Bhidai / Atta Dal Kachori, Dhaniya Chutney, Aloo ki Jhol from Madhya Pradesh

We travel next to Madhya Pradesh, a state that holds the central position in Indian. It is surrounded on all sides by other states and I read that there are so many dishes that are famous here that are famous in other states as well. 

From what I read, sweets are supposed to be very famous in this state. Apart from that the kebabs and poha that are famous, the Jalebis are supposed to very famous and eaten for breakfast. I can just imagine myself doing that!

While it was all fun to read about this state, most things that were supposed to be famous, was either not possible or already done. Especially in my bread category I was not having any choice. During one of our discussions, Varada suggested we search with the capital name or the popular city and look for dishes. This landed me in Palak Pooris. These pooris are supposed to have originally from Indore. I already have couple of versions and I wasn't sure how else one can make Palak Pooris. Next one was the Daal Bafla, which is also popular dish in Rajasthan and Gujarat as well.

So I drew blank on all sides, until I landed here, I atleast had the blogger saying these were what they made in their home town and I landed with the chutney as well. I pretty much had to search for the Aloo ki Jhol, which literally means potatoes in liquid. 

I love Kachoris, and was very eager to know what other types were there for me to try. I was surprised to read that the pooris with dal stuffings are referred as Kachoris in MP. These pooris are also called as "Bhidai" These are pooris with dal stuffed in them and served as main bread during meal time and you guessed it right. These are served with potato gravy and Dhaniya Chutney!

I tell you, by the end of my cooking of all states, one dish I must have cooked in different styles, different forms, was the Potato in different avatars. The love that each state seem to have for this spud, is beyond my understanding. And imagine, I was cooking each day each state, and ended up making potatoes almost back to back. I literally had to pause in between just to have a change.

I remember what Vaishali's friend said when I had asked her about Aloo subzi and she said they make Aloo in 40 different ways. That's just unimaginable! Anyway I got to make this version of Aloo Ki Jhol from this recipe and I am not sure where I read that this belongs to MP. Just now when I went back to check, I am unable to read. However this post will be referred again for another state later.

For now I have already made and done with and I am not going to change as the meal was one satisfying one. Yea it was another deep frying day when never ceased for a more than a month at home.



Aloo ki Jhol

Ingredients Needed:

Potatoes - 2 big
Oil - 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Methi Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Dried Red Chilie -1
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Red Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder -1  tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp

How to make Aloo ki Jhol

MW Potatoes for 8 mins. Soak and peel the skin, mash it roughly.

Heat a non stick pan with oil, add cumin seeds, methi seeds, ginger and garlic paste, dried red chilli and turmeric powder.

Give the mixture a good stir then add 2 finely chopped tomatoes. Simmer and then the spice powders. Cook for about 10 minutes for tomatoes to soften.

Now add the potatoes, about 2 cups of water along with half a cup of chopped coriander. Bring to the boil and cook for about 5 minutes.

Simmer for the subzi to thicken a bit.

Serve with Pooris.

Dhaniya Chutney

Ingredients Needed

Dhaniya / Coriander leaves, chopped - 1 bunch 
Jeera / Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Green chillies, chopped - 1-2 
Amchur / Dry mango powder - 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Garlic - 2 cloves 
Salt to taste

How to make the Coriander Chutney

Grind all the above ingredients with no water to a smooth paste in a grinder. Adjust seasoning according to taste. 
Notes

Lemon juice gives it a nice color.

If you have excess, you can store this in fridge for a day or so. Beyond that it gets spoiled.




Bhidai / Atta-Dal Kachori

Ingredients Needed

Wheat Flour - 2 cups
Split yellow Moong Dal, soaked overnight - 1/2 cup
Urad Dal, soaked overnight - 1 cup
Oil -  2 tsp
Fennel powder - 1 tsp
Hing - 2 pinches
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying

How to make the Kachori

Wash and soak the dals overnight or for atleast 3 -4 hrs.

Grind the dals to a fine paste using as little water as you can.

Heat a non stick pan, with oil, hing and fennel powder. Cook till the dal comes out cooked. Make a small ball, keep it aside.

Knead the wheat flour to a stiff dough. Pinch out enough size ball, flatten in the center, place the stuffing and close on all sides.

Dust and roll out as pooris.

Heat a kadai with oil, gently slide in and cook on both sides of the pooris.

Serve with Aloo ki Jhol and Dhaniya Chutney

Notes:

The recipe mentions that after grinding, the dal has to be kneaded with the flour to a stiff dough and then rolled out as pooris.

I wasn't really sure how it will turn out, so I sautéed the dal and stuffed it. My pooris turned out well without any problem. Maybe someday I might try that method as well.

The chutney and the aloo subzi tasted awesome.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 39


An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,