Shahi Aloo | Potato in a Rich Gravy ~ No Onion No Garlic Recipe

>>  Tuesday, November 4, 2014

For the second day of cooking "No Onion No Garlic" Gravy, I have a delicious Aloo gravy. I have a Aloo Masala, Aloo Kurma and quite a Shahi versions of Paneer, this was the first time I thought Shahi Aloo will be made. I made it last week for a week day dinner, as Side dish for chapatis. So I was taking a risk as nothing else was being made and I was making it for parents as well. With the elders, I was sure they will manage, it was only with the kids that it was this or just plain chapatis.

I was prepping them ahead, saying I was going to make a new dish and they should atleast taste it, before saying no. They were all prepared to say they love it. Guess this is the art of canvassing your case. I was canvassing much ahead of time. Let me tell you that I am very poor at marketing myself. I can hardly ever say, like my page or you should do this for me etc etc. Since this directly involved me either feeding them this gravy or nothing else, I had to do it. I saw that it does work out well. Still I don't think I can go tell somebody to like my blogs. lol
Anyway for all the fear I had, the gravy turned out great and it was so delicious. Konda was saying that this tasted similar to something I have already prepared. I felt it too when I ate, though I couldn't remember which gravy it was. After making the gravy, I was surprised looking at it that, that creamy and thick gravy was made without onions. 

The gravy is quite rich and would have been a great hit with Naans. Though I had to make do with just chapatis. Konda was plating the food for the clicks and she said she wanted green colour as the theme. Can you see that small miniature cup? Well since I didn't have any glass for water, she put that there, saying it looks cute. I said I am not saying anything! Then the green cloth was pulled on behind to give a green background. For this the brothers came into action and held it for their big sis. Well when they get into the mood of food clicking, they go bonkers, giving me all weird ideas. Though I think these pictures look kind of cute.

I am not yet prepared for day 3, hope some magic happens!

Shahi Aloo ~ No Onion No Garlic Gravy

Ingredients Needed

Potatoes - 4 big, cubed into 1" pieces.
Bay leaf - 1 no
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Tomatoes, puree - 4 medium
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Cashews - 10 whole, make as paste
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste
Butter - 1 tbsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Milk - 1/2 cup

To be ground to a paste:

Cinnamon - 1"
Cardamom - 2 whole
Cloves - 2 -3 nos
Whole Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Ginger - 1"

Coriander for garnish

How to make Shahi aloo

Make a paste of the spices by adding little water and ensure it's nicely ground. Keep it aside.

MW the potatoes for 7 - 8 mins and soak in water and peel. Cube into 1 inch pieces and keep it aside.

Make a puree of the tomatoes. Soak the cashews and make a smooth paste.

Heat a non stick pan with butter and oil. Add the bay leaf and cumin seeds. After couple of mins, add the the ground spice masala and saute well. Cook on high for the masala to get cooked well.

Next add the tomato puree, simmer and keep it covered for few mins. Then add the turmeric powder, salt, chili powder and coriander powder. Simmer and cook with lid covered till the tomatoes are cooked well.

Then add the roasted cumin powder, combine everything. Now add the boiled potatoes, stir well and cook till the aloos are coated well.

Add the garam masala, then cashew paste. Once the aloos are mixed well, add milk, a cup of water. Simmer with lid covered and cook for 10 mins.

Remove and check if the oil has seperated on the top, continue cooking till you get a thick gravy. This takes about another 5 - 7 mins.

Serve hot with rotis

You can add beaten curds and reduce the tomatoes to 2 nos. Can garnish with cream in the end to make it more rich.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 46


Srividhya November 4, 2014 at 12:37 AM  

Nice.. love all the pictures

Varadas Kitchen November 4, 2014 at 12:52 AM  

The tomatoes and cashews make this a nice rich gravy. Nice one.

Usha November 4, 2014 at 3:23 AM  

Even I can't ask people to like my page :) the gravy looks creamy with cashew paste. Cashews are a nice way to substitute onions and also get a creamy texture.

lavina agarwal November 4, 2014 at 4:55 AM  

Wow such a rich and creamy recipe valli..drooling over must be so much fun to have enthu little ones helping out in clicking the pictures. .love the green cup..konda was right!

vaishali sabnani November 4, 2014 at 5:57 AM  

As always I enjoyed reading the post ...the Aaloor look really rich and can be categorized as a party dish. And great to see the future bloggers in action. Lol.

Suma Gandlur November 4, 2014 at 6:38 AM  

A nice alternative to onion laden dishes. This is one quick dish you can put together if you have cooked potatoes ready.

Harini-Jaya R November 4, 2014 at 7:44 AM  

Wow Adding Cashew makes it really very rich! Love the no onion-no garlic recipes..

The Pumpkin Farm November 4, 2014 at 8:31 PM  

kaju does the trick well to replace the onions this was nice and the gravy looks delicious

Priya Suresh November 5, 2014 at 1:24 AM  

Never tried shahi dishes with aloo, sounds very delicious..Will make this shahi aloo very soon.

Pavani N November 5, 2014 at 4:42 AM  

That is a very yummy looking Shahi aloo. It looks rich and delicious.
Kudos to your photo stylists, presentation looks great :-)

Manjula Bharath November 5, 2014 at 8:56 AM  

such an rich and tempting aloo gravy :) lovely presentation dear !!

Padma Rekha November 5, 2014 at 7:24 PM  

Rich and delicious looking gravy.even Iam like you Valli never ask any body to like my page or comment on my blog. I don't know some how I don't like that

Jayanthi Sindhiya November 7, 2014 at 11:38 PM  

Rich and creamy gravy!! nice clicks..

Sreevalli E November 25, 2014 at 3:08 AM  

Colorful & flavorful gravy. Very inviting dish.

veena krishnakumar November 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM  

The gravy looks so rich and creamy!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP