Baked Namak Para ~ Easy Snack for Travel!

A very Happy New Year to all my readers!

I know I am late in wishing all, hope everybody had a wonderful start. I am starting the first post of the new year with a Blogging Marathon post for this month. We are starting the BM Edition 36. And you will see me sharing some recipes that are suitable for travelling. 

When I selected Travel Food as one of the themes, I was thinking of our many travels we had done during my childhood. Daddy's job took him for tours every week and during summer holidays, he used to take us along with him. And those were the best time I remember. He was incharge of the Southern Zone, so we have toured to some places more than ten times. Like Coonoor and Mysore used to be our regular holiday destination. And I can still remember each and every street in Coonoor. 

As the Nilgiris train wades through the forest, all I need is to just to close my eyes and I can almost remember every shade of the Lantanas that grow wild on the sides, almost reaching inside. This route is just one of the many memories that are still so fresh and I think this post will not be enough to cover them all.
However all our trips are highlighted by the snacks, food we carried. Amma always makes sure she makes Masala Peanut. This used to be a standard one. We now have a healthy one as Baked Version of the Masala Peanut or for a variation make with Ragi as well. Then there were so many other snacks apart from this. 

For some overnight journeys, we sometimes used to carry Top Ramen Noodles, that also had vegetables in it. We used to be so excited because we would be digging into noodles and enjoying the train journey, the maximum one can do within an AC coach. Most of our summer vacations used to be accompanied by Daddy's another doctor friend and his family. Infact they were more family and their kids were our age. The second daughter was my age and my classmate in college later. So you can imagine the fun it used to be when we used to go together during school. 

I guess I should simply stop here with these Namak Paras, which again used to be one of the snack that Amma or Aunty used to bring along. I saw Suma making a baked version and wanted to try that, as I already have all possible versions of fried Namak Para. I am not able to find my savory version right now. Will update once I get the link..:)

Meanwhile, the sweet one Sakarapara, one with wheat and Ragi Namak para 

Since I had the other two and a snack or savory snack was pending, this was just done and everything got over right away. I wanted everybody to share a snack, Main course and a dessert!

So I hope you will enjoy these journeys down the memory lane!










Baked Namak Para

Preparation time : 5 mins
Resting Time : 10 - 15 mins
Baking Time : 15 - 20 mins
Yields apprx. 40 namakpares

Ingredients Needed:

Wheat Flour - 1/2 cup
All purpose flour / Maida - 1/2 cup
Salt - 3/4 tsp
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Coarsely crushed cumin seeds (optional) - 1 tsp
White sesame seeds (optional) - 1 Tbsp
Softened ghee - 2 tsp
Cooking Oil - 1 tsp
Cold water - 3 -4 tbsp

How to bake the Namak Para:

Add flours, salt and baking powder to a mixing bowl.

Next add ghee and rub it in with fingertips until the ghee gets incorporated into the mixture.

Add cumin and sesame seeds to the mixture and combine well.

Add water and form a stiff dough. Let it rest for about 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 200 deg C.

Dust the rolling surface with flour. Roll out the dough into 1/4 inch disc and cut them into diamonds. Gather the end bits and repeat the process. Prick holes using a fork just to make sure of even baking.

Arrange the cut diamonds on the baking tray and bake for about 15 - 20 minutes. Mine were done in 18 - 19 minutes.


Notes:

Though the recipe calls for tablespoon of ghee, I only used teaspoon. We liked the taste as such, though it would have been very rich otherwise.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 36

Labels: , , , , , , , ,