badge


Methi Beets Pulao with Soya Chunks ~ Colourful Dishes for Kids

>>  Tuesday, February 17, 2015

We are starting the third week of BM#49, I will be doing Colour Dishes for Kids this week. I never realized until I took up this theme, how hard it is to plan to make your dishes as colourful as it can be, without adding food colour and keeping the dishes filling as well. I wanted to make sure I don't resort to any drinks or simpler things. So I gave hard time for myself.

I was listing out the various vegetables and fruits that would given the final colour effects. I remembered my Beets Pulao that I have already made, wanted to make some changes to it and make a new dish. My brain seem to have gone on vacation, since I was not up with any new ideas.
Anyway though I wanted to make use of Beets again in rice, wanted to make it more pulao types. Since I was working with some methi, I decided to add some methi for green colour and since Konda loves Soya Chunks, decided to add that for brown. I was hoping the final dish will show these colours and also that Konda loves the rice. I wasn't even hoping that the boys would try it. Yes they didn't and I wasn't expecting them too.

So this rice ended up being very delicious, with the coconut milk being added and just right with all the whole spices. 

Sending this to my Kids Delight, event, hosted by Varada, who has called for all colourful dishes, approved by kids.


Methi Beets Pulao with Soya Chunks

Ingredients Needed:

Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Beets puree - 1 cup (Mix with 1/2 cups water)
Fresh Methi  - 1/2 cup
Soya Chunks - 1 cup
Coconut Milk - 1/2 cup

For the rice

Onions - 1 medium
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 / 2 tsp
Bay leaf - 1 
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon - 1”
Cardamom - 2
Green Chilies - 2 medium
Turmeric powder a pinch
Red Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Butter - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp

How to make the Methi Beets Pulao with Soya chunks

Wash and boil soya chunks in water, add a pinch of salt and turmeric. Boil for 10 mins, drain and squeeze out excess water from the soya once the chunks cool down. Cut into half if the chunks are big. Keep it aside.

Wash and soak the rice for 20 - 30 mins.

Wash and chop the methi leaves roughly. Then pan roast in a tsp of oil. When the leaves wilt down, switch off and keep it aside. 

In a pressure cooker, add the butter and all the whole spices, saute for a minute on high. Then add onion julinnes, slit green chilies and saute for couple of mins till the onions turn colour. 

Then add the ginger garlic paste, saute well. Then add the drain rice and saute well. After 2 mins, add liquid (beets puree mixed with 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1 cup water). Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. 

Now add the fried methi leaves to the pan, bring to boil. Cook on high for 2 mins, stir well and then cover with lid. Pressure cook for 3 whistles.

Wait for the pressure to fall down, then fluff the rice and serve hot with raitha.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM


14 comments :

Varadas Kitchen February 17, 2015 at 12:14 AM  

That sure is colorful. Beets, methi and soya chunks is a very innovative combo but I can see how it must have tasted great.

Priya Suresh February 17, 2015 at 12:59 AM  

Pulao looks very catchy and the addition of soya chunks makes more healthy.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan February 17, 2015 at 2:20 AM  

Such a lovely color to the pulao! Totally love it....My boys really like Beetroot and they will love it :)

Nivedhanams Sowmya February 17, 2015 at 10:32 AM  

wow so many good items in here - methi, beetroot, soy chunks - wow all good things in here!!

Suja Ram February 17, 2015 at 11:02 AM  

Love the Beet-Soya chunks- Methi combo. My DH and kids love all 3. Will definitely try.

Priya Srinivasan February 17, 2015 at 5:53 PM  

Very unique combo valli!! Looks very filling and yum!

vaishali sabnani February 18, 2015 at 6:04 AM  

This is truly a very healthy Pulao and looks so pretty with that beet root. I must make this for my son, who loves both soya and beetroot.

sneha datar February 18, 2015 at 1:36 PM  

A good combo, super healthy pulao and very colorful too.

sushma February 18, 2015 at 8:35 PM  

Rice looks delicious. It has got lovely color from beets

Harini-Jaya R February 19, 2015 at 6:40 AM  

That is an interesting pairing of soy chunks and beets, Valli.

Sapana Behl February 19, 2015 at 10:28 PM  

Beets ,soya chunks and methi ,wow all good ingredients in one dish.Indeed a colorful and tasty meal.

Pavani N February 21, 2015 at 4:54 AM  

That is one very colorful and nutritious Pulao. I've never used beets in rice dishes and this is a great idea to add beet juice to get the color and not the actual chunks of beets. I'm the only one eating beets in my house, so using juice is a great way to hide it in rice.

Jayanthi February 21, 2015 at 5:50 AM  

It happens to me too Valli....sometimes its like a brain block to get any new ideas. Beets in pulao such a lovely idea and more protein with soya chunks...healthy and colorful!

Kalyani February 26, 2015 at 8:09 PM  

Lovely balance of protein and colour there !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP