Microwave Chocolate Cake with Apple Cider Vinegar

>>  Wednesday, June 11, 2014

When I was talking so much about the picnics we used to go as kids, I was reminded that we haven't really given our kids the same exposure we had. The most we have taken them would be the long drives we used to do during weekend and the food associated would always be what was suitable for a car drive. 

We also used to have sort of eating in the opens or vanabhojanam, when we used to return home from SIL's place. It used to be half way through the journey and on time for lunch. So sil used to pack us food and we used to travel well prepared. It was also a time for us to stretch our legs, so we used to spend sometime after eating.

This trip used to be on the way back. However on the journey from home, I always used to bake some cupcakes for the onward journey and for my niece and nephew. The cupcakes always worked better as a single serving and kids love cakes. So it was a great option. 
So while remembering these, when I recently met my BM friends, knowing there will be kids along, I made these cupcakes, frosted with a cream and sprinkles on top. These were such winners! However I have another story on how these came about. It was only on the night before I finalized on cakes and on top I thought I would do it the convectional method. The biggest push was that huge bottle of apple cider vinegar that I had bought a while ago and not even opened to use.

I was thinking I could use it to make the cakes for the day. Everything went well until the batter was all done and even piped into the cupcake molds. The moment I switched on the oven to pre heat, I got an error and it wouldn't just start. With the batter lying on the counter, I rushed in to ask my BM buddies if they knew what that error message meant. I googled it but nothing came up. I thought of the Manual only then and turned on the pages to read that the error msg meant that temperature was faulty and the machine has gone into safety mode. so there was no way I could get my cakes baked.
I rushed to parent's place, hoping I will salvage at least something and resorted to MW mode of baking. On the hide sight, apart from my oven being decommissioned, the fact that I MW the cakes worked out best. Because the first batch got over before I even could batter my eyelid! Then I made about 4 batches of the batter and spent about next hour or so, with each 1 and half minute spent for a batch along with frosting.

I was very happy seeing how the kids reacted seeing the cream frosted cupcakes and Konda was saying that all the kids were so excited seeing the cupcakes. 
Mix all the dry ingredients first in a bowl
Then slowly add the wet ingredient one by one, with adding the water at the last.
 Then fill the cupcake moulds to 1/4th and MW for a minute and 30 secs, cool and dig in!
Microwave Chocolate Cake with Apple Cider Vinegar
Makes 7 medium cupcakes
Cooking Time : 
1 Min 30 Secs in Microwave mode
15 - 20 mins at 185 C in Convection mode per batch

Ingredients Needed:

All purpose flour - 1-1/2 cups
Powdered Sugar - 3/4 cup
Salt a pinch
Baking soda 1 tsp
Cocoa powder - 3 tbsp
Vanilla - few drops
Olive Oil - 1/3 cup
Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 tbsp
Water - 1 cup

Dark Chocolate cream Frosting

Dark chocolates - 1/2 cup
Soft butter - 2 tbsp
Powdered Sugar - 1 tbsp
Vanilla few drops

Sprinkles for topping.

How to make Chocolate Cake

Sift all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

Next add vanilla essence, Olive Oil, Apple cider vinegar, gently mix together. Next slowly add the water and gently mix together.

Line cupcakes and fill the batter 1/4 of each cup and microwave for 1 min 30 secs.

Allow it to rest and frost with your frosting.

For the Frosting

Melt the chopped dark chocolates in MW for a minute.

In a bowl, take the melted chocolates, soft butter, sugar, beat well. MW for 30 secs and beat well.

Once the frosting sets, frost the cupcakes and top with sprinkles.

Water to be added can be adjusted according to the looseness of the batter.

MW for a minute and then increase for another 30 sec.

When you are making it in convectional oven, you can pre heat the oven for 185 C and bake for 15 mins each batch.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 41


Priya Suresh June 11, 2014 at 1:32 PM  

I love baking with apple cider vinegar, its a part of my vegan and eggless baking; those cuppies looks fabulous.

Sapana Behl June 11, 2014 at 3:19 PM  

Very cute looking cupcakes ...of course a wonderful treat for kids.

Nivedhanams Sowmya June 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM  

beautiful cupcakes!!! a great treat for kids and chocolate lovers!!

Varadas Kitchen June 11, 2014 at 7:23 PM  

Lovely cupcakes and a very entertaining story to go along with it.

vaishali sabnani June 11, 2014 at 8:46 PM  

Yummy cup cakes with some cute those pink hearts....Valli good that you managed to bake them..MW is a great solution to many problems. ..and I must tell you I actually want to pick one of those..just one:))..

The Pumpkin Farm June 11, 2014 at 9:46 PM  

i had a bottle of apple cider lying unused until i decided to use it to clean my sinks...i am not sure about how long it stays well..but now i need to use it for something, will try with a small batch of cup cake

Padmajha PJ June 12, 2014 at 8:32 AM  

Oven giving up on you is just the horror any baker doesn't want to even dream of! Lucky you were able to MW it. The cupcakes look very pretty and I love those sprinkles:). Apple cider vinegar is something I have to look for...

Sarita June 12, 2014 at 6:46 PM  

Cupcakes looks pretty and yummy.. Till now I haven't tried in Mw.. Great recipe..

nandoos Kitchen June 12, 2014 at 7:17 PM  

wow! yummy tempting cake..

Chef Mireille June 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM  

the color of the cupcakes looks so fudgy - I just want to dig in

Usha June 13, 2014 at 8:34 AM  

Well, broken oven was a blessing in disguise! You came up with this 1 min 30 seconds microwave cupcakes.

Kalyani June 13, 2014 at 9:28 AM  

Wow ! 30 sec microwave cakes - my daughter wd love these

Nalini's Kitchen June 14, 2014 at 7:08 AM  

Interesting cup cakes Valli...looks cute and wish to have some..

Nisha Sundar June 16, 2014 at 4:10 AM  

Cupcakes under a minute! Awesome Valli.

Pavani N June 17, 2014 at 8:17 AM  

You are so lucky to be able to find another mode of making the cupcakes without wasting the batter.
Cupcakes look just perfect. My son would probably eat them EVERY single day :-)

Harini-Jaya R June 19, 2014 at 1:32 AM  

Apple Cider Vinegar is a very good replacement for egg in these cakes. For people who are skeptical in using ACV, yogurt does a great job as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP