Kande Pohe ~ Easy Breakfast Recipe

>>  Friday, January 17, 2014

We are starting the third week of Blogging Marathon and I will be doing some No Oil Breakfast dishes. While I could have been very strict with the oil part, I felt it makes no sense in skipping the oil part completely. So allowed a maximum of two teaspoons for the entire cooking and the dish should not have any butter or any other fat in any form. That I tell you is quite a challenge by itself. 

We came back from our vacation last evening and it's been so hectic. This is something I made for breakfast the day before leaving and I again made it for breakfast on return. That should tell you how much I ended up loving this dish. While we make different versions of Poha at home, I never actually did the famous Kande Pohe from the Maharastrian cuisine. So felt this was the apt time for me to attempt making it.

This really makes such an easy dish to rustle up for breakfast, taking no time to get done. I used only a teaspoon of oil and it really helps if you use a non stick pan. I use mostly non stick pans, to avoid using more oil. And this is one such dish that really turns out great with just few drops of oil. 

Between, I am running short of ideas for the rest of the two days, how uncool is that!

Meanwhile, you check out the other poha recipes as well..

Vegetable Poha
Masala Poha ~ Kids Version
Beaten Rice with Jaggary and Banana
Beaten Rice Sweet Pongal

Poha Bisi Bele Bath
Poha Dosa
Masala Poha
Coconut Poha

Kande Pohe

Poha 1 cup
Onions - 1/4 cup
Potato - 1 medium
Green chillies - 2 -3 medium
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Grated Coconut and Coriander leaves for garnishing.

How to make Kande Pohe

Wash and soak the pohe in water for 10 mins. Drain water and keep it aside for 10 mins, then add salt and lemon juice.

Heat a non stick pan with a teaspoon of oil. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add asafoetida, turmeric powder, onion pieces, potato pieces and finely chopped green chilies.

When potatoes turn tender, add pohe and stir.

Cover and cook for sometime. Remove the lid, stir and again allow it to cook for 2 minutes.

Garnish with coconut and coriander leaves. Serve hot.


I skipped adding sugar to this recipe.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 36


Manju Modiyani January 17, 2014 at 4:18 AM  

This is one of my favorite breakfast foods! Looks so tempting!

Wer SAHM January 17, 2014 at 10:21 AM  

ultimate maharastrian breakfast n off course easy too ...

Manjula Bharath January 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM  

wow such an inviting and delicious kanda poha :) perfect breakfast recipe :)

nandoos Kitchen January 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM  

easy to make, tasty poha. Perfect breakfast

Varadas Kitchen January 18, 2014 at 3:41 AM  

This is a favorite snack at my house.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan January 18, 2014 at 7:19 AM  

Quick to make and very filling too! I love this :)

Padmajha PJ January 18, 2014 at 7:54 PM  

Poha is our fav too.Love this version! Really a quick and healthy breakfast...

Jayashree January 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM  

This is one of my favourite breakfast dishes, Valli.

Pavani N January 20, 2014 at 3:16 AM  

This is one of my go-to breakfast dish too. Quick and easy to make.

Chef Mireille January 20, 2014 at 8:13 AM  

what a quick breakfast

Harini-Jaya R January 21, 2014 at 3:11 AM  

My fav kind of breakfast!

Jayanthi Padmanabhan January 21, 2014 at 2:36 PM  

I've been eyeing this dish too for a long time but have never tried it. Yours looks perfect

Ramya Krishnamurthy January 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM  

Delicious poha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP