Halwa Puri Aur Cholay Ka Salan ~ A Pakistani Nashta

>>  Monday, September 21, 2015

We begin the week 4 with an interesting category of mine, the Breakfast across the globe. We were supposed to being this mega marathon with this theme, unfortunately the combos scared all and we interchanged. For this week as well, I wanted to stay clear of Indian dishes, though I still picked up one from the neighboring country.

Halwa Poori Aur Aloo Chholay is a famous breakfast dish served as brunch during weekends and festival time. This tradition of serving this heavy breakfast is followed in the northern Indians states as well. I simply chose to follow the Pakistani sites for reference. These recipes are pretty much the same as how we cook.

I made the chhole using the Pakistani Garam Masala and the method of cooking was also different. Naturally the end result changes, thereby giving you yet another delicious dishes for indulging.

I was very particular that I select a sub theme for this Breakfast as well. My first choice was naturally Flatbreads and the Pakistani Nashta was the first one I cooked, inspired from Vaishali's post. This was some three months ago. After that there has been so many changes in the theme and I had changed this to different weeks and them other themes etc.
In between I had selected pancakes as the theme, and bookmarked a whole lot from Pavani's beautiful collection. I had all 6 dishes shortlisted, however the one breakfast that was already done was pulling me towards it. I again ended up checking out Flatbreads for options. This category also had many options that I could cook. My other BM Buddy came to help and had already dished out quite a few. So in this week's posts, you will see I have leveraged my friends research capabilities and I have generally been lazy. I simply cooked from their blogs.

Another condition that was applied to this theme was, the dish selected should be served as a Breakfast dish in the selected country. When we served it is left to our choice right. Like I actually made the chhole for our Sunday Morning Breakfast, unfortunately Hubby Dear had to leave on an urgent work and didn't eat breakfast. So I made the Pooris and Halwa, along with his untouched share of the Chhole. As I have said, my kids don't eat Indian Sweets. So making Halwa for them is a wasted exercise!. However Hubby dear enjoyed this meal and said it might have been very heavy for a Breakfast. 

So for day 1 of Breakfast across countries, I have a Halwa Puri Aur Aaloo Cholay Ka Salan - A Pakistani Nashta 


Ingredients Needed:

All purpose flour - 2 cups 
Wheat flour - 1/2 cup 
Salt - 1/2 tsp 
Milk for kneading
Saanth as below
Oil for deep frying


Curd / Yogurt - 2 tbsp 
Ghee - 2 tbsp 
All purpose flour - 1 tbsp 
Egg white of one egg or 1/4 tsp ENO

How to make the Pooris

Take the flours in a wide bowl along with salt. Add the saanth and mix well with hands.

Add Milk gradually and bind it to a dough.

Cover and keep aside for 10-15 minutes. Make balls, roll into discs.

Heat a kadai with oil, gently slide in the discs and deep fry on both sides.

Drain on to a kitchen towel.

Serve right away with Aaloo Cholay and Halwa

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56


Usha September 21, 2015 at 12:11 AM  

I considered halwa poori for breakfast but I know my husband would not like halwa with poori and removed it from my list. It does sound like a heavy breakfast and probably great to serve for brunch.

Sapana Behl September 21, 2015 at 12:15 AM  

We love poori chole and halwa for breakfast once or twice in a month.That is one popular breakfast dish.Very nicely made.

vaishali sabnani September 21, 2015 at 7:46 AM  

This Pakistani breakfast is a treat, the pooris taste awesome and the whole combo looks divine..even my family would not have for breakfast but lunch is fine...personally i love such elaborate breakfasts:)

Kalyani September 21, 2015 at 9:48 AM  

i made the same thing, of course without halwa ! your pooris have come out great !

Priya Srinivasan September 23, 2015 at 11:27 AM  

Awesome breakfast valli and all together, sweet n kaaram!!!

Srividhya September 24, 2015 at 8:59 PM  

What a fluffy and light poori.. great

Padma Rekha September 24, 2015 at 9:21 PM  

this is my kind of breakfast every thing looks mouthwatering..

Sandhiya September 26, 2015 at 10:37 AM  

Interesting combo to try.Looks delicious.

Priya Suresh September 26, 2015 at 5:54 PM  

I did combo for the first week and totally fallen in love with this Pakistani breakfast, inviting spread again.

Harini-Jaya R September 27, 2015 at 4:12 AM  

Very popular breakfast in Punjab as well. Good one.

Pavani N September 30, 2015 at 3:52 AM  

This was on my list to make for this week. But couldn't :-( You guys are tempting me to try it some time soon.
With so many components, this sure is a very filling breakfast.

Archana Potdar September 30, 2015 at 8:17 PM  

This seems to be popular combo this week. I too wanted to make it but then the break up for differnt people different stuff put me off.great choice Valli.

Suma Gandlur October 1, 2015 at 7:14 AM  

That is one classic combo from North but I have to yet try it. The platter looks inviting.

sneha datar October 2, 2015 at 1:53 PM  

Simple and filling breakfast to start the day.

Padmajha PJ October 28, 2015 at 12:12 PM  

This is one of those breakfasts that my kids would love to eat!

Chef Mireille January 6, 2016 at 9:23 AM  

a nice breakfast from across the border

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP