Corn Capsicum Cheese Dinner Rolls

>>  Tuesday, June 10, 2014

We are starting the second week of BM#41, and I selected to do dishes for Picnic! Summer is the right time for picnic and nothing beats carrying food and enjoying the open with great food and wonderful folks. When I think of picnics, I mostly remember my own childhood, spent with family friends, packing loads of food, mostly sandwiches, sometimes Mixed Rice dishes like Pulihora, Vadams, Curd Rice, which were most sought from Amma's side. 

We had regional specific specials like Bisi Bele Bath, if you read that post you will see that I had mentioned exactly this. I feel so nostalgic remember the young doctor and his wife, who first introduced this to us. We had spent quite some picnics with them and used to carry dishes from different cuisines. 

As we used to live in colonies, it used to be a mix of all age groups and summers are spent, by arranging various trips with entire family in toe or with different age group mix. I remember once going with my friends, who were of my age and oldest was 20 and the youngest was almost 10 years. Each of us planned on carrying for all, so we had huge plans in place, just to discuss what and how much to carry. Since the vehicle and everything is planned well, we used to carry everything that was needed. You can imagine if I say we carried solid plates, glasses and everything possible to make the trip ease free. The menu was a mix of regional food and sandwiches. 

Gone were those days, when we think we need to pack only rice or other regional dishes made a great picnic dishes. Infact the regular dishes tasted much more delicious when it is eaten out of a box in open air, with family and friends.

And we move now, where rice is looked with disdain and one want more trendy dishes to be packed. So keeping in mind what my kids would love, I have made these dishes for this theme. I hope you will enjoy as much as I have in making these. Infact these dinner rolls were such hit that I was asked to make again and again and it hardly is a recipe. 

However how much trouble I had to lay hands on these dinner rolls were another story. My oven is out of commission and I had to get store bought ones. My regular stores didn't have stock and I visited local bakery shop and was so lucky to find freshly baked rolls out. The shop keeper was reluctant to give me as such as he normally makes bread rolls with these and charge more. He was going on insisting that I could order ahead with him. I said for the small number I need right away, I can't really place orders and agreed to pay more for it. The fact that everybody fell in love with these cheesy rolls is another story!

Corn Capsicum Cheese Dinner Rolls

Ingredients Needed

Dinner rolls  - 4 (store bought)
Chopped capsicum - 2 cups (I used Red, Yellow and Green mixed)
Chopped onions - 1/2 cup
Corn - 1/2 cup
Cheddar Cheese - 1/2 cup
Mozzarella cheese - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Oregano - 3 tbsp
Oil - 1 tsp

How to make the Dinner Rolls

Slit the dinner rolls through middle, keep it aside.

Grate the cheese and keep it aside.

For the vegetables, chop onions, capsicums as juliennes.

Heat a non stick pan with oil, saute the onions on high. Make sure it's not over cooked. The onions have to be crunchy.

Then add the capsicum juliennes, corn kernels. Add salt and let them sweat for 5 mins.

Then add the chili flakes and continue cooking on high flame.

The vegetables should not become soggy. 

Once you are able to handle the mix, stuff the slit dinner rolls first with grated cheese, then with capsicum corn mix, top it again with cheese. 

Sprinkle oregano herbs on top.

Line all the rolls on a baking tray and MW for 30 secs. 

MW till the cheese is melted.

Serve with tomato ketchup

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 41


nandoos Kitchen June 10, 2014 at 7:49 AM  

looks so nice and colorful.. yumm..

Padmajha PJ June 10, 2014 at 8:31 AM  

Wonder how I missed this theme! I too remember those picnics we had as kids and sadly our kids are not exposed to such fun as much as we want them to na.
And this is such a fun food. Pics are really very tempting!

The Pumpkin Farm June 10, 2014 at 9:07 AM  

my son calls these are hot dogs, no matter what you stuff in it and loves it as Oggy eats rolls :). this filling is mind blowing

Nivedhanams Sowmya June 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM  

Now this is making me super hungry!!! delicious filling and so tempting..

Priya Suresh June 10, 2014 at 1:49 PM  

Seriously i miss those fun here, ur intro makes me nostalgic, this is really a super filling rolls to carry without any hesitation.Looks fabulous.

Sapana Behl June 10, 2014 at 5:54 PM  

Love to read our intro ..and those rolls looks super cool !

vaishali sabnani June 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM  

The rolls are so tempting and colourful. .actually I feel like grabbing one. And we want to know the last story too;)

Usha June 10, 2014 at 7:50 PM  

This morning when I opened my FB, first thing I saw was these rolls was drooling over the pictures. I would not have , minded eating it for breakfast

Pavani N June 11, 2014 at 1:51 AM  

Valli, those rolls look absolutely drool worthy. So colorful and very tempting.
Yup, gone are the days when we had dishes made with rice. Hmmmm, I sure miss those days.

Varadas Kitchen June 11, 2014 at 5:53 AM  

Picnics are always fun. The rolls look really good with the nice and healthy filling.

Nalini's Kitchen June 12, 2014 at 2:39 AM  

Picnics are fun filled,sandwich looks so colorful and delicious...wish to have it rite now.

Chef Mireille June 12, 2014 at 9:43 AM  

love this combination - looks great in the rolls

Kalyani June 13, 2014 at 9:29 AM  

Our fav weekend dish, although I add some other veggies / should try wit capsicum ;-))

Nisha Sundar June 16, 2014 at 3:48 AM  

Lovely dish Valli. Cheese and capsicums are mouth watering.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP