badge


Bread Gulab Jamun Recipe | How to make Gulab Jamun with Bread

>>  Tuesday, March 17, 2015

We are starting yet another week under BM# 50, and I will be doing "One ingredient and different category dishes". The idea for this theme started long back, infact during December when we had our yearly cultural activities in my office. we had a cooking competition based on Budget and the team that spent the least was declared winner. While my team won on the taste front, on the spending part we were second expensive. Atleast I was happy that all were surprised that my team hadn't exhausted the entire amount, considering the dishes that were for all cooked for five days were laboriously and heavy

Based on our performance, we had the disadvantage of being the first, the next team ensure they took care of the ingredients used. One of the dishes they cooked for us, was this Bread Gulab Jamun. They even improvised on one other aspect, that came out from this dish. However will share that shortly. For today, let's talk about the bread gulab jamun. 

The ones they prepared, though being done the previous day itself and let to soak overnight, were very hard. Since the sweetness of the dish, somehow influenced the gathering, some even appreciated the thought of serving them sweet at low cost. That days snack was done at lowest cost as all it required was bread, sugar and oil. And plus the other dish that was served with it was a spur of the moment and it was a totally hit as well. Anyway they went on to win the competition of Budget Khiladis as they spent the least amount among the four teams. 

Bread Gulab Jamun stayed with me, as it gave me ideas and I asked our cook on how she made it. Hearing that she used just the soaked bread and nothing else, it no wonder turned out hard. I told her that she should have added a bit of soda to make it soft. And knew that's what I was going to do. I even decided to add a bit of Milk powder to my dough. I have been waiting patiently for over three months to finally make it. Thinking that I was so brilliant in coming up with these suggestions to the cook, I checked to see if there are other instances of Bread Gulab Jamun over the net. Was I surprised to see that there are smarter people out there? That in fact I am always the last to something brilliant? Well there is never late to get humbled. My knowledge of things always seem to be just a dot in the ocean of things.

Anyway there was no need to get so philosophical over a gulab jamun. One is supposed to simply dig in and enjoy the sweetness it has to offer and take things as it comes, be it a Bread Jamun as well!

I haven't tasted it, though Konda assured me that it was delicious and was sulking that I made so less. I assured her that it was a matter of 30 mins task and I can do it for her anytime.






Bread Gulab Jamun

Ingredients Needed:

For the Jamun

Bread Slices - 8 nos
Milk powder - 1 tbsp
Cooking Soda a pinch
Ghee - 1 tsp
Ghee few drops for greasing your hands

Milk - 1/4 cup for soaking the bread

For Frying

Oil - 1 cup
Ghee - 2 -3 tbsp

For the Chashni / Sugar Syrup

Sugar - 1 cup
Water - 1 cup
Cardamom - 2
Rose Essence few drops
Saffron strands

Pista and Badam for garnish

How to make Bread Gulab Jamun

Trim the Bread slices on all sides. Reserve the sides.

In a bowl, take the milk, soak bread slices one by one and squeeze out the milk completely. Once you are done with all, knead everything together by adding milk powder and cooking soda.

The dough will end up being sticky, so add the ghee and knead again. Rest for 5 mins. Grease your palm with ghee and pinch out small balls.

Once you are done making all the balls, heat the kadai with oil and ghee. Deep fry in batches till you get evenly browned jamuns.

Meanwhile make the Sugar Syrup by boiling sugar with water, remove impurrities if any.

Cook for 7 - 10 mins, till you get a glossy syrup. Add the cardamon, rose essence and saffron.

When the jamuns are fried, drop them into the syrup.

Let it soak and then serve.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM


16 comments :

Sandhya Ramakrishnan March 17, 2015 at 12:16 AM  

Quick and easy one and looks just like the actual gulab jamuns. This reminds me of what my grandmother does to the left over sugar syrup. She toasts left over bread slices and then dips them in the sugar syrup. We used to love that!

Srividhya March 17, 2015 at 12:44 AM  

Yum.. Great way to use left over breads.

Harini-Jaya R March 17, 2015 at 2:39 AM  

Very beautifully presented, Valli. I had made it long time back and it was a super hit at home.

vaishali sabnani March 17, 2015 at 6:23 AM  

Ah let's not talk of budget... It s not easy going with it and cooking. Anyway the bread gulam jamuns taste delicious i have made them once and everyone enjoyed. Yours look nice and spongy.

Ruchi Indu March 17, 2015 at 12:24 PM  

Gulab jamuns looks soft and spongy. I never imagined bread can be used in such a way... hmmmm gives ways for more innovation

Nivedhanams Sowmya March 17, 2015 at 3:06 PM  

what a great recipe!!! should definitely try!!!

Nalini's Kitchen March 17, 2015 at 6:48 PM  

Delicious and mouthwatering gulab jamuns...I too tried this one for BM last year...

Padmajha PJ March 17, 2015 at 11:34 PM  

Looks like the actual jamuns! So nice that you shared it here. Will be making it soon :)

Varadas Kitchen March 18, 2015 at 6:22 PM  

I have seen appe pan variations of these too but never made them myself. They look nice and porous as they should be.

Kalyani March 19, 2015 at 10:44 AM  

my elder one would like this.. will try for an upcoming ocassion ...

Annu Swamy March 20, 2015 at 2:42 PM  

Wow!!! Such a simple and yummy gulab jamun.Very tempting. I've made 'shayi tukkdi' but not jamun.Definitely going to try this.

Priya Srinivasan March 20, 2015 at 2:43 PM  

Superb valli, once i tried with plain milk powder and badly failed, it came out rock hard, from that a bit hesitant to try with homemade mix! this looks absolutely tempting!! :)

Jayanthi March 21, 2015 at 2:31 AM  

I've had bread jamun before and its on my to-do list for a very long time. Yours have come out so well Valli...looks so delicious

Priya Suresh March 21, 2015 at 2:39 PM  

I stopped running behind the jamun mix since ever i tried jamuns with bread, looks fabulous Valli.

Suma Gandlur March 23, 2015 at 6:30 AM  

They have turned out so well, Valli.

Pavani N March 23, 2015 at 8:24 PM  

What a rich and delicious jamuns with our humble everyday bread. That is a yummy treat for anyone on any budget :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP