakumar April 1, 2015 at 12:03 AM  

I was expecting a chocolate bake from you and here it comes. Looks very good valli. Some day have to try this

Sandhya Ramakrishnan April 1, 2015 at 12:15 AM  

Scones or brownies, anything with chocolate and a simple recipe at the end would work for everyone! I personally like softer, chewier quick breads as compared to crumbly ones. SO this one I would like for sure :) So glad to begin the mega marathon with all of you!

Priya Srinivasan April 1, 2015 at 12:33 AM  

A chocolaty start to the mega BM! lovely scone valli!! so it is going to be all quickie breads from you!! Waiting for the visual treat!!

Srividhya April 1, 2015 at 12:39 AM  

Your email came exactly at 12.00 AM. wow. These are great scones. All of you are starting with cakes and bakes, I think I will be the only one to start with savory recipe

Priya Suresh April 1, 2015 at 12:52 AM  

I can start my day with this chocolate loaded scones with my coffee, well done and fantastic starting, wonderful to know that u are going to post under themes..

Foodiliciousnan April 1, 2015 at 1:47 AM  

And so, the kids loved the stuff. Whether it be a scone or a brownie! Brownie points to you for a winning recipe! And so we finally start the baking marathon and I'm excited as excited can be :)

Harini-Jaya R April 1, 2015 at 1:55 AM  

A great bake to start the marathon, Valli.

Nalini's Kitchen April 1, 2015 at 2:44 AM  

Delicious and tempting scones,sounds inviting..

Pavani N April 1, 2015 at 4:14 AM  

Such a delicious way to start the marathon Valli. Scone or brownie, doesn't matter -- as long as they are liked by everyone :-)
Looking forward to all your baked this month.

Padma Rekha April 1, 2015 at 4:57 AM  

I never tried making scones because i don't know the texture. good try Valli they are looking yummm.

Varadas Kitchen April 1, 2015 at 5:34 AM  

The end result sure looks nice. If you chop up the butter to mix in the flour while it is cold and use a little less milk you should end up with scones. But as long as the end result was delicious it does not really matter, right?

vaishali sabnani April 1, 2015 at 5:57 AM  

I knew it had to be chocolate:)) well its a wonderful start and the scone brownies look good and as you said taste great!

Nivedhanams Sowmya April 1, 2015 at 6:48 AM  

Perfect way to start the mega marathon!!! Looks so yummy

The Pumpkin Farm April 1, 2015 at 8:18 AM  

trust you to make good use of chocolates...rather the best use...scones with chocolates is a great idea...and a lovely way to kick so excited

Kalyani April 1, 2015 at 9:23 AM  

somehow I guessed u would start with chocolate ! wonderful start Valli, and a personal thanks for the baking BM, for all the experiements I made at home with yeast, especially :-))

Suma Gandlur April 1, 2015 at 9:48 AM  

I too guessed it would be chocolate and thought it was a bread. :) As Varada said, who cares as long as it tasted good.

Gayathri Kumar April 1, 2015 at 1:32 PM  

Whatever the name is, the dish looks yumm. I love the way it has turned out so moist and so much like a brownie...

Padmajha PJ April 1, 2015 at 1:49 PM  

I think most of us have multiple lists for sub themes and ditched them !Anyways, the scones are nice to be loaded with chocolate and no matter what it looks like, the taste speaks more about the success!

mykitchentrials April 1, 2015 at 9:01 PM  

Its great that you have themes despite starting late. The sconey browns must have been a delight to the kids :-). My theme is cake for almost three weeks :D and I have stopped being surprised about that!!

Saraswathi Tharagaram April 1, 2015 at 11:12 PM  

The scones are absolutely delicious! sure makes a kids favorite..Nice start with sweet touch..

Suja Ram April 2, 2015 at 5:57 AM  

First, thanks for enlightening me on different Bakes based on the way they are mixed. Anything with chocolate would be a sure hit. Your Scone looks great and perfect start for the Mega BM

Archana Potdar April 2, 2015 at 6:09 PM  

Scones or brownies oes it matter Valli as long as the bake is chocolate and just as yummy.

sneha datar April 3, 2015 at 3:17 PM  

These are tempting and addictive.

Manjula Bharath April 19, 2015 at 6:59 AM  

wow valli scones looks absolutely addictive and with chocolate in it am unable to resist myself.. Want to grab a slice right now. well I always love to start my day with chocolates and this is perfect... You always rock with your themes awaiting to see many more fantastic themes

Ruchi Indu April 20, 2015 at 9:17 PM  

Perfect way to start the marathon with a chocolaty recipe. Chocolate lovers would relish this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP