Crazy Chocolate Cake ~ No Egg, Milk, Butter and One Bowl Cake

>>  Saturday, March 5, 2016

I have been reading and seeing couple of these Depression Cake and wanted to try my hand at making it myself. I previously had made some one bowl cakes and self serving cakes, this is with more quantity of flour. The original depression cake was created during the depression period of World War 1, and it was quickly made without Eggs, Milk or Butter. I recently saw this on TipHero and is adapted from it. 

The cake is very moist and can be eaten just as such. However I went ahead added a frosting myself. I made the mistake of reducing the sugar to 3.4 cup instead of a cup. With the frosting the sweetness was fine for me, however if you are not frosting it, you will need a cup of sugar. Plus kids invariable like it more sweet. Still I found my kids enjoying it.

For the final day of chocolate theme, enjoy this Wacky Cake.

Sending this to Kalyani, who is guest hosting my Kids Delight Event, themed on Chocolate.

Crazy Cake Recipe

Ingredients Needed:

Flour - 1 & 1/2 cups
Cocoa powder - 3 to 4 tbsp
Sugar - 1 cup
Baking Soda - 1 tsp
Baking powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt a pinch
Vinegar - 1 tsp
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Cooking Oil - 5 tbsp
Water: 1 cup, plus 2 tbsp (if needed)

How to make the Cake

Preheat oven to 185 C.

In a baking tray, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar together.

Make three depression; add vanilla essesnce, oil, vinegar.

Pour water over it. Mix well until smooth. Depending on the consistency add little more water.

Bake for 30 mins in preheated oven or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.

Top with chocolate frosting, else serve as such.

Chocolate Frosting

Dark Chocolate Chip - 1/2 cup
Milk Chocolate compond - 1/4 tsp
Butter - 2 tbsp
Cream - 1/2 cup

MW all the ingredients starting with a min and cream well.

Pour this over the baked chocolate, let it sit for sometime.

Slice into pieces

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM


rajani March 6, 2016 at 8:39 AM  

Some things truly stand the test of time...

Sapana Behl March 6, 2016 at 9:31 AM  

Locely chocolate cake and sounds a guilt free indulgence too.

Priya Suresh March 6, 2016 at 6:27 PM  

Crazy chocolate cake will definitely please my tastebuds..tempting to the core.

Gayathri Kumar March 7, 2016 at 2:27 PM  

I have been seeing this cake all around FB groups now. I think it is time to try it. With the frosting the cake looks so tempting..

Harini-Jaya R March 8, 2016 at 12:53 AM  

Sounds like a deal for chocolate lovers!

Suma Gandlur March 8, 2016 at 2:50 AM  

Cake sounds great. One should appreciate the shrewd, budget friendly cake recipes people came up with during war/ depression time.

Pavani N March 8, 2016 at 3:11 AM  

This is one of my favorite chocolate cakes. Love how moist and delicious it turns out every time and it is very easy to put together.

Amara Annapaneni March 9, 2016 at 8:43 PM  

The depression cake looks delicious especially the frosting is just amazing.

Archana Potdar March 9, 2016 at 9:03 PM  

Ok now this is another chocolate cake I need to try. I love the looks of this one. Must have tatsted amazing

Usha March 22, 2016 at 9:52 PM  

Cake looks delicious with the frosting. No butter cakes are always welcome.. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP