Masala Gobi | Cauliflower Masala ~ No Onion No Garlic Recipe

>>  Monday, November 3, 2014

We are starting the first week of BM# 46. I know we say the same thing, days are flying. Well we just have to go with the flow right. I guess most of the time, by the time I plan the themes, decide and then cook, the days become week and then's an endless cycle!

This month I have been very adventurous and decided to do BM on both my blogs. Guess I really need the push. Off late I have noticed that I am able to cook new dishes only on the weekends and I end up planning and pairing more than two themes per meal. This meal that I cooked up for last weekend was catering to three different themes. I am sure you will read about them when its turn.

For the first week I am doing No Onion No Garlic Side Dish for Rotis/ Rice. Trust me, I can't imagine cooking without onions. For me a gravy has to have onions and tomatoes. I simply can't seem to even think of one. So it was a bit of a challenge, planning a gravy side dish for rotis or rice, without adding my favorite onions. Of course I love garlic as well. Infact I mostly can't stand ginger. So imagine me trying to cook something without either of my favorite ingredients!

No Onion No Garlic dishes are considered to be Satvik. When one talks about Vrat Recipes or Food for Fasting days, the dishes are most made without onions or garlic. On a personal level, I don't really believe one has to abstain such things for religious things. I am a vegetarian and don't really attribute my food preference to religious norms. One can still be pious without being religious. However I respect people who follow these and if I have to cook for them, I do without hesitation. 

For me, this theme was a challenge. I wanted to see if I can cook without these. Infact this recipe had onions. I tweeted it not to include onions or garlic. The taste was amazing. I didn't miss the onions in it. Maybe it also depended on the dish with which I was serving this. 

I am doing my own Kid's Delight event, themed on Nuts & Legumes for Lunchbox Friendly. So I decided to do a rice that can fall under this theme for kids. I made a Cashew nut peas pulao. The pulao was so good on it's own for the kids and I paired it with this spicy gravy for the elders.

Masala Gobhi  

Ingredients Needed:

Cauliflower, florets - 2 cups
Tomatoes - 3 medium, puree
Ginger, grated - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp 
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Cashew nuts - 5 whole, paste
Oil - 2 tsp for cooking
Oil for deep frying

How to make Masala Gobi

Wash and clean the gobi. Chop into florets. MW with salt and turmeric for 5 mins. Drain the water.

Heat a kadai with oil. Deep fry the gobi in batches and drain on a kitchen towel.

Heat a non stick pan with oil, add cumin seeds. Then add grated ginger, saute well. Add tomato puree, salt and turmeric powder. Cook till the puree gets cooked well. 

Next add the chili powder, coriander powder and cook till the masalas are cooked well. 

When the puree is cooked thick, add roasted cumin powder, garam masala. fried cauliflower and continue cooking. Add cashew paste and mix well.

Finally add a cup of water and bring to boil. And cook till it thickens. 

I served it with Rice. It will be great with Rotis as well.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 46


veena krishnakumar November 3, 2014 at 12:56 AM  

Side dish without onion is something that I have to try too. This looks very nice Valli

Harini-Jaya R November 3, 2014 at 4:59 AM  

Wow! that sounds fantastic..The whole platter looks tempting!

vaishali sabnani November 3, 2014 at 6:21 AM  

Yes its difficult for me too to cook without onion and garlic ..but I like this gobhi masala..looks super.

lavina agarwal November 3, 2014 at 6:40 AM  

Wow this looks Yummm valli..nice variation to the same old cauliflower!

Usha November 3, 2014 at 6:43 AM  

Even I can not imagine cooking without onions. Nice recipe without onion and garlic.

Uma Shankar November 3, 2014 at 7:22 AM  

Wow looks super yummy!

The Pumpkin Farm November 3, 2014 at 8:19 AM  

Wow Valli this looks unbelieavably thick and saucy without onions a well...i like the plateful of sliced onions on the side just in case someone misses them :)

Srividhya November 4, 2014 at 12:44 AM  

Nice.. Actually for me cooking without onion and garlic is very easy when compared to cooking with them ;-)

Manjula Bharath November 4, 2014 at 4:06 AM  

I love cauliflower curry and this one with no onions looks lips smacking dear :) I wud love to enjoy the curry with those chapathis :)

Sarita November 4, 2014 at 7:48 AM  

This looks very delicious..Long back i tried recipes without onion and garlic when i was doing pooja on fridays.Those are all only fried items..But this is very good.

Padma Rekha November 4, 2014 at 12:36 PM  

No bod can think that there are no onion in this curry looks so tempting have to try this version...

Priya Suresh November 5, 2014 at 1:29 AM  

Seriously this masala gobi makes me hungry, i think i wont miss the onions or garlic in this alluring side dish.

Pavani N November 5, 2014 at 4:45 AM  

My stomach started grumbling as I look at your food photos. Masala Gobhi sounds and looks amazing. Will have to try it some time.

Jayanthi Sindhiya November 5, 2014 at 6:57 AM  

Onion and garlic are my favourite ingredients as well...But this looks delicious!! Lovely presentation

Nisha Sundar November 7, 2014 at 5:01 AM  

Lovely dish Valli and this is a treat during auspicious days . ;) Such a nice spread. Sure you must have had a scrumptious lunch...

Sreevalli E November 25, 2014 at 2:33 AM  

Looks yummy & delicious.

Anonymous October 30, 2015 at 6:28 PM  

why was cashew nut paste required when it wasn't added in the dish :)

Srivalli October 31, 2015 at 7:37 AM  

anon I thought just listing the cashew paste is enough for thickening the thanks for pointing out, looks like I missed it, have updated it now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP