Arabic Spice Blend | Arabic Garam Masala

>>  Friday, September 18, 2015

For the fifth day under Condiments, I have a garam masala from the Arabian cuisine. To be very very frank, I am not sure what this Whole spice mix called as. When our family friend who lives in Dubai, visited us, she got us two packets of this whole spice masala packet that she said she always gifts her family folks as well. This spice mix was such a hit that some even measured the exact quantity of each ingredient, so that they could mix it themselves once they exhaust this stock.

Which is what I did exactly. I measured each ingredient and noted it down here. We have been using this spice blend in many dishes like biryanis, gravies and even kababs. We made a Rajma Kabab that was so delicious. I know because it is something we regularly make and it tasted much better because of this garam masala.

I then searched net to see if I could get some clues. I realized this is not Baharat, the Middle Eastern Spice Blend. I was so tempted to assume this to be that spice. While the ingredients for a Baharat sounded similar, it was still different. I then read in some sites which said that apart from known spice mixes, there are so many local mixes that are popular locally and have not traveled to outside world. 

Name or no Name, I am sticking to my Garam Masala. I have always been so passionate about spice mixes and this one excited me so much. We ground one packet and have frozen the other. And using it in all dishes as much as possible. 

This spice mix didn't have chilies. It has peppercorns and what I assume the Allspice. I always avoid using powered Star Anise as it tends to become very pungent. However after grinding along with the rest in this garam masala, we couldn't find it so overpowering.

Again you can dry roast the spices or grind it as such. Freeze for preserving the aroma for longer shelf life.

Since I was on an experimenting mood and was also working on something else, I ended up clicking so many shots and couldn't but share some of it.

This makes a great gift, so it was all packed with ribbons around.

Arabic Spice Blend


Black peppercorns - 10 gms
Allspice - 5 gms
Cloves - 10 gms
Cinnamon or cassia bark - 50 gms
Nutmeg - 14 to 15 gms
Geen cardamom pods 13 - 15 gms
Bay leaf - 13 gms
Star Anise - 31 gms

Dry the spices on a plate. Grate the nutmeg and then grind all the spices together to a fine powder.

Store in an airtight container in the freezer and remove when you want to use.

I used it in making these Rajma Kabab 

I measured each ingredients in scale.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56


Usha Rao September 18, 2015 at 1:32 AM  

I can smell the aroma of all spice powder. Even I find star anise over powering the food & always avoid it.

Nivedhanams Sowmya September 18, 2015 at 7:56 AM  

love the aroma of this garam masala!!! love the cute jar!!

vaishali sabnani September 18, 2015 at 5:57 PM  

Even my friend gets me a spice mix similar to this from Dubai...but that has a bit of turmeric too...even that doesn't have any name and we call it Garam masala😊

Padma Rekha September 19, 2015 at 12:10 PM  

Even I use to buy this masala powder when I was in Abudhabi. I use to add this to potato kurma. After I cam back to India totally forgot about this thanks for reminding me Valli, I can imagine the aroma..

The Pumpkin Farm September 19, 2015 at 10:37 PM  

allspice and star anise make this definitely different, even with quantity variation of one ingredient the entire taste changes...this is one subject for PHD - garam masala...and yes they make wonderful gifts

Sapana Behl September 20, 2015 at 12:06 AM  

I like the aroma of star anise and nutmeg.Looks flavorful.

Priya Suresh September 20, 2015 at 11:09 PM  

Can smell the aroma of this spice mix from here, interesting and definitely am gonna give a try.

Kalyani September 21, 2015 at 9:51 AM  

bookmarking to try ! i love arabic flavours...

Sandhiya September 21, 2015 at 5:09 PM  

They too have garam masala, good to know..Sounds flavorful

Priya Srinivasan September 23, 2015 at 11:06 AM  

Wonderful blend , The blue plate and bowl looks so beautiful!!! Nice clicks and as u said they make a great gift!

Srividhya September 24, 2015 at 12:12 AM  

Wow lot of nutmegs right? I am sure it would be flavorful

sneha datar September 24, 2015 at 10:33 PM  

A flavorful blend of spices.

Harini-Jaya R September 27, 2015 at 4:10 AM  

Very flavorful spice powder, Valli. I wasn't aware that all spice is available in India.

Srivalli September 27, 2015 at 8:20 AM  

Harini I am not sure if Allspice is available in India. I got this whole spice packet from Dudai.

Pavani N September 29, 2015 at 7:25 AM  

What a delicious and flavorful spice blend Valli.

Suma Gandlur September 30, 2015 at 6:24 AM  

That is one flavorful spice mix. Love that cup and plate.

Archana Potdar September 30, 2015 at 7:43 PM  

Wow waht an aromatic spice Valli. Mind you I am eyeing not just the spice but also the containers.:D

Padmajha PJ October 28, 2015 at 12:08 PM  

That is one aromatic blend! I have a pack of alspice powder,was looking for ways to use it up.This one is perfect!

Chef Mireille November 8, 2015 at 7:51 AM  

what a fragrant spice blend

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP