Mande | How to make Chavde ~ Ganesh Chaturthi Special

Mande - A to Z Maharashtrian Sweet

Mande has been on my to-do list for the longest period. Still when I was finalizing the list for this series, I never thought about it as it never struck me that it was a Maharashtrian sweet. I had bookmarked because I was planning to make different Neivedyams for Ganesh Chaturthi and never came about making this. 

I had on the list starting with M, sweets like  Moogachya Peethache Laadoo, Masala Doodh, Mangana. Since I seem to have ended up making quite some ladoos, I thought of Moogachya Peethache, which is moong dal laddos, then read about Mangana, which was same as our channa dal payasam. As I already have both Amma's and Athamma's version shared, there was nothing new to the recipe. 

I was still thinking over this when an FB link took me to a blog that I used to read long back. I happened to read through a couple of posts when suddenly this Mande popped up. I immediately went back to my pending list and lo I have this bookmarked. The recipe is so simple and quick to get done. Obviously, you will find me frying at the fall of a pin, so I wondered why I delayed in making this for so long. Still I was happy I have a new one in the series to be shared here.

When I had made and enjoyed the sweet, it reminded me of something similar that we make. I am not able to pinpoint. However this is a sweet indulgence and so quick to make that you can do it in no time if your kids want some sweets for snacks. Which mine never does, so I may have to rethink on that. 
According to the source, these Chavde are popular during Ganesh Chaturthi pooja, along with Modak. I can only imagine how much enjoyment goes in while enjoying these sweets. 


These sweets were also the quickest to disappear. It was unbelievable that these got over within minutes of clicking these pictures. So take my word, make these and enjoy!




Mande / Chavde

Makes 10 pieces

Ingredients:

For the dough:

All-purpose flour - 1 cup 
Salt - 1/2 tsp 
Vegetable shortening / Ghee - 1 tbsp 
Water to knead

Oil for Deep frying

For the stuffing:

Powdered sugar 1/2 cup
Cardamom 1 tsp powdered
sesame seeds - 1 tbsp 
shredded coconut - 2 tbsp 
Roasted Mixed nuts for garnish (this is not traditionally added)

How to make Mande 

For the dough

In a wide bowl, take all the ingredients and slowly add water to knead to a soft, pliable dough. It should not be very soft but well kneaded. Once done, let it rest for at least 15 minutes.

For the filling

Toast the sesame seeds in a pan until they just start to change color. Turn off the stove and allow the seeds to cool.

Chop and roast all the nuts, keep it aside. 

Take all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. 

to make the chavde

Heat a kadai with just enough oil for deep frying.

Divide the dough into 10 pieces.

Dust well and roll each ball into a really thin disc, around 5-6 inches in diameter. Pat off the flour that may be on the discs.

Slide the discs into hot oil, and fry on both sides till it becomes stiff. The disc should be stiff but at the same time soft enough to fold over. 


Place the disc on a plate covered with a kitchen towel to absorb any oil. I also keep another towel handy to blot away any oil on the top. Working fast, sprinkle about a tablespoon of the sugar mixture over one-half of the chavda, then fold over the other half to form a semi-circle. Spring a couple more teaspoons of the sugar mixture over half the semi circle and fold over once more.

Set aside to cool, preferably on a rack. You have to let the chavde cool thoroughly for the crispy, crackly texture.

Enjoy..



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , , , , , , ,