Dark Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Cookies

>>  Monday, April 6, 2015

We are starting the second week in BM Mega Marathon themed on Baking. For the second week I will be focusing on Eggless Cookies. Next to chocolate cakes, the chocolate cookies are hit at home, meaning if I am to bake a cookie, it ought to be chocolate again

To break from the stereotype I seem to have got myself, I decided to bake other cookies except chocolate. Well don't be fooled into thinking I would leave the chocolate out. I haven't. Just that the base was changed, chocolate chips were added and well you understood right, made to look like chocolate but not chocolate cookies. 

Also I had the peanut butter chips that Priya Srinivasan had sent for us during the BM#50 Meet. While everybody else kept saying that they ate those chips just like that, I guarded my share, as I had been wanting to bake some peanut butter based cookies. 

Let me warn you ahead that there will be some different peanut butter cookies happening and well I enjoyed all of them. 

When I read about the American obsession on peanut butter spread, I was really amused that an ingredient that's common day to us is so fancied. Peanuts are our most loved ingredient at home. Not a day goes by, without us making a peanut chutney for breakfast. At parents place, it's even worse, if I can say that. We make peanut chutney for rice as well. A big box of roasted peanuts are always kept ready and peanut meal or coarsely powdered peanut is always stocked for all our dry curries.

So when I started reading about how much a crazy peanut butter sandwich was, I had to make it at home. I made the peanut butter at home and it is such a simple dish to make it yourself. Maybe because peanuts are eaten in all possible ways, we didn't really like the peanut butter sandwich a lot, though occasionally it's fine.

Now coming to the peanut cookies for today, I made these cookies with just peanut meal, with little of flour to help bind. To enhance the taste, I added dark chocolate chunks. We loved it, though we realized it was like eating baked peanut. The chocolate chunks surely helped.

Homemade Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Cookies with Dark Chocolate Chunks

Ingredients Needed:

Peanut Flour - 3/4 cup
Peanut Butter - 2 tbsp
Flour - 1 - 2 tbsp (as required to form a dough)
Brown Sugar - 3/4 cup
Butter - 3 tbsp
Salt a pinch
Dark Chocolate Chunks - 1/2 cup
Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
Baking Powder - 1/4 tsp

How to make Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Cookies

Roast the peanuts, allow to cool and make the meal. 

Take 1/2 cup peanut meal, add oil and blend to make Peanut butter.

In a bowl take the peanut flour/meal along with peanut butter, add brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and mix everything well.

Add the flour as required to get a soft dough. Mix in the Dark chocolate chunks. Make balls and pinch out small balls. 

Pre heat the oven at 185 C and bake the cookies for 12 mins


I have used flour only to bind the dough here. So it again depends on your moisture content. The baked cookies will taste like roasted peanuts with chocolates in it. 

If you are used to peanut taste, you will surely love this, else one has to get used to the taste

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 51


Foodiliciousnan April 6, 2015 at 12:26 AM  

I think I'll love this. Though peanuts aren't too common at home here except in tadka for mixed rice varieties or in certain puli kootu, i love peanuts in every form. Peanut sundal is my favourite, so is peanut chikki and I make peanut laddus too!So this one is just my kind of thing! Although I make peanut butter cookies often, I've never tried a cookie with powdered peanuts...Shall HAVE to try this!

Suma Gandlur April 6, 2015 at 12:41 AM  

Those are interesting cookies with ground peanuts, Valli. Must have been yummy.

Priya Suresh April 6, 2015 at 2:56 AM  

Dangerously addictive cookies..If i bake some i wont keep munching them.

Usha April 6, 2015 at 3:55 AM  

Haha, how can you stay away from chocolate... I baked peanut butter cookies once few months ago and liked it. Addition of chocolate chunks is a nice variation to regular peanut butter cookies.

Even I have a box of roasted peanuts stocked at home but they do not last long though.. :)

Varadas Kitchen April 6, 2015 at 4:55 AM  

Peanut meal cookies sound interesting. Peanut butter and fruit jelly is popular with kids as peanut is a pantry staple here too. Roasted peanuts are readily available everywhere.

vaishali sabnani April 6, 2015 at 7:22 AM  

These muat have tasted awesome. The idea to use powdered peanuts is unique and very interesting too.
Chocolate of course livens up the whole cookie, looks and sounds real good .

Nivedhanams Sowmya April 6, 2015 at 8:34 AM  

Valli and chocolate are always together...
These cookies are dangerously addictive..

The Pumpkin Farm April 6, 2015 at 9:46 AM  

i am not a peanut butter fan personally but with the peanut butter chips and a jar of it lying even i experimented a lot...i liked your idea of using ground peanuts, must have tasted awesome

Kalyani April 6, 2015 at 2:17 PM  

wow ! interesting to know u used peanut flour for a base.. whats the binding agent valli ?

those cookies surely look good !

veena krishnakumar April 6, 2015 at 8:21 PM  

I knew that this post had to be linked to chocolate in some way and I am not wrong 😊. Cookies look very delicious valli

Srividhya April 7, 2015 at 3:07 AM  

I am not a big fan of dark chocolate. I think I will substitute it with white ;-)

Nalini's Kitchen April 7, 2015 at 4:19 AM  

Absolutely delicious looking cookies,with homemade peanut butter...

Suja Ram April 7, 2015 at 8:32 AM  

I love peanuts in all form.. Though I know of Peanut butter cookies, these are very different Valli. Sure to try.

mykitchentrials April 7, 2015 at 8:41 AM  

The cookies look really good. Especially if it allows you to take a tiny break from chocolate (Well, who wants to take a big break, anyway ;-) ). Roasted chocolately peanut cookies does have a nice ring to it. I am taking a break from sweet bakes, else this would have gone right into the 'to try' list.

Padma Rekha April 7, 2015 at 12:06 PM  

Not only peanuts I don't like any nuts including cashew nut.. strange right I am not energetic to nut just don't like the nutty flavor.Any way cookies looks too good

Nupur Mehra April 7, 2015 at 5:33 PM  

Love these cookies Srivalli! your typical descriptive narration and step by step pictures making them hard to resist.

Long time, no see :)

Pavani N April 8, 2015 at 7:10 AM  

Those cookies are filled with peanutty goodness. In my very early days in the US, I didn't really like peanut butter but slowly got used to it. I too like an occasional pb&j sandwich :-)

Harini-Jaya R April 9, 2015 at 12:42 AM  

I am trying to stay away from peanuts as much as possible but the kids love their PB sandwiches just as they might love these cookies too!

Sandhya Ramakrishnan April 11, 2015 at 1:01 AM  

I have never worked with peanut flour...Also my kids do not like peanut butter except in Thai sauce. This recipe though is very interesting! I will maybe taste in your place when I come to India :)

Gayathri Kumar April 11, 2015 at 2:24 PM  

We do eat peanuts but only occasionally. This cookie is surely very unique with just the peanut flour. Choco chips looks like a nice addition.

Srivalli April 11, 2015 at 6:15 PM  

Thanks everybody!

Kalyani The little flour I used ensured the cookies held their shape, though these were more soft to touch..:)

Saraswathi Tharagaram April 14, 2015 at 2:14 AM  

Making peanut butter from starch is some thing special. And I believe Chocolate made a wonderful combo here..

Priya Srinivasan April 16, 2015 at 9:34 AM  

i m loving the addition of dark chocolate chunks to the cookies, must be tasting yumm when we bite into it!!! Cookies look very tempting!! :)

Archana Potdar April 24, 2015 at 9:42 PM  

okay this is something that I have to try . I like the thought of using ground peanuts.

Ruchi Indu May 6, 2015 at 1:47 PM  

The combination of peanut and chocolate is new to me. Sounds interesting...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP