Vegetarian Paella | How to make Spanish Vegetarian Paella

We are starting the fourth week of BM#61 and for day 1, I have chosen to share an easy Vegetarian Paella, from Spain. During our International BM, I ended up bookmarking quite a few dishes for each country. Since I had an interesting Chocolate drink finalized, , I couldn't make this rice dish. Then I saw Harini making it and decided it will be such an easy one not to make it. 

So when this theme of Meal Idea came to mind, I thought I should make it. Many times or rather mostly when I decide on a theme, the idea comes in randomly. Meaning I think of a theme as I am traveling or cooking something. Most times when I am thinking of new ideas, something comes up and I sort of develop the theme on those basis. Few of them wrote back asking what exactly I had in mind when I say Meal Ideas. I told them that they can use their imagination and be creative and showcase what exactly comes to their mind and what they end up cooking when they want to plan a meal.



To what I think, a meal can be a lunch or a dinner or well a breakfast too. The ideas you can have can be used for anytime of the day. It can be simple, quick or elaborate and exhautive. I am fine with anything. I love checking out ideas.

For the day 1, it is Spanish Vegetarian Paella. It is apparently very popular as a street food in spain. There are different types of paella, the vegetarian paella or the paella de verduras, has white rice or the short grain spainish rice, green beans, seasoning such as saffron and rosemary. It is always cooked with olive oil. I ended up being creative by using green peas and chickpea as double beans just won't be seen. 






Vegetarian Paella

Ingredients Needed:

Uncooked Rice - 1 1/2 cups
Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
Garlic, grated - 3-4 cloves
Onion, chopped - 3/4 cup
Saffron strands 1/4 tsp
Tomatoes, chopped - 3/4 cup
Green Bell Pepper, cored, chopped - 1/2 cup
Yellow/Orange Bell Pepper, cored, chopped  - 1/2 cup
Chickpea -  1 cup
Fresh Peas - 1/2 cup
Vegetable Broth - 2 cups
Salt as needed
Lemon / Lime juice as needed
Green Chilies - 2 (I added)

How to make Vegetarian Paella

Heat Olive oil in a non stick pan. Saute the grated garlic, onion until the onions turn light brown. Add green chilies, peasm capsicum. Saute well. Add the uncooked rice

Add chopped tomatoes and let them cook.

Now add saffron strands and saute until the rice changes color.

Pour in 2 cups of vegetable broth, reduce the flame, cover and let it cook for 10 minutes.

Remove from fire and keep it covered. Squeeze some lemon/lime juice as needed just before serving.





Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

Labels: , , , , , ,