badge


How to make Perfect Onion Pakoras

>>  Wednesday, March 26, 2014

For the third and final day of making from the How to make Perfect Series, I was so tempted to make these Onion Bhajis. I know you must be thinking it is funny that I should try out Indian recipe that seem to have been perfected by a foreigner. Yes I wanted to actually check how the taste might have been in the final dish. On that angle, this is really very enlightening. 

On that count, I haven't actually shared the perfect Onion pakoras that I make. Yes even if I claim it myself, I know those turn out very crisp and chunky. The addition of hot oil/ghee and Fried gram powder makes all the difference. I was surprised I have not shared that yet. 

Anyway now it's a chance for this different take of the recipe to be shared. First off, Bajjis, Pakodas/ Pakoras are common dishes across all states of India. From my own terminology, Pakodas are those where the main ingredient is coated with a stiff layer of either Gram flour, Rice flour or Maida. When it is stuff inside batter and not seen, it's called Bajjis. So the recipe shared by Felicity Cloake, typically shows the onions being visible, so I end up calling these as Pakoras. 
Coming to the recipe, though I was tempted to make these, I was planning on something else. However situation demanded I make Onion pakodas and I thought I would make the best use of the chance. 

So when comparing the shape, texture, here's my take on how I classify a bajji or a pakodas


However in general these two are used interchangeably and there is no hard and fast rule to fix this. 

Anyway after making this recipe, couple of things I made note of was, I didn't like the lemon juice being added. It made the batter a bit more sour for my liking. Fennel, Garlic and Ginger adds up to the overall taste.









The perfect onion Pakoras

Ingredients Needed:

Gram flour - 1 cup
Rice flour - 1/2 cup
Onions, julinnes - 2 big
Ghee, melted - 2 tsp
Juice of ¼ lemon
Turmeric a pinch
Cumin seeds, crushed - 1/2 tsp coarsely chopped
Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
Green chillies, finely minced - 1 long
Ginger, finely grated - 1/4 inch
Garlic, finely chopped - 1 small clove
Coriander, chopped 1 tbsp
Curry leaves, handful

Vegetable oil, to cook

How to make the perfect pakoras

Sift the flours into a mixing bowl, then add in all the ingredients and mix well together. Make sure the onions are well coated. Slowly add the water and mix in to a stiff dough

Heat the oil in a kadai. To check if the oil is hot, drop a small bob of batter, it should sizzle as it hits the oil, then float.

Once the oil is hot, you can drop the batter by using a spoon and dropping it gently. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan/kadai. Cook for about four minutes, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden, then drain on a kitche towel.

Serve hot as such or serve it with Uggani
Notes:

The original recipe calls for this to be made as balls or bajjis. However I made these as pakodas.

Next time round, I may skip the lemon juice.

With this we end this month's edition of BM and we are excited about the next month! Stay tuned for the month long marathon!

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 38


11 comments :

Sreevalli E March 26, 2014 at 1:35 AM  

They look crispy & delicious..

nandoos Kitchen March 26, 2014 at 3:10 AM  

a very useful post and yummy pakodas

Varadas Kitchen March 26, 2014 at 6:58 AM  

Interesting take on the name - pakoda versus bhajis. The pakodas look good.

Ramya Krishnamurthy March 26, 2014 at 8:35 AM  

Yummy pakoras and perfect and favorite snack.

divya March 26, 2014 at 9:05 PM  

This looks super delicious. . Absolutely yumm..

Briju Parthasarathy March 27, 2014 at 4:50 PM  

Loos crispy, delicious, tempting pakora and thanks for such a lovely informations

Priya Suresh March 27, 2014 at 9:54 PM  

Very crispy and addictive pakoras, would love to munch some, love ur plate Valli.

Pavani N March 28, 2014 at 1:51 AM  

Those sure look crispy and delicious. Wish I could have some.

sushma March 28, 2014 at 5:34 AM  

Perfectly made crispy onion pakoda for a perfect rainy day.

Sangeetha Priya March 29, 2014 at 5:23 AM  

tempting pakoras!!!

Chef Mireille April 8, 2014 at 2:52 AM  

funny that you chose Indian recipes - looks so nice and crispy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP