Eggless Chocolate Sheet Cake with Tofu ~ Egg Substitutes in Baking

Off late weekends seem to be the only time I end up cooking and you can imagine how chaotic things can become in the kitchen. For the past few months, I decide I should fix on my dishes to be done and have big plans. Sometimes these plans work out and I end up cooking up nearly 6 -7 dishes. Sometimes nothing gets done and I am left feeling pathetic that nothing gets done. After going through ups and downs like this, I realized that my weekends seem to be focused only on cooking.

This has happened over the last two months over 2 -3 weeks. I suddenly realized I need to prioritize again and decided to have weekend nights just for the family. As with everybody, I don't want to cook all the time just because I want to experiment or do new things. So my bakes are always what my kids eat, even if it's only chocolates. Then of course I can bake what Hubby dear likes. Konda has become neutral these days and is okay with anything I want to try.

Why I had to rant all the above, was the realization that I had just three bakes done for this week, the theme that got changed and I was left with limited options. My Sunday was spent writing this elaborate post on Basic Egg Substitutes and the science behind it. I am not sure how useful it is for others. I look at everything with scientific outlook and want explanation for everything that happens. I strongly believe Arts and Science can easily be interchanged. I take an artistic approach to a scientific process and vice versa. And have the most irritating habit of writing down my entire thought process here and can never say anything in simple statements.


So the draft is, after writing such a lengthy post, I decided I must select recipes that showcase all the different ones I talked about. That got me into selecting a chocolate cake with Tofu.

I had got a bar of Tofu in the first week of April without knowing I will be doing this. Thinking it would have expired got another bar. Since I only used about 1/2 cup of the Tofu puree, I now have more than enough of it lying around. I am just giving heads up for more tofu recipes to come.

Getting back to the actually cooking, I decided to go all the way through the entire recipe and after baking it, realized that I can't bake another cake anytime soon. The worse thing that can happen at home, especially when it is chocolate in baking, I have my kids hovering around me. Consider my small kitchen, with Athamma in tow and my kids. I hardly will have a foot's space to move around. 

And on top, when they saw the frosting getting done, they just didn't move away. The reasons why I am saying all this is, to say I don't have a picture of the individual piece. I had to cut it and quickly click few pictures. Then the cake was scooped out and enjoyed many times over. And in the process I completely couldn't get a piece out for a shot.

The cake was so delicious, so chocolaty and yes Tofu ends up being dense, not in the actual dense sense, but with a heavy dense feeling after you eat. One can't eat more than a small piece in one go. I am only talking about elders, kids are never considered in this equation. Especially mine, when they think this is their lunch, dinner and snack all the time!






 For the Frosting

This cake is inspired by this recipe and I changed some parts of it. I have always wanted to bake a sheet cake. And though mine didn't end up being exactly a sheet cake, as I don't have a bigger baking tray, this cake turned out great. However even with my changed measurements the cake with the final frosting was too sweet. On top of it I had even added choco chips. It was such a delicious treat for kids. If you are weight watching or not sweet toothed, this is not for you!



 

Eggless Chocolate Sheet Cake with Tofu

Ingredients Needed

For the Cake 

Part 1:

All purpose flour - 2 cups
White sugar - 1 & 1/2 cups 
Baking soda - 1 tsp 
Baking Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt a pinch

Part 2:

Water - 1 cup
Unsalted Butter - 1/2 cup 
Cocoa powder - 1/4 cup

Part 3:

Silken tofu,  pureed - 1/2 cup
Buttermilk - 1/2 cup (I mixed 1 tbsp curds with 1/2 cup)
vanilla extract few drops

For Frosting 

Confectioner’s Sugar / Icicing Sugar - 1 cup
Butter - 1/2 cup
Milk - 1/3 cup  
Cocoa powder - 1/4 cup 
Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon

Choco Chips for garnish - 1 cup

How to make the Chocolate Sheet Cake

Preheat oven to 185 C. Grease a 11 x 7 rectangle baking pan.

In a large bowl, sift together the Part 1 ingredients together.

Bring the Part 2 ingredients to a boil. Remove from heat immediately and mix it with the dry flour mix.

Puree the tofu well, if need be, add some buttermilk and puree well. Then mix all Part 3 ingredients and stir it into the cocoa mixture.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. 

Bake for 30 mins at 185 C. Then reduce to 170 C and bake for 20 mins.
Or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Check at 35 mins to ensure even baking.

While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting by bringing butter, milk and cocoa to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add the sugar and vanilla. Mix well. Once the cake is out of the oven, spread the frosting evenly on the hot cake and sprinkle with choco chips immediately. 

Let the cake cool completely before slicing.


Notes:

The pan I used was too thick for this and this resulted in the center part not being baked well. So had to bake for more 

The entire cake is very gooey and very rich.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 51


An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,