West African Hot Chocolate ~ G for Ghana

Nothing can beat Chocolate in my house. And that’s what happened! When for the seventh day, I selected Ghana, because I came across the famous West African Hot Chocolate. I knew it would be a hit, and yes naturally my kids enjoyed it to the last bit!

Though I came across quite few other recipes, most were almost the same and I kept to the original one I read. This recipe is again from Celnet, which seem to have been the site I ended up checking for countries I had hard time figuring out. The recipe listed is retold by a Ghanaina friend of the author, though there are so many variations as expected. The traditional Ghanaian Recipe is made from a blend of milk, dark chocolate, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and rum. So recipes skip rum as well. 

When I was making it, Konda was helping me click the pictures for step by step, on seeing the cinnamon, she didn't want me to add, saying it will spoil the taste. I said it will not and moreover the traditional recipe calls for it, so there is no way I can skip that and still call it Ghanaian Recipe.

I said I will be removing the cinnamon before serving. So I was eager to know how she liked it. On drinking it, she said we could know the cinnamon taste, and as you go on, it’s no longer there and you have a great chocolaty kick settling in.
Before I could even think of chopping the dark chocolates to drop in, my helper was busy popping in chunks into her mouth. I had to literally stop her further, else nothing would have gone into it.

Then the boys were impatient because they saw something dark chocolaty thing happening and they won't want dinner as well. You should witness how it is, when I get a chocolate dish in front of my kids. They simply refuse everything else for a taste of chocolate. So it's only naturally I opt for chocolate dishes.


West African Hot Chocolate 

Country : G for Ghana
Category : Hot Beverage, Refreshing Drink, Hot Dessert
Preparation Time : 15 mins
Cooking Time : 10 - 15 mins on high, 20 - 30 mins on low flame

Ingredients Needed:

Milk - 2 cups  
Dark Chocolate, chopped - 3/4 cup (at least 80% cocoa solids)
Honey - 1 tsp 
Brown sugar - 2 tsp
Vanilla extract - 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon stick - 1/2 "
Dark rum (optional, and add to your own taste) - 2 tbsp (I didn't use)

How to make West African Hot Chocolate

In a thick bottom pan, bring milk to boil, add the chopped dark chocolate and stir to melt. 

When the chocolate is completely melted, add the honey sugar and cinnamon stick. 

Heat gently, and keep stirring constantly. When the drink becomes little more thick, add the vanilla and rum if you are adding at this stage. 

You can switch off when little bubbles form all the way around the sides of the pan.

Allow to cool a bit, remove the cinnamon stick, pour into serving mugs and serve.

Notes:

Cinnamon gives a different twist to this chocolate drink. And honey with brown sugar makes it more thick. Adjust the sweetness to taste before serving.
You could even top this drink with whipped cream before serving.

When it becomes cold, it tends to become more dense, more like a thick sauce, warm it again if you want a hot drink.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 44


An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , , , , , ,