How to make Goan Garam Masala

>>  Tuesday, February 18, 2014

I know this post has been lying around my draft for so many months by now. For BM#30, which is about seven edition before now, I had included Combo Dishes. I had asked my BM friends to list out dishes that are famous as a pair. From the lot I had selected Tonal Pav, suggested by our resident Goan Archana

I checked for some authentic recipe for the Tonak, which is nothing but the goan version of Pav Bhaji. The main thing that differentiate this Bhaji from the other, is the Garam Masala that is used. The recipes I got online were sort of contradicting and as with any Indian recipe, you get so many versions. I finally decided I had to get from somebody local and so I pinged Archana, pestering her to get a recipe from her friends.

She got me the recipe from her friend, with exact measurement. I was only too happy to follow it The Tonak Pav was a huge hit and infact Konda said I was only to make this version henceforth.

Goan Garam Masala

Ingredients Needed

Dried Goan Chilies - 1/4th Kg
Coriander seeds, (1/2 of 1/4 kg)
Saunf / Fennel seeds - 50 grms
Khas Khas / Poppy seeds - 50 grms
Peppercorns, whole - 10-15 nos. max
Shaijeera / Caraway seeds - 5 grms
Cumin Seeds - 5 grms
Dagad Phool / Black Stone Flower - 4 petals
Patri - 5 grms
Lavang / Cloves - 10 nos
Jai phal / Nutmeg -  2 nos
Big Cardamom -  2-3 nos
Turmeric powder  -  1 tsp
Cinnamon - 5 gms

How to make Goan Garam Masala

Dry roast all the above ingredients one by one. Allow it to cool. Grind to a very fine powder and store in air tight glass jars.


I used whatever dry red chilies that is available locally, couldn't find goan chilies here. I also used bay leafs

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 37


divya February 18, 2014 at 6:59 AM  

very flavorful powder...thanks for sharing..

The Pumpkin Farm February 18, 2014 at 9:38 PM  

nice recipe...very close to our kind of masala a little spicier

Manjula Bharath February 19, 2014 at 1:26 AM  

lovely recipe and flavorful podi :) thanks for sharing !!

Nalini's Kitchen February 19, 2014 at 6:53 AM  

Very flavorful and spicy garam masala powder...

Pavani N February 21, 2014 at 12:40 AM  

Such a flavorful and delicious Goan garam masala.

Sreevalli E February 22, 2014 at 9:03 AM  

Aromatic & flavorful powder..

Varadas Kitchen February 24, 2014 at 1:34 AM  

A lot of chilies in this masala gives the final product a nice color.

Chef Mireille February 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM  

what a flavorful masala

Archana Potdar February 24, 2014 at 8:53 PM  

Valli thanks for the mention. It looks yum. Want me to get fresh cashew nuts to make a veggies out of it and this masala?
Let me knoow.

Harini-Jaya R February 25, 2014 at 8:57 AM  

Awesome n flavorful masala!

Padmajha PJ March 1, 2014 at 10:02 AM  

Nice variation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP