badge


Bread Bhatura | How to make Bread Bhatoora

>>  Wednesday, March 18, 2015

For the second day under BM#50, doing "One Ingredient, different dishes", my chosen one is Bread. Since two of the dishes were already decided, I was thinking how else to incorporate bread in a dish. I have made a Bread pudding, Bread halwa, Bread Bajjis, and what not. Maybe other than using fried bread pieces on biryani, I wasn't able to think of using bread in rice. 

My thoughts turned to making this for a breakfast item. Maybe one can crumble bread in atta and make parathas. And that led me to know about Poori. Needless to say pooris are my favorite dish and remembering the Bhaturas, I decided I would make Bread Baturas. While all the three dishes I made for this theme would be apt for using leftover bread, I bought fresh loaf and prepared. So prep your bread accordingly. While the texture didn't actually matter when I was mixing with the flour, make sure you warm it before using it for other types.
Since I decided it was going to be Bread Bhatura, I decided to make it for Sunday Breakfast. I made Channa Masala as side dish and kneaded the dough in the morning. The Bhuturas turned out super soft and delicious. Since the bread has yeast it in, the pooris turn out very soft and if you use milk, you will end up with crispy ones as well. 

Bhaturas always hold special memories for me. It always reminds me of my childhood Sunday times. There was a phase when Amma used to regularly make Baturas for Sunday Breakfast. As I have said, even if we have heavy breakfast, we do end up with heavy Sunday lunch as well. So you can imagine, the dinner will be such a plain affair. However we used to look so much towards indulging in those Bhaturas.

Then I tried including indifferent ingredients into a Batura and come up with different versions. So you can see the Aloo Bhatura.

Bhaturas are made with all purpose flour, and it invariablly drunks lot of oil, we tend to avoid it. Of course once in a while treat is always there. This reminds me that I have been planning on writing up a page with different Indian Bread, yet to do that Until then you read and enjoy this.




Bread Bhatura

Ingredients Needed:

All purpose flour - 2 cups
Bread Slices - 7 -8
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curds  - 2 - 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Water to knead / User milk for more richness
Oil for deep frying


How to make the Bread Bhaturas

Trim the Bread Slices and reserve the bread sides.

Cut the center soft part and pulse it couple of times to get crumbs.

Take the flour in a wide bowl, add the bread crumbs, curds, cumin seeds, salt and mix well.

First mix everything and then slowly add water/milk to knead to a soft stiff dough. You should knead it for about 10 mins for the dough to turn into soft one.

Rest for 10 mins. Knead again and pinch out equal sized balls. Dust well and roll out into discs of 5" diameter.

Heat a Kadai with oil. Check if oil is hot enough, then gently slide in the rolled out discs.

Press lightly on top to let it puff up. Flip to the other side and cook till it lightly browns.

Drain on a kitche towel.

Serve with Channa Masala


Notes:

Since bread is added, make sure the dough is very stiff, else it will drunk of oil.
Curds will make the dough soft and will aid in fermenting. Can sprinkle milk for more richness

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM


17 comments :

Nivedhanams Sowmya March 18, 2015 at 7:51 AM  

Very interesting one!!!! Well explained

sangeetha menon March 18, 2015 at 11:59 AM  

I remember my dada making yummy batooras. Loved the texture and taste. The addition of bread is quite innovative.

Kalyani March 19, 2015 at 10:36 AM  

made this recently for the kids and they loved it too :)

Saraswathi Tharagaram March 19, 2015 at 5:45 PM  

Interesting recipe Valli, Bookmarking this..bread bhatura truns great and sure my kids will love it..

Srividhya March 19, 2015 at 7:14 PM  

That batura looks crispy and very soft. great recipe

Varadas Kitchen March 20, 2015 at 4:14 AM  

Very innovative use of bread. Bhatura looks perfect.

Padmajha PJ March 20, 2015 at 9:03 AM  

Such delicious treats are surely welcome! Adding brad to batura is really very innovative!!!

Priya Srinivasan March 20, 2015 at 2:46 PM  

Oh puffy, cloudy bhatura's!!! Definitely a yummilicious combo bhatura and chana masala!

Sandhya Ramakrishnan March 20, 2015 at 8:41 PM  

This is such an interesting recipe! I am bookmarking this Valli :)

Jayanthi March 21, 2015 at 2:34 AM  

Bread batura...hmm!that's something very new to me. Looks awesome! Love it!

Priya Suresh March 21, 2015 at 2:40 PM  

Adding bread for making bhatura sounds interesting, well done..

sneha datar March 22, 2015 at 3:52 PM  

Nice to use bread for making bhatura.

Harini-Jaya R March 23, 2015 at 12:21 AM  

Bread in bhaturas sounds very innovative, Valli.

Suma Gandlur March 23, 2015 at 6:34 AM  

This is such an interesting recipe. I don't cook bhaturas at all because of the flour and frying parts. May be addition of brown bread crumbs make bhaturas a little less guilty.

Pavani N March 23, 2015 at 8:27 PM  

That is a clever idea to utilize the yeasty bread to make baturas. They look absolutely perfect -- puffy & golden.

Nalini's Kitchen March 24, 2015 at 2:10 AM  

Bhatura made with bread sounds interesting..it has puffed up very well..

Sarita March 24, 2015 at 11:45 PM  

Batura looks superb! they look too yummy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP