Alsande Tonak | Black Eyed Peas Goan Special Curry

For the second day of BM#47, under bookmarked recipes, I wanted to make the Goan Tondak, that I was drooling when Vaishali had made it for her Indian States. She had visited Archana and along with her cooked up a feast of the special Goan Tondak and Pav. Since I was cooking for a crowd with the wish to bring about a dish from each state, I thought this curry would be very delicious.

I originally wanted to make Butter Kulcha and Goan Tondak, later my team were feeling that butter kulchas would become tough and not be soft when we are making for such huge crowd. Also they felt using maida alone may not be healthy option. I had cooked up Kulcha over the weekend just to verify if it becomes tough over time, though mine were soft even after sometime, I realized cooking for a huge crowd, I might not be able to control the rolling and frying part.
 So I decided to go with Khamiri Roti, and all were happy that I was going to use wheat flour. I had pinged Archana to ask which other bean I could use instead of the bean she had suggested Vaishali. She said Black Eyed Peas/ Alasanda would be great option. Since it's a bean I love, I was so happy making it. 

On the day of making it, I got around making the dough at about 11. 30 in the morning and had couple of my colleagues to help knead the dough. The guys were enthu to flex their muscles and made sure the dough was really soft and well kneaded. We mixed about 7 kgs of wheat flour and rolled out about 180 rotis. Worse or best part was, the 150 Khamiri rotis disappeared and the last 30 rotis were plain chapatis. Since this was kneaded at the last moment, it didn't have proper resting time and turned out hard.

The gravy was made with 5 and half kg of Alasanda and a huge batch of Goan Masala that I blended early morning. The combination was super hit and many had to skip their dinner because they had their fill and couldn't resist. On the whole I enjoyed making this combination.

I had previously made Tonak Pav, with the Goan Garam Masala that Archana suggested. While a whole Wheat Goan Poee with Feijoada was made for Indian States. 



 Khamiri Roti
Alasande Tondak

Ingredients Needed:

For the Gravy

Black eyed peas/ Alasanda - 250 gms

Onions, finely hopped fine
Turmeric a pinch
Salt to Taste
Oil - 2 - 3 tsp
A few springs of coriander

For the ground masala

Freshly grated coconut - 1 1/2 cups
Onion chopped - 1
Garlic - 6 -7 cloves
A small ball of tamarind
Goan Spice Masala - 2 -3 tsp

Goan Spice Masala:

Coriander seeds 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds/ Jeera - 1/4 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
Poppy seeds - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red chillies - 3-4
Cinnamon - 1"
Cloves - 4 nos
Whole Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
Star anise - 1
Nutmeg powder a pinch

How to make the Goan Tondak

Wash and soak the black eyed peas overnight. Change water couple of times, and pressure cook till soft. Keep it aside. Don't drain the water, you can use it for cooking.

Heat a kadai with oil, fry the red chillies, keep aside. Fry the other ingredients for the masala individually add oil if necessary. Keep aside.

In the same pan fry the coconut, onions and garlic, on low flame till the coconut is reddish brown in colour, use oil if needed. Cool.

Grind to a fine paste all the fried spices, coconut onion mixture, along with the tamarind. Keep it aside.

Heat a non stick pan with oil, fry finely chopped onions till soft, add the boiled beans without water. Combine and cook well.

Next add the ground masala paste, turmeric, salt. Saute everything well until the beans get coated well. Then add the reserved water and bring to boil. When the gravy thickens as required, add chopped coriander leaves and simmer for 5 mins.

Serve hot with rotis.

Sending this to PJ, who is hosting the MLLA, managed by Lisa, started by Susan

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

Labels: , , , ,