Vazhakkai Podimas Recipe | Valakkai Podimas

>>  Tuesday, January 5, 2016

For the final day of Regional cuisine, from Tamil Nadu, I have a favorite dry saute, that I have always enjoyed, yet made it myself for the first time. This Vazhakkai Podimas is famous in the circle it gets done and I have been in the recieving end many times. To think I have never made it myself, was quite surprising. So I felt I ought to rectify it soon.

When I served it with the Pavakkai Pitlai, it was a perfect match. Hubby dear even said he likes it this way much better than the regular poriyal method. One can make it quite spicy or dal rich by adding channa dal. I kept it quite simple as I felt the pitlai was rich enough.

If you are looking for simple kurmas to make, check out the Aloo Gobi Kurma

Vazhakkai Podimas

Ingredients Needed:

Raw Plantain - 2
Coconut - 3 tbsp
Red Chilies - 4 to 5
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp

For tempering

Hing a pinch
Tumeric powder
Mustard Seeds, Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Red chili - 2
curry leaves

How to make the podimas

wash and chop the plantain into half. Pressure cook with enough water. Once the pressure falls, peel off the skin.

Grate the plantain or mash.

Heat a non stick pan with oil. Temper with mustard, Urad Dal, curry leaves, hing and slit red chilies. Saute well.

Grind coconut with red chilies to a smooth powder. Add this to the pan.

Saute well till the coconut is cooked well. This takes about 2 to 3 mins. Now add the cooked plantain. Add salt, turmeric powder and sprinkle some water. Cover with lid and cook for 5 to 7 mins.


The coconut can be roasted along with channa dal and ground. That will make it even more rich.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM


Gayathri Kumar January 5, 2016 at 11:21 AM  

Even I do podimas but little differently. I use grated coconut as we do for simple poriyal. This version looks very nice..

Hiba abbas January 5, 2016 at 4:32 PM  

This is new to me :-)

Priya Suresh January 6, 2016 at 11:57 AM  

Love vazhakkai podimas with rasam rice. Nothing can beat this combo, dont make me hungry like this..

Kalyani January 6, 2016 at 12:30 PM  

love the podimas when the vazhakkai is grated as you have done, valli !

vaishali sabnani January 6, 2016 at 6:13 PM  

That's a new one for me from your treasure Valli ! Interesting !

Pavani N January 7, 2016 at 7:24 AM  

Delicious plantain curry. Looks very easy to make.

Cathleen January 7, 2016 at 7:20 PM  

Your photos are very pretty! This looks tasty!

Sowmia pragash January 7, 2016 at 7:20 PM  

Different way to have vazhaikai. Thanks for step by step pics.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan January 8, 2016 at 5:59 AM  

I love making podimas at times out of raw banana and potatoes. It is a pleasant change from the routine vazhakkai fry.

Nalini's Kitchen January 8, 2016 at 8:24 AM  

We do make podimas a lot but in a different way.This version sounds new to me,looks tempting.

rajani January 8, 2016 at 7:03 PM  

My MIL's podimas taste really good. This just reminded me of hers!

Harini-Jaya R January 8, 2016 at 7:19 PM  

Very interesting one.

Sapana Behl January 9, 2016 at 2:15 AM  

very interesting curry.Looks like a great side for roti.

Suma Gandlur January 24, 2016 at 4:24 AM  

Love it. This has become one of my favorite ways of cooking plantain recently.

veena krishnakumar January 29, 2016 at 6:12 AM  

Love podimas. Perfect with sambhar for lunch

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP