Gul Poli | How to make Jaggery Stuffed Flatbread

>>  Friday, April 8, 2016

Gul Poli - A to Z Maharashtrian Sweets

Happy Ugadi to all my readers!

It was an easy pick for G. Though I had a choice like GuLacha Shira, Gul Shevya, Ghavan Ghatle, Gavhle, God Shankarpale, Gulachi poli was the one that was appealing. This Jaggery stuffed Flatbread might seem quite simple before you read the recipe. You will be in for a surprise how many things go into the stuffing.

Rolling out this polis is tough if your stuffing has become hard. The best way to make this will be to just add grated jaggery. However I went ahead and MW for a while, maybe even few minutes that ended up with a thicker syrup.

Still I managed to make this correctly in the end. Also, as I observed, my other dough was always enough for the stuffing, so even though I didn't follow any recipe to the T, I managed to use up what I made.

I adapted my Gulpoli from here and here. Since the day I made this, I also made 4 other sweets, I had eyeballed the roasted nuts as I had prepared for all the dishes. Even the dough was kneaded for another dish. 

As the recipes claim, these polis stay good for nearly 2 to 3 days. Since I made so many sweets, it was obvious it won't get completed the same day. So I was happy that these have a good shelf life at room temperature as well.

Gulpoli /  Gul Poli/ Jaggery stuffed flat bread

Ingredients Needed:

For Outer Layer

Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
All purpose flour - 1 cup 
Water - 1 cup 
Cooking Oil - 2 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1 tsp

For the stuffing

Chickpea flour/ Besan - 2 tbsp 
Cashewnuts, Pistas and Almonds - 1/2 cup
Grated Jaggery - 1.5 cups
Poppy seeds - 1 tspn
Sesame seeds - 1 tspn 

How to make the Gulpoli

For the Dough

Mix all the ingredients of the dough to make a soft pliable dough. 

Set the dough aside to rest for 1-2 hours

For making the stuffing

Dry roast the poppy seeds, sesame seeds separately. Remove and keep it aside. 

In the same pan, heat ghee, roast the nuts and remove. Next roast the besan till the raw smell is removed.

Grind the poppy seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, cashewnuts to form a paste or powder. Add Besan and add every

Melt the grated jaggery for 20 secs, then add rest of the ingredients to form a sticky dough.

To assemble and roast the stuffed flatbread

Pinch equal number of balls of dough and stuffing.

Roll out the dough and place the stuffing in the centre.

Close the stuffing and then roll it out gently to thin flat bread

Roast on hot tawa with ghee on both sides, don't flip often as it may break.

Let it cool to form a crispy bread. 

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


Srividhya Gopalakrishnan April 8, 2016 at 12:30 AM  

Perfect recipe for the ugadi day. :-)

Amara Annapaneni April 8, 2016 at 1:34 AM  

Gulpoli looks delicious Valli. Love the addition of cashews, pistachios and almonds:)

Priya Suresh April 8, 2016 at 1:35 AM  

How addictive this poli na, just love it. You are tempting me again to make some gul polis.

Suma Gandlur April 8, 2016 at 4:07 AM  

Lovely polis with yummy filling. I thought you were going to go with the classic puranpoli. :) And happy Ugadi.

Usha April 8, 2016 at 6:15 AM  

With all those nuts and seeds, stuffing and the poli must have tasted great.

rajani April 8, 2016 at 6:26 AM  

This is my dad's favorite (poli I mean). Nice Valli :-)

Smruti Shah April 8, 2016 at 7:50 AM  

Gujaratis have their own version of Puran Poli, but I completely love the Maharashtrian version of this dish. Amazing dish!!

Gayathri Kumar April 8, 2016 at 8:17 AM  

This is one delicious filling. I have used channa dhal based filling but this sounds so good..

vaishali sabnani April 8, 2016 at 8:32 AM  

The addition of chick pea flour is new to me, my version will come up soon. The polis look super even after the jaggery getting hard:)

Sandhya Ramakrishnan April 8, 2016 at 8:45 AM  

That is a very different kind of filling. I would have ever thought of stuffing with besan. Love the loaded poli.

Sapana Behl April 8, 2016 at 9:10 PM  

Happy Ugadi to you too Valli.The poli makes a nice sweet and must have tasted great.

Pavani N April 8, 2016 at 11:18 PM  

Your polis look sooo soft and delicious Valli. Filling is very interesting with the addition of besan and nuts. Good pick for G.

Nalini's Kitchen April 9, 2016 at 6:07 AM  

Wonderful polis with an interesting stuffing,bookmarking to try soon..

Harini-Jaya R April 10, 2016 at 8:57 AM  

Love the gul poli. The filling sounds so delicious.

Nisha Sundar April 10, 2016 at 4:58 PM  

Dry fruits stuffed poli is awesome Valli. From your series I find the Maharashtrian cuisine very interesting. Should try to make some at home..

Kalyani April 10, 2016 at 9:30 PM  

Besan n nut as filling is totally new .. They hv come out so well

Padma Rekha April 11, 2016 at 2:47 PM  

That besan part is very interesting!! no need of cooking and grinding dal. Looking so delicious will sure give a try...

Chef Mireille April 14, 2016 at 10:33 AM  

love the filling - great for breakfast or a snack

Padmajha PJ April 18, 2016 at 8:32 AM  

That is a yum Poli Srivalli. The filling sounds really delicious!

Priya Srinivasan April 20, 2016 at 9:25 AM  

Such a rich poli, love the stuffing valli. I always make little extra stuffing, as I have monkeys who eat them as such!! This would definitely vanish even before I start rolling them!!

Ruchi Indu April 24, 2016 at 12:01 PM  

That is a very yum poli recipe. Perfect for ugadhi

veena krishnakumar May 13, 2016 at 11:22 PM  

Such a delicious and rich Filling. Omg my bookmark is increasing:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP