Panch Phoron Tarkari from Tripura

We come to the last of the North East states - Tripura. The Seven North East States surely had us all in a fix. While we started discussing the Indian States quite early, working on these NE states surely gave all of us a big headache. 

While some of the NE state dishes were finalised if not actually cooked, Tripura was something that was eluding me for the longest time. I stopped cooking for the states when we started the Mega Marathon and nearly six dishes were still pending. I was really so held up with just writing the daily posts and reading other members posts that I hardly ever had time to even plan, what to cook for some of the states that were still not finalized.

Konda, in fact, asked me, why I had stopped cooking anything new. A couple of weekends back, I suddenly felt I would simply have to make it, else will be in deep trouble. Yet finding a doable dish for Tripura was such a hard task, it was turning to be.

It was then I decided to swap a couple of recipes that I had chosen to do for other states. Panch Phoron Tarkari was supposed to be made for Mizo as one of the states had mentioned as the local dish. But again this site says this dish is made in Tripura as well. That one single clarity changed my outlook and I literally felt lightweight in minutes!

I never knew there was such a mental block that was running around. Finalizing in one single sweep was a real master stroke! Since as I said I had to do Bread, and bread can't be served as such right, so here are three really great tasting side dishes for pooris from the North East.

I made Mizoram Hmarcha RawtNagaland Mashed Potato with Burnt Tomatoes and Chilli and Panch Phoran Tarkari from Tripura. The Saturday lunch was really a treat for us. Hubby enjoyed all the side dishes.


Panch Phoron Tarkari

Ingredients Needed:

Pumpkin - 1 cup
Potatoes - 1 big
Brinjal - 2 big
Dry Red chillies - 2
Green chilies - 4 medium
Bay leaves - 3 small
Panch Phoron - 2 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Milk - 1 cup
Salt to taste

How to make Panch Phoron Tarkari

Heat the oil in a nonstick pan, add the panch phoron, after a couple of minutes, add dry chilies, green chilies, bay leaves. Saute for a couple of minutes. 

Add the cubed vegetables and mix well. Simmer with lid covered. 

Add turmeric and mix thoroughly. Now enough water and add milk to cook the vegetables.

Simmer till vegetables are tender and the water is absorbed. Add the salt finally and adjust the spice.

Serve hot with rice or poori. 
Notes:

Take care to add the milk, when you have the pan in simmer. Else you will curdle the milk. Also, salt can be added after adding the milk.

You can cook this till the milk coats the vegetables, will be good to serve with pooris this way.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 39


An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , , , , ,