badge


Vegetarian Gyros with Tzatziki | Grilled Veggie Gyos

>>  Thursday, September 3, 2015

True to science, discovery of great things happens accidentally! I think it applies to cooking as well or rather recipes in my case today. I am not sure how I landed in reading about Tzatziki. Something made me persistent in reading more about it. One led to another and I ended up reading about Gyos. Wiki says a gyro is a Greek dish made with mostly grilled meat and alternatively can be made with feta or haloumi cheese as well. And usually served in a pita bread or sandwich stuffed with onions, tomatoes and Tzatziki sauce. 

Reading that it can be served with cheese, or grilled meat, I decided I would opt for grilled vegetables or Paneer. Just to see if there are other players who have already made this and enjoyed, I searched the net and lo I am the last person on earth to discovery Vegetarian Gyro and there was one with Paneer/ Indian Cottage Cheese as well. 

Having a tailored dish is such a convenient task I tell you. I decided to read through both the sites and try out the best I can make for myself. I wanted to make both grilled veggies and paneer blend. Made a Roti for the wrap and the sauce was all ready by the time I assembled it. The paneer mix came out so well that most of it was gobbled off before I could even think about it properly. Then I said I would need some for gyro and if they wanted, they can have the gyro as well.

I was making for the vegetarians at home and this being a new dish, Konda had to taste and approve. She liked it very much and even skipped her chicken for this sake. 

Today's combination is Vegetarian Gyros with Tzatziki, a Greek Specialty. Its the Day 3 today under BM#56, Mega Marathon, Buffet On Table!

The combination has been inspired by this and this. The pictures alone were drool-worthy enough to tempt me right away!



Vegetarian Gyros

Ingredients Needed

Whole wheat tortillas or rotis- 4 large
Lettuce leaves- 4-6 (I skipped)
Onion- 1 med, thinly sliced
Tomato- 1 large, chopped fine
Cucumber- 1 thinly sliced
Tzatziki- 1 cup

For the Grilled Vegetables and Paneer

Cottage cheese - 1 cup cubed
Cauliflower florets - 5 -6 
Capsicum, cubed - 1/4 cup
Greek style seasoning- 1/4 tsp
Garlic- 2 cloves, crushed
Vinegar- 1 tsp
Olive oil- 1 tbsp
Salt and pepper to taste

For the seasoning blend:

Red Chili powder / Paprika powder- 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder- a pinch
Nutmeg powder- a pinch
Cumin powder- 1/4 tsp
Mixed herbs- 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black Pepper- 1tsp

Original recipe calls for Onion powder, I used minced onions and sauteed it and then added to the grilled vegetables. I used about 1 medium onion.

How to make the Gyro

For the Greek Seasoning Blend
Combine all the ingredients and blend them in a blender or spice grinder to a fine powder and store in an air tight container. 

Place the cottage cheese in a bowl, and sprinkle half a table spoon of the seasoning mix, crushed garlic, vinegar and olive oil. Mix well set aside for an hour.

Cook the mixture over medium heat till a little dry. Remove from heat and set aside. Grill the cauliflower and capsicum over flame and when charred, keep it aside. 

Heat a pan with oil, saute minced onions and saute till browned. Then add the paneer and grilled vegetables, toss together.

To assemble the Gyros

Heat the tortillas or rotis slightly on a hot tawa and place it on a plate. Place a lettuce leaf, if using, in the center of the tortillas and place 3-4 slices of cucumber on the lettuce.

Next place some sliced onions, chopped tomatoes and sprinkle some salt and pepper.

Spoon a table spoon of cottage cheese, vegetable mixture over the salad and top it with tzatziki. I even spread it first on the rotis before placing the onions.

Roll up the tortilla into a cone and secure it with a tooth pick.

Serve immediately with tzatziki on the side.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56



21 comments :

Usha September 3, 2015 at 12:13 AM  

You picked one of the most popular combo meal from Greece.

Sapana Behl September 3, 2015 at 12:31 AM  

The vegetarian version sounds so tempting.Nice combo.

Nivedhanams Sowmya September 3, 2015 at 6:07 AM  

would love to relish this!! super awesome... i am so in love with your clicks..

vaishali sabnani September 3, 2015 at 4:59 PM  

Wow Valli instantly bookmarking ! Such food is always welcome in my family, it looks too good and is very very inviting. Absolutely fantastic!

Kalyani September 3, 2015 at 8:09 PM  

Bookmarking to try !! My family would love it too 😊😊 good job !

Padma Rekha September 3, 2015 at 8:10 PM  

Tzatziki is my favorite dip that whole setup is making me drool..

The Pumpkin Farm September 3, 2015 at 10:17 PM  

wow Gyros is popular in turkey a doner kebabs and wraps and i made a version of it today...this looks beautiful

Harini-Jaya R September 4, 2015 at 6:25 PM  

That is a very interesting combo, Love your version. Sounds very flavorful.

Srividhya September 5, 2015 at 2:25 AM  

Vegetarian gyros are simply suberb. Love the crunchy cauliflowers

sneha datar September 5, 2015 at 4:07 PM  

Had Gyros in Greece I sure this vegetarian one is yummy too.

Priya Suresh September 6, 2015 at 12:47 PM  

Love the stuffing went into the Gyros, have seen non veg version, but this vegetarian version sounds awesome..lovely combo again.

Gayathri Kumar September 7, 2015 at 10:10 AM  

This is a wonderful combination. I have tried it once and we just loved it.

Padmajha PJ September 7, 2015 at 5:17 PM  

The vegetarian version sounds delicious and my kids will enjoy this for sure...

Sandhiya September 7, 2015 at 6:22 PM  

Gyros, again new to me..OMG, i'm gonna learn lot of new dishes from this Meg BM..Lovely presented and would try it near soon..

Pavani N September 14, 2015 at 8:51 AM  

Vegetarian gyro sounds absolutely delicious Valli. Grilled veggies and paneer with the spices must have tasted amazing.

Archana Potdar September 14, 2015 at 10:07 AM  

Valli I had read about gyro but never made it. Lol was waiting for a readymade recipe. Bookmarking.

Chef Mireille September 16, 2015 at 7:34 AM  

this is one of most popular street food here although usually made with chicken and lamb. for vegetarians the falafels are usually available from same cart.

this combo looks great!

Suma Gandlur September 19, 2015 at 4:16 AM  

Love your vegetarian take and it must be a hit if your daughter preferred it. The platter looks inviting.

Priya Srinivasan September 20, 2015 at 2:05 PM  

That is one filling meal valli. Looks perfect!! You have plated it so well, very inviting spread!

Preeti Garg September 21, 2015 at 11:39 AM  

love the whole platter and looks so inviting :)

Manjula Bharath October 7, 2015 at 12:19 PM  

Veg version of gyros with paneer sounds very interesting dear :) very interesting combo over all , I would love to dig in right away !!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP