How to fry perfect chips at home

We are starting the final and the fourth week of BM#38, and for this week, I selected a theme that was so interesting. 

The theme for this week is "How to make Perfect Series". Felicity Cloake redid some hundreds of recipes in a How to make Perfect Series for the The Guardian and she painstakingly referred so many recipes for a single recipe and arrived a perfect one that could represent the actual taste and style. 

I had wonderful time reading through many of the recipes she redid and decided to have this theme for the month. However as any recipe, method or style will be so subjective, I feel some of these recipes fall under that as well. There are so many recipes here to choose, some had eggs in them, so it was hard for me to try. I went ahead making some right away and had a great time seeing how my kids loved all that I made under this series.

The first one under this series that I enjoyed making and had demands for more and more, were the French Fries. Or the Perfect Chip.


Growing up as any other kid, I was obsessed with French fries, more so because I couldn't eat potatoes as the regular Indian style Podimas or potato fries, as I was allergic to this form of potatoes. Nothing happens when I eat as wafers or chips. So you can understand French Fries were my favourite.

I remember making these French fries so many times at home, I even actually had done these in the same method recommended here. However over years I think I completely forgot about this method and because of the time consuming nature, not been doing the fries in this way. However after making it and seeing how much my kids loved it, I will be making it only this way. 

Many years ago, Dad had got us a Mandolin chopper that was excellent. The maximum we used it was for these chips. This was during my schooling and later when we shifted residence, Amma somehow thought it was too risky to move around with this and gave it away. I know even now Dad and I keep lamenting on loosing that chopper.

On the day of actually making it, I somehow overlooked not having the those big and long Potatoes for these chips. I had to make do with the medium one. I guess it never really matters when you have kids eagerly waiting to grab these. I literally had to stop them before clicking. The chips lived up to it's name!

Homemade Potato Wafers
Homemade Potato Wafers in MW














How to make Perfect Chip

Ingredients Needed

Big Potatoes - 4 -5
Oil for deep frying
Salt to taste
Pepper for seasoning

How to make Perfect Chip at Home

Wash well and peel your potatoes and cut into chips – approx 1 cm for thick cut chips, half that for thinner ones. Rinse well under cold water, then drain.

Put the chips into a pan of cold, salted water, and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, and simmer until just soft to the point of a knife.

Drain, pat dry and allow to cool, then put in the fridge until cold.

Heat your kadai with oil. Check with one chip to ensure the oil is hot enough. then add a batch of chips. Don't overcrowd the pan. Blanch for about five minutes until cooked through but not coloured.

Remove, drain, pat dry, and again refrigerate.

When you're ready to eat, heat the oil again to hot enough to fry and add the chips. Cook until crisp and golden, then remove, drain, season and serve immediately.

Serve with ketchup.

Notes:

It is recommended to have a cooking thermometer, or electric deep fat fryer for this recipe. However I went ahead going by what I felt was right temperature.

Author advises to heat your fat to 120 C for the first frying and then to 160 C when you are ready to eat. This is helpful if you have a cooking thermometer.

The chips were really so crisp on outside and soft inside. Just like you get in store.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 38

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,