badge


Bajre ka Thepla, Rasawala Bateta nu Shaak from Gujarat

>>  Tuesday, April 8, 2014

And we are in Gujarat today! Though I hadn't visited this state until a year ago, the Gujju food has been quite common on my menu. Or at least going by the many challenges I have done on Gujarat, one would think I have been partial. It was just that I had access to more gujjus, than with other natives.

Anyway until recently, I wasn't really aware of the different sub regional cuisines and different dishes that belong to separate region. Just as we have different styles of cooking, specific to each state, Gujarat has as well. I was able to understand this much better after Vaishali did her Gujarati thali. 

From what I read in Vaishali's post on Kaathiwadi Thali, the cuisine is divided into four parts, Kaathiwadi, Gujrati, Surati and Kacchi. As expected every district has its own variety and menu but only some are popular. Even though there are so many different cuisines, the basic Gujarati thaali remains the same. Just as how it is in other parts of Indian, the everyday meal is always a Daal-Bhaat-Rotli-Shaak or the Dal and Rice, with Rotis and curries. While Toor dal is used extensively in Gujrati, while Kaathiwadis make a different daal everyday.
Reading about what Vaishali says about how a Gujju lady traditionally goes through her day, it reminds me so much of what I have seen Amma doing, during my growing up years. Just as how it is our side. A cooker or simply a vessel, with dal and rice cooking together! 

And yes it's quite common to add sugar to their daal, Shaak or Kadhi. The most funny thing Vaishali wrote about asking her friends, what if a person is diabetic. She was told that they would use less sugar!

Coming to the Rasawala Bateta nu Shaak, it literally means, Potato Gravy, where shaak means curry. 

When we had travelled to Ahmadabad and met Vaishali's friends, the most interesting and cute thing was, Vaishali introducing us to her friends, and on a second thought, telling oh yes she is a gujju and she is a Rajasthan. Unfortunately when I went, I had already done with my Gujurati post and so was able to confirm if what I did was right. So yes I was happy I followed their method.

I had decided on Bajre Ka Thepla, and had finalised a recipe as well. Then I was talking to Vaishali on how exactly it should be. She said the recipe looks good, and I could add the green chilies. A Gujju plate is incomplete without this. And yes it worked out so well, because Hubby dear was surely happy seeing it. Infact Athamma does this so often for our dals.

And coming shortly after another Bajre roti, this was very much loved as we loved the bitter fresh methi leaves and the gravy, which is always a hit.



Bajre ka Thepla

Ingredients

Bajre ka Atta - 1 1/2 cups
Wheat flour / Atta -1/2 cup
Oil - 1 tbsp
Fresh Methi - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste 2 tsp salt
Green Chilies - 3 medium
Ginger - 1" ginger 2 tsp
Garlic - 2 cloves
Roasted coriander powder - 2 tsp
Curds to knead
Butter to serve

How to make the Bajre Ka Atta

Make a fine paste of green chilies, ginger and garlic.

Wash and clean the methi leaves, drain well. Chop finely and keep it ready.

Take the flours in wide bowl, add coriander powder, spice paste, salt, oil along with the cleaned leaves.

Slowly add the curds and mix well. Knead to a soft dough and keep it covered with wet muslin cloth.

Once you are ready to make the rotis, grease a plastic sheet with oil. Divide the dough into equal balls, pat them down.

Heat a tawa and transfer the roti onto the hot tawa and cook on both sides.

Top with butter and serve hot.

Saute the green chilies in a teaspoon oil and sprinkle salt over it. Cook and toss around for a while, till the green chili is cooked and turns colour.

Serve with rotis.



Rasawala Bateta nu Shaak

Ingredients

Potatoes - 3 medium
Oil - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Dried red chili - 2
Hing a pinch
Turmeric powder a pinch
Red chili powder  -  1 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder  -  1/2 tsp
Cumin powder  -  1/2 tsp
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Salt to taste
Water - 1 cup
Coriander leaves few springs chopped finely for garnishing

How to make Rasawala Bateta nu Shaak

Wash and peel the potato and MW for 8 mins. Soak and peel the skin. Cube and keep it aside.

Heat oil in a non stick pan. Once hot add cumin seeds and dried red chili. Saute for couple of secs. Then add hing and turmeric powder.

Now add finely chopped tomatoes and cook in simmer till the tomatoes become soft.

Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder and salt.

Now add the boiled potatoes coated with the masala.

Add 1 cup of water. Stir it.

Cover the pan and cook it. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 mins, till the gravy becomes thick.

Add tamarind paste.

Finally add some chopped cilantro and serve.
Notes:

You can use raw potatoes and cook it as you make the gravy. MW makes this very simple and easy to make. Jaggery/ Sugar is added in a typical Gujarati gravy. I skipped it.

Instead of Tomato, some use tamarind as well.



22 comments :

Nivedhanams Sowmya April 8, 2014 at 12:26 AM  

so healthy and so delicious!!!

Priya Suresh April 8, 2014 at 2:20 AM  

Nutritious bajre ka thepla, rasawala bateta looks fingerlicking, both makes a prefect pair.

vaishali sabnani April 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM  

I was smiling while reading the post....specially when you mentioned about introducing my friends...it sure seems hilarious now..anyway loved the way you have set. Up everything, looks tempting...and it's ok if you do not add sugar, it is very personal..even I remove for myself and then add for the family.

Usha April 8, 2014 at 9:01 AM  

oh, those chilies are mouthwatering! Bajre thepla are so nutritious and like the thepla rasawala bateta shaak.

nandoos Kitchen April 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM  

healthy and delicious spread..

The Pumpkin Farm April 8, 2014 at 12:01 PM  

brings back the memories of last year...lovely writeup...and lovely platter

Jayanthi Padmanabhan April 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM  

nice combination and healthy one too..

Nalini's Kitchen April 8, 2014 at 7:38 PM  

Healthy and delicious combo,enjoying your bread series in this edition..

Sapana Behl April 8, 2014 at 8:35 PM  

Bajra theplas must be healthy and with Batata Shaak it will make a delicious combo..

Rajani S April 9, 2014 at 12:52 AM  

I too started off with vaishali's kathiawadi thali. And their daily routine is more or less the same as ours as well.

I have loads of bajra flour that needs to be used up, will try this recipe sometime!

Suma Gandlur April 9, 2014 at 8:00 AM  

That's a heart and healthy meal Valli. I haven't tried using bajra flour yet. Need to buy it now. :)

Padmajha PJ April 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM  

I was literally smiling when I was reading your post Srivalli. The scene of Vaishali introducing you to her friends almost came in front of me! And while I was writing this post, all I was thinking was about our trip and the wonderful food we were fed with!

And the platter looks so nice Srivalli,esp the bajra thepla with the fenugreek leaves...

Pavani N April 9, 2014 at 11:46 PM  

Bajre thepla with methi sounds healthy and nutritious. Love the whole platter and that potato curry sounds yumm!!

Varadas Kitchen April 10, 2014 at 4:51 AM  

Bajra rotla was a hit in my house too. Your thapla looks perfect.

Gayathri Kumar April 10, 2014 at 12:54 PM  

Loving the look of methi leaves in roti. And the aloo side dish sounds flavourful...

Harini-Jaya R April 11, 2014 at 6:04 AM  

Very healthy thepla. I would love to make this for dinner soon.

Chef Mireille April 17, 2014 at 1:26 AM  

thepla looks so tasty

Archana Potdar April 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM  

I love the bajre ka thepla and how delicious the methi looks. I love the small methi bundles. Hee Valli since you were listening so intently to Vaishali's friend I did not pay much attention I knew I will get all the details.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan May 2, 2014 at 9:16 AM  

The potato curry is such a perfect combo for Bajra thepla! You have made it very well :)

Sreevalli E May 2, 2014 at 8:31 PM  

Delicious combo of dishes. They look so tasty.

Priya Srinivasan May 7, 2014 at 5:04 PM  

Scrumptious thali! We love bajra ki roti and as thepla it must be even more flavorful & Raswale aloo really makes my mouth watering !

Manjula Bharath May 25, 2014 at 10:53 PM  

Thats such an tempting gujju thali :) makes me drool here :) Methi bajra thepla looks very delicious, and delicious combo with batata nu shaak ... I wud love to finish the thali right away dear :) mirchi with this drooling platter is wat I need and You have it all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP