Eggless Chocolate Tea Cake

>>  Thursday, March 3, 2016

We are starting another new edition, BM#62. At the risk of alienating my regular readers because of this chocolate overload, I am force to do the same. Because I love cooking with Chocolate and luckily my kids love it too. From the recent surprise my fellow BM members gave for my birthday, I realized that everybody think that I love eating chocolate. No, more than eating, I enjoy cooking with it and the fact that I love the look my kids have, on seeing a chocolate treat.

Lets have this understood first, I feature so many chocolate dishes, not because I eat them, rather I enjoy seeing those dishes being enjoyed. Hope we have this cleared now..:)

Coming back to the chocolates and themes, oh yes its going to be a chocolate week again! I didn't hear those bhooos by the way. The chocolate treats I have lined up for this week will call for more vocal expressions than crying ok. Anyway coming to my obsession to Tea Cakes, I decided to make this Chocolate Tea Cake. 

Can you imagine the irony of things? I am neither a tea person nor indulge in Tea Cakes. However the term Tea Cake holds much fancy to me, rather my imagination. The many books I lapped during my growing up years, always had kids enjoying a picnic with Sandwiches, Scones, Tea Cakes and Muffin. This is one of the reason why I am so fond of these dishes. 

Tea Cakes have that hold on my imagination and while I didn't actually drink a tea with my cake, I had my coffee, and arey wah! what a combination yaar, I thought!

So if you like to enjoy a beverage, have this slice and enjoy Life!


Eggless Chocolate Tea Cake / Milk cake

Ingredients Needed:

Plain flour - 3/4 cup
Cocoa - 1/4 cup
Oil - 1/4 cup minus 1 tbsp
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
Milk - 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp
Vinegar - 2 tsp
Water- 2 tbsp
Vanilla few drops

How to make the Chocolate Tea Cake

Boil the milk and add in the vinegar to curdle it. Keep aside to cool down.

Mix sugar, oil and ghee in a bowl.

Add the curdled milk mixture and vanilla to the sugar and mix to combine.

Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda into the wet mixture and gently fold to combine.

Depending on the consistency add either milk or water to make the batter to dropping consistency. Mine was thick, so had to add 2 tbsp extra milk.

Have a lined baking tray ready. You can use 8" square pan.

Bake in a preheated oven at 170 degree C for 30 mins

Remove onto to wire rack and cool down a bit before slicing it. 

Cool down completely and then slice if you are consuming it later. 

Store in an airtight container. 

Keeps well for 2 days at room temperature or for a week if kept in the fridge.

Sending this to Kalyani, who is guest hosting my Kids Delight Event, themed on Chocolate.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM


Usha March 3, 2016 at 12:13 AM  

haha, another week of chocolate treats from your end!! Now you are proving us right for picking chocolate recipes for your birthday. Though I did not cook with chocolate, that was on top of my list and I had also shortlisted a recipe. No matter how many times you say you do not eat chocolate, for us you are a chocoholic.. :)

Anyway, this eggless teacake looks moist and mouthwatering

Amara Annapaneni March 3, 2016 at 12:24 AM  

Very interesting cake Valli, I love your experiments with chocolate. Bookmarked this one:)

Sarita March 3, 2016 at 12:41 AM  

Chocolate cake all time favorite! Looks delicious..

vaishali sabnani March 3, 2016 at 3:42 AM  

Lovely chocolate cake ! And the term Tea Cake also fancies me , I don't even require a drink to go with it ! Chocolate any time , cake anytime !

rajani March 3, 2016 at 7:01 AM  

Chocolate overload is always fine Valli :-)...and I knew you were cooking the chocolate dishes only for the kids ;-)..

Suma Gandlur March 3, 2016 at 7:01 AM  

My husband eats only a couple of sweets and that too rarely but surprisingly prefers them with a cup of coffee just as you mentioned. Your teacake looks fabulous and I had guessed already that you cook chocolate based stuff for the kiddos. :))

Nalini's Kitchen March 3, 2016 at 9:39 AM  

Cake looks moist and soft,wish to have a slice..

Archana Potdar March 3, 2016 at 11:29 AM  

I don't like my tea with anything sweet Valli so tea cakes are a fascinating me. Chocolate.... Full week double mmmmm

Annu Swamy March 3, 2016 at 2:57 PM  

This yummy chocolate cake looks very inviting whether you have tea or coffee or you do not have anything.This will definitely be a hit.

Priya Suresh March 4, 2016 at 1:05 AM  

Super like, anything with chocolate is just prefect for me,such a super moist tea cake.

Sowmya :) March 4, 2016 at 7:50 AM  

Chocolate cake looks drool worthy! And chocoholism is a good thing.

Padmajha PJ March 4, 2016 at 9:06 AM  

I have a regular tea cake in my blog and this one with chocolate sounds so perfect!My kids are bound to love this one.

Ruchi Indu March 4, 2016 at 9:10 AM  

I guess kids like anything with chocolate on.... So no problems Valli - keep posting chocolate dishes...

Sandhya Ramakrishnan March 5, 2016 at 2:50 AM  

You truly are our chocolate queen! I am amazed at how many recipes you can come up with chocolate. Lovely tea cake!

Gayathri Kumar March 5, 2016 at 9:11 AM  

Whether you eat chocolate or not, you are the chocolate queen of this group Valli. This cakes looks so yum.

Sapana Behl March 6, 2016 at 3:18 AM  

My husband is fond of tea cakes.This chocolate cake sounds perfect for him.Lovely

Harini-Jaya R March 8, 2016 at 12:59 AM  

These chocolate based treats are what the kids look forward to, right? Lovely tea cake.

Pavani N March 8, 2016 at 3:03 AM  

Lovely chocolate cake Valli. Looks so moist and delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP