Kadai Vegetable | Restaurant Style Kadai Vegetable

We are starting the second week of BM#45 and I opted to make one of my favorite themes, Side dishes - focused on North Indian style. Well people from south have this strange way of clubbing the entire north part of India from where we are, as North India. Even knowing that each state has its own different cuisines, we can't but club it together.

So I know it's a big injustice to tag so many wonderful unique cuisines under one umbrella. Let me just say that I have been short sighted. My simple three dishes are in no way representative of the vast cuisines we have. However these are simply my own interpretations of the different cuisines I have tried. 

For day 1, I have this simple, yet such a delicious side dish that gets served in restaurant, the ever famous Kadai vegetables. I am not always tempted to order anything other than paneer dishes, on most times. However the times when my friends end up ordering this dish, I have looked at the contours with great interest, to understand what actually goes into a kadai types.

I am not really sure how the name got struck, you have Kadai Paneer, kadai Mushroom, and yes Kadai Vegetables, where you have a medley of vegetables being featured. What basically stands out is the way some of the vegetables get added. The capsicum, onions are mostly as cubes. And not fully cooked, they are still crunchy. So when I had an opportunity to talk to one of the chefs on this dish, when I was visiting a restaurant kitchen, I was told that this dish gets assembled very quickly, cooked on a kadai, with vegetables being given a quick stir.

Rest of the masala is pre cooked during the day, and the gravy or semi dry is just assembled when the order is placed. So depending on which type is ordered, it is quickly stirred together and served. I am assuming that the vegetables used is also according to the season. And yes I had to add paneer to this. Though I don't think they traditional add paneer cubes in restaurant to vegetable version.

I served this with Paratto for dinner, however I know it tastes so delicious with Naans as well.
Kadai Vegetables

Ingredients Needed:

Mixed Vegetables (Cauliflower, peas, Carrot, Beans) - 2 cups
Paneer - 1 cup
Onion, minced - 2 medium
Garlic, crushed - 1 tsp
Tomato puree -1 cup
Capsicum, cubes - 1 medium
Onion, cubes - 1 medium
Tomato cubes - 1 medium
Cashew nuts - 10, paste
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt to taste

Dry Masala

Coriander Seeds - 1 tsp
Whole peppercorns - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chilies - 4 -5
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cloves - 2
Cinnamon - 2
Cardamom - 2

Dry roast all the above and grind to a fine powder

How to make Kadai Vegetables:

Wash and chop the vegetables. Par boil and keep it aside.

Fry the paneer cubes and keep it aside.

In a kadai, heat oil, add minced onions, saute well for couple of minutes, then add the crushed garlic. 

Now add the tomato puree, bring to boil. Next add all the capsicum cubes, onion cubes, and tomato cubes. Quickly qive it a stir. 

Add the boiled vegetables along with the ground masala powder. Cook on high, so that the vegetables get coated with the masala.

Add the salt, cup of water and bring to boil. Finally add the cashew nut paste. fried paneer cubes and simmer till the gravy becomes thick. 

Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rotis.
Notes:

The spices can be adjusted as per taste. This gravy tends to spicy as per the list given. You can reduce heat if required.

Since I was looking at almost dry gravies, not much of water was added. This is semi gravy with rotis, preferably served with a dal. However on it's own it tastes so delicious as well.

The picture might show it to be very dry dish, however it was quite gravy.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 45

Labels: , , , , ,