Shikran Poli | How to make Sweet Banana Milk with Roti

>>  Friday, April 22, 2016

Shikran Poli - A to Z Maharashtrian Sweets

We are on S on our Journey through the cuisines, where I am taking a tour on A to Z Maharashtrian Sweets. Today's dish is a simple combination, that seems to be the childhood favorite dish of many Maharashtrians. Yet this is something you will not find listed in the restaurants or well known to others. I guess every cuisine has some dishes that are only known and common in the households rather than being cooked or served in the hotels. 

Though I had another choice of making Sanjachi Poli / Sanjuri Poli / Sanjori Poli / Sheerachi Poli as it is known by different names, it is a poli made with soji halwa. The halwa is the same, just you will end up stuffing the poli with the sooji halwa. This particular sweet is quite popular in other states as well. Anyway, I wasn't prepared to make a sooji halwa on the day I was making these dishes.
When I came across this Shikran Poli, I knew this is what I was going to make. It's a simple sweet dish made with milk, sugar, and ripe banana pieces added along with Masala Doodh. The tradition demanded I eat with roti, I did, however, I liked the chilled sweet as such. 

It is also referred as Maharashtrian Kelichi Shikran / Sweet Banana Milk with Roti.

There is not much of a recipe, so let me quote Priya as she wrote on her post on Shikran. she says one wouldn't find it on any restaurant menu, nor would it be part of any religious or celebratory meal. But shikran is made regularly in Maharashtrian homes everywhere.

It is made with bananas, milk, and sugar. That's it. Traditionally it is supposed to be just this. Some elevate the taste by add Doodh masala, which I added as well.

So I simply took a bowl of hot milk, mixed it with sugar, allowed it to cool down. Then mashed few banana pieces, then added rest of the slices. Sprinkled dudha-cha-masala on top. (Dudha-cha-masala is made of powdered almonds, pistas, cardamom and a bit of saffron combined. It is added to make masala milk)

As I said the chilled banana milk tasted awesome!

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


Srividhya Gopalakrishnan April 22, 2016 at 1:22 AM  

Interesting.. Never heard about Dudha-cha-masala. Will see if I can find them here. Great you got a chance to prepare your childhood favorite.

Suma Gandlur April 22, 2016 at 1:32 AM  

Simple yet delicious dish, Valli. As is norm with Indian regional dishes, the version in the neighboring state is called seekarane. It is made with other fruits too.

vaishali sabnani April 22, 2016 at 8:18 AM  

Very interesting, but I am wondering how people can have roti with this..I mean it is something which perhaps I would never be able to do...milk and bananas is of course an ultimate combo and adding masala to it will surely take it to another level...but the concept of beyond me, though vey interesting.

Priya Suresh April 22, 2016 at 3:33 PM  

Omg, this shikran poli is just inviting me and that sweet banana milk and roti combo looks absolutely stunning.

Usha Rao April 23, 2016 at 2:17 AM  

I am not a big fan of bananas by can imagine the flavors of the sweet. It is so simple and any banana eater would like it as it is.

Gayathri Kumar April 23, 2016 at 10:07 AM  

Very interesting combination of milk and roti. The milk with banana and spice sounds delicious though..

Amara Annapaneni April 23, 2016 at 5:17 PM  

Never heard about this milk, sounds delicious. I have the same concern as Vaishali, milk with roti..... Quite interesting though.

Pavani N April 24, 2016 at 7:07 AM  

I was expecting an actual recipe for the dish and it is just boil milk, mix sugar and add banana. But I'm sure with just 3 ingredients and few minutes of prep work this dish must have tasted awesome. I'm tempted to try it very soon -- with all the bananas I always have this will probably be made very often now :-)

Nalini's Kitchen April 24, 2016 at 8:34 AM  

Sounds very interesting Valli..never heard of this.

Harini-Jaya R April 26, 2016 at 10:30 PM  

I am sure such simple down to earth recipes make life so much easier. My little one is sure to like it.

Smruti Shah April 30, 2016 at 5:18 AM  

A very commonly made dish in our house too :) Valli I loved this recipe as it took me back to a dish I used to enjoy in my childhood when I did not like the vegetable mom made at home!

Sapana Behl May 5, 2016 at 7:09 AM  

Very interesting combination.I would have never imagined eating roti with banana milk.But it surely looks nice.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan May 10, 2016 at 4:40 AM  

What an interesting recipe. SOmetimes the simplest of the recipes are the tastiest ones.

Ruchi Indu May 14, 2016 at 1:40 PM  

we too often have milk and banana just like that. never knew this is a household one in the maharashtra... good one

The Pumpkin Farm May 30, 2016 at 12:17 PM  

my childhood is rolled up into this one dish...between me and my father we can finish up a dozen bananas in a jiffy...loved the way this is presented

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP