Biyyam Vadiyalu | Homemade Rice Papad

>>  Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Growing up, summers always meant and associated with couple of things. Like Vadiyalu or homemade vadiyalu, ice creams, milkshakes etc. Especially when I was in school, and we used to live in colonies where we had access to lot of space and loads of sunshine. We always had terrace and Amma always used to make these and it was mostly my job to make these papads. Those were many years ago, of course, when I was still in collage. 

After marriage and kids, I never had time to make these and we shifted places. Our current house don't have much space and we hardly go to the terrace. So our quote of Rice Papads come from my SILs, who always make it during summer. We even get homemade vadiyalus that are made by sil's neighbours in large quantity.
This year my sil made it and the sun was so sharp, that everything got done the same day. The papads came out so well, real melt in the mouth texture. I wanted to record the recipe, which isn't much of a recipe. It all depends on how you make it and it's never a recipe who can just like that make. Still I wanted to make sure I share it here. Afterall most recipes can be learnt, especially when it is so delicious.

We also add chili flakes, just chili seeds and onions to the batter. Here it was with cumins and cumin always tastes awesome when fried.

This is for the second day of Summer Special. What's a typical Madras Summer without these special dishes!

Biyyam Vadiyalu

Ingredients Needed:

Raw Rice - 2 cups
Salt to taste
Water - Nearly 5 cups

Other optional ingredients

Cumin Seeds - 2 tsp
Red Chili flakes/ Seeds - 1 tsp

Oil - for deep frying

How to make the Biyyam Vadiyalu

Wash and soak the rice overnight. Next morning, change the water couple of times, drain the rice. Grind the rice to almost smooth and coarse texture. Mostly this can be sort of minute coarse rice grains. 

Take water in a pan and bring to boil. When it is in the stage of rolling boil, add salt, cumin (if adding), slowly add the rice batter and keep stirring quickly to ensure it gets cooked. This takes about 10 1- 5 mins to get cooked.

Have the sheets ready and when the mix is hot still, spread out as small discs and sun dry till done. 


The consistency of the Rice batter can be managed as how you want to spread the papads. If you want flowing ones, you can make thinner batter, if you want to make murukku types, the batter has to be thick and can be squeezed out from a murukku press.

This takes about a day or two to get dried up, depending on how sharp the sun is.

This can be stored over a year in an air tight container. And fried when needed.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 41


Chef Mireille June 4, 2014 at 3:46 AM  

how nice to be able to prepare foods with natural sun drying - I dont have that option in an apartment

vaishali sabnani June 4, 2014 at 5:14 AM  

When I got married I saw my mil making these but now no more..we get them from the market. .just a kg which lasts forever , but great to have the recipe and these look so well made ..very crunchy.

nandoos Kitchen June 4, 2014 at 5:46 AM  

love this papad. We also make it with little variation..

The Pumpkin Farm June 4, 2014 at 8:33 AM  

very well explained valli...we do slightly differently, we use rice powder instead of batter...i am little wary of the stickiness while dealing with the cooked batter...but ur explanation makes it feel like a doable thing

Priya Suresh June 4, 2014 at 12:55 PM  

I make mine here itself, earlier we used to carry from India, but i learned few years back to make this rice papads and now making my batch every year, love these crispy papads.Now am waiting eagerly for summer to make some;

Kalyani June 4, 2014 at 3:53 PM  

brings back memories of grandmom and mom doing this .. like u, even I dont have the space to do this..

but so nice of ur SILs to pack in a large batch every summer .. I too could use up a little :-))

Varadas Kitchen June 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM  

I remember summers guarding a large variety of these goodies as they dried so the birds didn't get them. Brought back happy memories.

Sarita June 4, 2014 at 9:59 PM  

Ohh what a nice recipe! Vadiyalu used to have in my meal.. I'm missing here now.. Will try this recipe soon.

Maha Gadde June 5, 2014 at 1:05 AM  

i love these. n mom also prepares in summer...

Prachi Agarwal June 5, 2014 at 8:52 PM  

never made rice papad at its awesome...will try it soon

Sreevalli E June 6, 2014 at 9:13 PM  

Yummy & crunchy papad..

Suma Gandlur June 7, 2014 at 1:00 AM  

I prepare all the vadiyalu myself here and the real summer is around the corner for me. :)
We use rice flour to make these. I have to try this version of yours too this summer.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan June 9, 2014 at 7:54 PM  

Bought back so many of my childhood memories. It is such a lovely feeling to make homemade appalams and vadams. I made jevarisi vadam one year, but most of the time, the sun is just not strong enough here. Should move down South soon :)

Pavani N June 11, 2014 at 1:54 AM  

Yumm, yumm love these crunchy munchy treats..

Harini-Jaya R June 12, 2014 at 11:03 PM  

I tried making these one summer and then subsequent summers I have been getting them from mil/mom. But it is a lovely experience to make them first hand!

Vahini Manohar April 2, 2016 at 3:30 PM  

If we have to eat uninterested food we can adjust with crunchy to use in the side & we can complete our meal.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP