Babru, Channa Madra from Himachal Pradesh

Himachal Pradesh was one of those first states that I had finalized, though the actual cooking took place much later. Having decided and sure what I was going to cook, I never bothered about looking deeper into the recipe. So when I finally decided to make these, I was really so confused and not sure what to do.

Because I had already made other versions of Urad Dal stuffed pooris. Though dough used is a mix of wheat flour and maida, the stuffing was the same. Only saving grace was the batter stuffed was not roasted. Or atleast that's what I assumed.

The recipe I referred was from NDTV or the channa madra from google search and from here.

It was a busy evening and I had planned this and nothing else. So I was quite apprehensive about the whole thing. Hubby dear was sort of okay as he was quite busy. However Dad loved the Channa Madra and said we could add to our regular fare.

Coming to the recipe, stuffing a raw Urad batter is quite tricky and with so much of past experience handling almost the same sort of recipe, I can say I was able to manage. However I wish there was a clear instruction that said if we ought to cook the dal or not.

Anyway as I said this gave a nice twist and a different outlook from the other Urad dal pooris that I have made. I may try this again sometime, though not in near future!

It was really one kind of an experience still.

Babru | Urad Dal Stuffed Pooris

Ingredients Needed:

Wheat Flour - 2 cups
All purpose flour / Maida - 3/4 cup
Salt to taste
Black Gram Dal / Urad Dal - 1/2 cup
Baking powder - 1/4 tsp
Oil for frying

How to make Babru

For the filling:

Soak the dal in water and leave overnight.

Grind the dal to a paste, not so very soft, but not coarse as well.

For the Outer layer:

Add the baking soda to the flour along with some water and knead it well.

Pinch small balls from the dough. Flatten the sides of the ball and place small teaspoons of the daal in the center.

Cover from all sides and seal well. Dust with flour and roll out medium size pooris.

Heat a Kadai with oil and when hot, gently slide the pooris and fry on both sides.

Drain on a kitchen towel and serve with Channa Madra

Notes:

I used de-husked Urad dal, else you will have to remove the husk before grinding

The Urad dal paste is not roasted, so you got to be very careful while grinding. It can't be watery or loose.

This tends to be more like a vada batter stuffed inside the deep roasted pooris. 

However with the Madra, it tasted awesome. 

Also make sure the outer layer is stiff and you roll it gently, because once you slide into the hot oil, the stuffing may come out.

Channa Madra

Ingredients Needed:

Kabuli Chana - 1 cup
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Cardamoms - 3
Cloves - 4
Turmeric a pinch
Cumin powder - 3/4 tsp
Salt for taste
Curds - 1 cup
Rice flour - 2 tsp mixed in water
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp

How to make Channa Madra

Wash and soak channa overnight in water.

Pressure cook the channa till soft

Heat the ghee in a pan.

Add cardamoms, cloves, garam masala, turmeric, cumin. Saute well.

Then add the boiled Kabuli channa, combine everything well.

Let it cook for couple of minutes.

Then add beaten curds and mix well.

Meanwhile mix the rice flour in water and then add to the pan. Simmer so that the gravy thickens and gets cooked.

Cook with lid covered for 20 mins.

Serve hot with Babrus


Notes

The recipe asked for Black cardamom, clove powder. Instead I added garam masala. This also requires raisins to be added. I simply skipped knowing the gravy will be anyway bland and can't afford to be adding sweet.

Surprisingly even when there is no spice to this gravy, the final one went very well with the Babrus.

Maybe I can use the same spices and add either red chili powder or green chillies to make it spicy and improvise on this.





Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 39


An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,