Cheese Hash Browns ~ Quick and Easy Snack for Kids

>>  Friday, February 13, 2015

Though I am delayed with my third post under "Say Cheese" for BM#49, I thought this simple and quick snack will take care of that. I had previously made something similar to these hash browns as the Latkes.  Latkes are traditionally eaten by Jews during the Hanukkah festival and the recipe is elaborate when you compare it with Hash Browns. 

There is actually no recipe for Hash Browns, it's just shredded, grated or riced potatoes, cooked on low flame, to get a delicious, flaky small pancake. This is traditionally eaten for breakfast in US. When a binding ingredient is added to this and made, it's called as pancake. Or you can call it patty as well.

Since my theme was about cheese, I had to incorporate cheese into this. Trust me, this turns out to be so sinful! I added Cheddar Cheese to the grated, cooked potatoes, to bind them. Once it was completely crispy and done, I topped it with Mozzarella cheese. You can simply keep it on the pan, within minutes your cheese melts and you have heaven in hand, quite literally!

I was actually upset that I had to wait to dig in and completed clicking the final picture as quickly as I could and went straight into dipping in that sauce and enjoying it. Yes I know this is basically for the Kids to approve, well the kid in me, surely enjoyed this feast!

Sending this to PJ, who is hosting my Kids Delight, themed on Say Cheese!

Cheese Hash Browns

Ingredients Needed:

Potato, grated - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Pepper powder to taste
Red Chili flakes to taste
Cheddar Cheese - 2 -3 tbsp
Mozzarella Cheese - 2 -3 tbsp
Oil for cooking

How to make the Cheese Hash Browns

Wash, Peel the potatoes. Then grate it using a bigger mouthed grater. Soak and rinse in water couple of times, to remove excess starch and also to prevent it from changing colour.

Once done, squeeze the grated potatoes well to remove water. Add salt, pepper. let it sit for 5 -7 mins. You can still get water, so squeeze it out and add the red chili flakes. Mix well.

Heat a non stick pan with oil, scoop out the grated potato and pat it down to get them together. Sprinkle oil on top and let it cook on low flame for 10  mins, until the lower side can hold itself in shape.

Flip on the other side and continue cooking till all pieces turn crispy.

Add grated Cheddar cheese and you will see it melting right away. Using the spatula, bring all the potato pieces together. The melted cheese will bind the pieces.

Cook on both sides for another minute. Then top it with grated mozzarella cheese. Cook on sim for 2 mins till the cheese melts.

Serve with ketchup

I have read recipes, where the potatoes are boiled and then riced before making has browns. Boiled potatoes will be more in shape when we make the hash browns

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM


Nivedhanams Sowmya February 13, 2015 at 3:14 PM  

so cheesy and yummy!!! adding cheese would have made this delicious snack even more tempting..

Sandhya Ramakrishnan February 13, 2015 at 8:09 PM  

I make hash browns once in a while, but I have never added cheese to it. Adding cheese would have made the dish so delicious.

Pavani N February 15, 2015 at 3:17 AM  

OMG Valli, that is one really tempting dish you got there. It has both my kids favorites -- potatoes and cheese, they will LOVE this. Will surely make this dish for them :-)

Sarita February 15, 2015 at 3:41 AM  

Hash browns looks yummy with cheese on it.

Suma Gandlur February 16, 2015 at 5:30 AM  

Love the cheesy twist to the hash browns.

Harini-Jaya R February 16, 2015 at 7:05 AM  

This is sure to tempt the kids.

Chef Mireille February 16, 2015 at 8:45 AM  

the filling is awesome

Priya Suresh February 16, 2015 at 11:46 AM  

Dont tortue me like this, hard to resist to this cheese hash browns.

Sapana Behl February 23, 2015 at 5:28 AM  

Very filling and delicious looking hash browns.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP