Bhutte Ki Kees ~ Indore Speciality

We are starting the final week of BM#47 and with this we end this year's Blogging Marathon. Can't believe yet another year has so quickly passed us by. We had great fun doing our monthly BM and I hope I managed to bring in exciting and interesting themes. For the first ever time I am doing the Special theme, this month based on Bookmarked recipes. I mostly make sure I take up another theme and my bookmarked recipes just get cooked and never come on the blog. 

However this time it's been special and I wanted to share my experience on this space. As I was saying about my office December Drizzle in the Kasi Halwa post, this year's competition involved all the four teams cooking for a week each during December. As luck would have it, my team came up first. I picked up from the lot, so I had nobody else to blame it for. Anyway the main focus was about cooking within a budget and the winner would be selected on who provided tasty snacks within minimum amount spent. 
My team members unanimously opted to let me select the dishes I wanted and only helped in getting the ingredients. I didn't know if I would save the maximum amount or not, I wanted to cook a state for each day of the week. My first obvious choice was chaats, but then I had almost cooked most of the chaats at office already. I asked my BM buddies for ideas and then I was writing down my own list. If I had to select a recipe from my bookmarked list, it would be an endless search. So I landed in Vaishali's space and simply looked at her posts randomly. Then I remembered I had to check out her Indian States post as I had wanted to cook so many from that list.

I selected Bhutte Ki Kees simply on the fact that it seem to doable for a crowd of 70+ crowd. Since I was cooking, I ensured I was all equipped with my camera. I had the office cooks to help. However before I could tell them completely on how to proceed, they had removed the kernels. What I was left with to grate were just few of the corn cobs. Well I had to make do with what I had. We had bought in about 15 kgs of corn cobs, 20 packets of 100 gms corn kernels. 
Bhutte Ki Kees is prepared with almost grated corns, milk and spices. It surely is an adapted dish. However if you make it for smaller number, one surely has more control on getting all the taste intact. On the whole it's not supposed to be one main taste to be predominant. It is a mix of hot spice, sour, and along with milk creaminess.

I followed Vaishali's recipe with scaled up ingredients and it had a mixed reaction. You can't expect a south Indian crowd to like something that's not spicy. Some came back for the third serving. On the whole my experience with the dish was that the dish is awesome and if you wish to receive great feedback, select a proper audience. I also knew I can't win a huge audience with a new dish. I had to rethink on this statement again, when I had made Onion Capsicum Cheese Dinner rolls and the entire crowd loved it and everything disappeared within secs

During our Indian States BM, Bhutte Ki Kees was the most popular dish from MP as it got tried by many of my friends. Bhutte Ki Kees is a famous street food from Indore, Madhya Pradesh.

Anyway now for the recipe.



Bhutte Ki Kees

For the Kees

Corn - 500 gms
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Whole red chilly - 2 -3 
Asafetida/ Hing a pinch
Milk 500 ml
Ginger paste - 1 tsp
Green chilly, chopped 2 -3 
Sugar to taste
Salt to taste
Lemon juice 1/2 tsp

For Garnish
Roasted Cashew nuts and Raisins

Other Accompaniments
Onion, finely chopped
Fine sev 
Coriander leaves

How to make the Bhutte Ki Kees

Boil the corn and let cool.

Once cooled, hold the corn cob upright and with a sharp knife remove the corn kernels in thin layers this way we get finely chopped kernels.

In a kadai heat ghee. add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, whole red chilli. Add the chopped kernels. Sauté water evaporates and corns become absolutely dry.

Now add milk and cook till all the milk is evaporated.

Add green chilly and ginger and cook for a few minutes.

Add salt, sugar and lemon juice, stir well.

Check the spice, the flavor should balance sweet, salty, sour and spicy.

Serve with cashews, raisins and with finely chopped onions and sev.
Notes

Salt should be added right at the end or else the milk might curdle.

Instead of boiling, the raw corn can be grated also, in that case one needs to saute the corn well, before adding milk.

Since I was making in bulk, it was grated, some more fully in tact, so I ended up cooking it for longer time for it to become really soft.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

Labels: , , , , ,