Mixed Vegetable Noodles Cutlet | How to make Noodle Cutlets

Finally we are on the fourth week of the BM#41 and I had opted to do "Pick one Ingredient and do all three days". There really is no science behind how I arrive at the list. Mostly happens that I pick up randomly, sometimes because I want to experiment with one particular ingredient or maybe I have some handful of recipes marked with it. But mostly because I picture my friends picking the list and coming up with beautiful recipes. 

Trust me, most of the time, my versatile group, comes up with such innovative dishes, that I get so impressed with the way they work on the themes. So it was no different this time as well, except for one ingredient, which was added with the thought I will work on some long forgotten dishes. Those dishes that used to frequent our kitchen many years ago.

Noodles it was, especially the Hakka Noodles. Of course the Hakka cuisine that is supposed to be, is way different from what is understood in India. The recipes that I am going to share are my own interpretation of what we like best with the noodles sold as Hakka Noodles. These are no way how the cuisine might be or the way it is supposed to be cooked. These are completely our own take on our favorite way of cooking these noodles. However since these are such favorites in our home, I tend to be more partial to them on the whole.
Coming to this month's themes I did, the entire month saw me cooking frantically over the weekend, trying very hard to cook all the three dishes in one go, hoping everything will click. I really don't like to be in that state, however at times I can't avoid. Since I was very busy the whole of Saturday, I had my Sunday lunch alone to make these dishes. Again things were against my plans, and I almost thought I might not take up this week, which sounded too ridiculous to my own ears! 


I don't know about others, I can say for myself that my clauses get me into trouble. I wish I didn't make life so hard by coming up with these clauses. Then I think of all the stunning recipes my friends come up with and think how boring it must be, if they didn't have to give exercise to their minds...:) So I was down with an ingredient, cook three different course of a meal and I had just my lunch as the time to complete.

Hubby dear was out for the day. And the vegetarians were just Amma and me. Amma refused lunch as Bhatura and channa for the morning breakfast was so heavy. And with hubby dear not in, she said she didn't think it was worth me all the trouble. I said I had to do no matter what and decided to do very small portions of each dish.


By the time I fed the kids and got into making, it was way beyond my lunch time. Still I was so happy with the way all the three dishes turned out. 
These cutlets were something Amma used to make during my college days. We haven't made them in ages. And I don't even know if this is how she used to make. I just went about doing as I might do with a regular tikki, just that since I was using hakka noodles, wanted to use soya sauce and green chili sauce.

Konda loved these so much, that she was demanding for more and even wanted to know how the total number got disappeared. She has made me promise to make again for her.
Boiling the Noodles

In a wide vessel, boil thrice the amount the quantity of water you will need. When it starts rolling boil, add the noodles and cook on high for 4 -5 mins, depending on your noodle thickness.

When the noodle is done, you can press it between your fingers to see if it is done, make sure it's not hot, the noodle should be soft but not very soft.

Run it under cold water immediately, then toss it with oil for the noodles not to stick together. You can alternatively spread under fan for it to get cooled.


Mixed Vegetable Noodles Cutlet
Makes : 8 nos

Ingredients Needed:

Noodles - 1 cup
Mixed Vegetables - 1 cup (Carrot, beans, cabbage, Sweet Corns kernels)
Onions - 1/2 cup
Potato - 1/2 cup
Corn flour - 3 tbsp
Green chili sauce - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Soya Sauce - 1 tsp
Oil for deep frying

How to make the Cutlet

Boil the noodles in thrice its amount of water, drain and keep it aside. Add oil to make sure the noodles don't stick together.

For making the cutlet:

MW the potato for 4 mins, soak in water, peel the skin and mash well.

Boil finely chopped carrot, beans, cabbage, corn for 7 mins.

In a bowl, take the peeled potatoes, vegetables, salt, green chilie sauce, soya sauce, finely chopped onions, crumble everything well.

Then add corn flour, mix well. Finally add the boiled noodles, take care not to over mix, else you don't fine the noodle retaining its shape.

Pat down as small discs. keep it aside.

Heat a pan with oil, when the oil is hot, gently slide down the cutlets and deep fry on both sides till brown.

Drain on a kitchen towel and serve hot with sauce.
Notes:

If you want you can add green chilies, or Red chili powder for spice and also include chat masala or garam masala for more indian flovours

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 41

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,