badge


Shakarli Bodom | Sugar-Coated Almonds ~ U for Uzbekistan

>>  Wednesday, September 24, 2014

For our next stop on a culinary tour around the world in 30 days, doing ABC Intl Cooking, I am stopping at U for Uzbekistan. I don't know much about the history of the country, except knowing it was part of the Soviet Union and got independent in the 90's. This was all related to my association with USSR and things that were happening during that period in life.

Anyway I completely forgot about the country, until I came around this simple recipe, that I chose to make for this BM. 

This was one of the recipes that I did in batch and as always since the other dishes were more in demand for the kids, they hardly looked at it. Infact Konda only tasted it and said it was good. However since she doesn't like Almonds, she is not going to eat it. So I ended up eating it all myself. I love Almonds and this is such an addictive snack. 

It is called Shakarli Bodom, which has a tantalizing hint of Indian Language for the name. This dish must have been the most simplest and easiest one made for this BM and one that I personally enjoyed all myself. I had this stocked in an air tight container and nibbled at it for over couple of days. I was enjoying it so much. This is surely something one can make on the whim.

Exams are getting over for the kids and I am sure they must have planned well for their pooja holidays. On my side, I am still not sure if I will be doing the Navaratri Pooja Virtually, though I will be observing it at home. I really wish I could do it, let's see.



Shakarli Bodom | Sugar-Coated Almonds

Country - U for Uzbekistan
Category - Sweets, Kid Friendly
Cooking time : 10 mins
Resting time - 20 - 30 mins

Ingredients Needed:

Almonds - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 cups
Water - Just enough to cover the sugar
Unsalted Butter - 3 tsp

How to make the Sugar Coated Almonds

In a thick large saucepan add the water and sugar (save about 3 tbsp for last stage). Bring the mixture to a boil. 

Remove scrum if any, by straining, continue cooking for another 5 - 7 mins. 

Then add the almonds to the boiling syrup and stir continuously for 10 to 12 minutes. 

Next add remaining sugar and butter, stirring vigorously for 3 - 4 minutes. 

Remove almonds from the stove and pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet to dry. 

Serve immediately or store in a air‐tight container.

Notes:

Make sure you are at the stove, stirring it continuously, else the sugar will get burnt.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 44



15 comments :

Usha September 24, 2014 at 12:13 AM  

I can see why you were munching on it for couple of days. I think I would have done the same. Nice snack.

Varadas Kitchen September 24, 2014 at 2:18 AM  

These almonds are addictive. It is hard to stop with one.

vaishali sabnani September 24, 2014 at 5:11 AM  

This might be s simple and a quick recipe but a real good one. These must have tasted amazing. .my friends make with honey ..wish the recipe was chocolate coated almonds:))

Suma Gandlur September 25, 2014 at 1:30 AM  

I bet these are addictive. And guess what Valli, fiir today's post I cooked a similar recipe with peanuts from another country and my daughter couldn't stop from eating them. If it would have been almonds, she would have reacted the same way as Konda. :)

Priya Suresh September 25, 2014 at 2:19 AM  

Omg, hard to resist to these munchies, sounds like the famous pralines, i want some rite now to munch.

Harini-Jaya R September 30, 2014 at 7:47 PM  

Love it. I make honey roasted almonds and trust me they are just as addictive!!

Pavani N September 30, 2014 at 11:35 PM  

What a sweet and addictive snack. yummy!!

The Pumpkin Farm October 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM  

we usually buy a lot of coated roasted nuts during diwali period as all 3 of us love to munch on them...some days i make it at home, this one looks nice too and definitely worth munching for days

Gayathri Kumar October 8, 2014 at 11:53 AM  

I can eat almonds as it is. Coating them with caramel makes me drool...

Padmajha PJ October 16, 2014 at 8:39 AM  

Sounds so simple and I can see how addictive they can be!Am surprised by the Indian touch in the name!!

Archana Potdar October 19, 2014 at 5:31 PM  

With me they would have not lasted for more than a day!! Love the almonds and the India touch.

Chef Mireille October 24, 2014 at 6:40 AM  

what a great snack

Manjula Bharath October 29, 2014 at 8:11 AM  

delicious and healthy sugar coated almonds :)they are hard to resist !!

Sreevalli E November 5, 2014 at 8:09 AM  

Very irresistible snack.. Can never stop with few.

Sapana Behl December 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM  

Sugar coated almonds sounds a perfect snack to munch on..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP