How to make Channa Masala | Spicy Chickpea Curry ~ Step by Step Recipe & Featured in Indian Express

>>  Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pin It

My kids love Chana Masala with Puri. Infact I love it too, and love the fact that they love it, which makes it possible for me to make it every other week. I know that's quite a tongue twister. There are two breakfast combos that my kids love, one is Appam Tomato Kurma and the other is the Poori Chana Masala. How many ever times I make it, they can eat that without complaints.

The Sunday I made this thali, it was even more wonderful as they got to eat their Appam Tomato Kurma for breakfast and the channa masala with pooris for lunch. Since I made methi puris, I also made some luchis for them. While Konda was fine with eating Methi Poori, Chinnu wanted more luchis. Then I fed him Chana Masala with Saffron rice, he liked that too. In all it was a delicious meal that my kids enjoyed too.

I have my usual recipes for chana masala and I also make it in couple of different recipes. I thought I should make it differently and since it was served for lunch, decided to make it spicy.

Spicy Chana Masala

 Step by Step Picture




Spicy Chana Masala

Ingredients Needed 

Kaduli Channa / Chickpea - 1 cup
Onion puree - 1 cup
Tomato puree - 1 & 1/2 cup
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Green Chili - 2 long
Salt to taste
Bay Leaf - 2
Cinnamon - 2
Cardamon - 1
Cloves - 2
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chana Masala powder - 1 tsp
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
Butter -1  tbsp

How to make Spicy Channa Masala

Wash and puree Onions and tomatoes seperately.

Heat a non stick pan with butter, add the whole spices. Stir for the spices to cook for couple of minutes.

Add the onion puree, mix well. Cook in simmer till the onion puree is cooked well.

Next add the tomato puree and continue cooking. When oil starts coming out of the paste, add all the spice powders and combine everything well. Add cooked Channa, mashing handful of channa for making the gravy thick.

Finally add the slit green chilies, cook in simmer with lid closed.

After 5 - 7 mins, add one cup of water and bring to boil. 

Add coriander leaves and switch off.

Serve with Saffron Rice.

I have some wonderful news to share. When Preeti of Indian Expressed touched based wanting to feature me in her article on Chennai Bloggers, she was keen on talking about Spice your Life!. I was elated and so glad that my little blog got its share of limelight for all the nice things. 



16 comments :

Priya Yallapantula May 8, 2012 at 11:53 PM  

Absolutely love it :)

Sag May 9, 2012 at 12:43 AM  

Wow congrats on you citing on indian express!! way to go

foodiliciousnan May 9, 2012 at 12:53 AM  

This is wonderful Valli! Congrats!! And your step by step for the Chana masala has me hungry at this odd hour!

Chef Mireille May 9, 2012 at 6:35 AM  

congrats on the article!
Mireille
http://gourmetglobal.blogspot.com

ANU May 9, 2012 at 6:52 AM  

wow very nice plate full of variety food...yum yum..

DivyaGCP May 9, 2012 at 7:23 AM  

Delicious Channa Masala..
A big hearty congrats to you on being featured in Indian Express!!

Divya's Culinary Journey
Showcase- Desserts
Lets Party-Breakfast

Divya Kudua May 9, 2012 at 7:33 AM  

Congrats on getting featured Valli.Poori-channa is one of our favorite breakfast dishes too.Btw,you seem to have missed the step of adding cooked channa into the gravy,or am I missing something?

Srivalli May 9, 2012 at 7:35 AM  

Thank you everybody for the wishes

Divya, hehehe..thanks for pointing out..I thought I wrote, anyway when I blog at midnight obvious to miss out something, but not the main thing right..LOL!

Aarthi May 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM  

congrats valli and awesome looking channa masala

Priya May 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM  

Wow super tempting channa masala,wish to have with some pooris,love it..Btw congrats for been featured in Indian Express Valli,thats really fantastic.

notyet100 May 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM  

Congrats for being featured :) and the thali looks delicious,,

Champa May 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM  

Congratulations Valli. Well deserved recognition.

radha May 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM  

Congratulations!

Zari(Nilam) May 11, 2012 at 2:27 AM  

Congrats......thali is nice.
zariafrozrecipes.blogspot.com

hoteluri albena May 11, 2012 at 1:07 PM  

I`ve tried this recipe and i`m really impressed, it has a very good taste. My both child tried it and they like it a lot. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Dinesh Sharma May 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM  

Saffron rice with chana masala truly i love it its very famous
Indian Recipes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP