Mixed Vegetable Pulao

We are starting the second week of BM#38 and I decided to do one of my ever favourite topics, one pot rice dishes. Only this time, it so happened that I haven't been ready on time and nearly thought I might skip this week. At the very last moment I have managed to save the day and managed to make this.

Of course the first day post got me very delayed to work and the second day got some very sarcastic comments from hubby dear. Not that ever deters me from making it. Both the rice dishes were awesome, goes without saying when the boys eat them. That of course means it wasn't as spicy it should have been for the hubby.

Anyway I was happy that I was able to strike out some of my bookmarked dishes. 


For the theme, I had decided to ask for gourmet rice dishes. This can cover so many, right from simple pulaos, to biryanis and fried rices. Simple puloas could be paired with another rice, spicy side dish to make a complete meal.

When you talk about Pulao or Pilaf, you are always left wondering how different it is from Biyani. At my home, we make very distinct difference between how these are cooked. When you cook everything together in a rice cooker or Pressure cooker, with mild and simple spices, we call it pulao. Else the masala is quite rich and heavy, and you use layering method, it's called Biryani.

Now I have gone and mixed these together and made today's post. It's a one pot cooking with heavy masala. So I am not sure what to call it. I can call it either pulao or biryani. Whatever it makes a great lunch.








Mixed Vegetable Biryani

Ingredients Needed:

Basmati Rice - 1 & 1/2 cups
Butter - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Coconut Milk - 1 cup
Water - 1 cup
Bay leaf - 2 small
Cumin Seeds
Curds - 2 tbsp

To grind into paste

Onion - 1 medium
Mint leaves - handful
Cinnamon sticks - 1"
Cloves - 4 -5
Green chilies - 3 medium
Ginger -1"
Cardamoms - 3

Grind them all into fine paste

Vegetable use

Fresh Peas, Carrot, Corn Kernels, Potatoes - cubed

To garnish

Fried Cashews - 5-6
Bread Slices - 3, cubed and browned.
Onions juliennes - 1 fried

How to make the Vegetable Biryani

Wash and soak the basmati rice for 15 mins.

Grind all the ingredients listed under masala paste to a smooth paste. Keep it aside.

Heat a pressure cooker with butter and oil, add the bay leaves, cumin seeds. Next add the ground masala, saute well. Cook well then add cubed vegetables and saute well for 5 mins. Now add the curds and cook well.

Next add the drained rice and saute well. Add the coconut milk and water. Cover and cook for 3 whistles.

Heat another pan with ghee, oil mix and fry the onion juliennes, cashews and bread pieces. Once the rice is done, add the fried ingredients on top and toss around.

Serve hot with onion raita and chips.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 38

Labels: , , , , , ,