Oats Ven Pongal ~ Diabetic Diet

>>  Thursday, December 12, 2013

For the third day of cooking healthy dishes for a particular diet program, where I had selected to do Diabetes Diet, I finally decided to make this Pongal with Oats and Moong dal. These ingredients are normally advised when we try to arrive at menu for a diabetic diet and I decided I could make something similar on lines to a pongal as I was making for dinner. This recipe was just came to mind when I was thinking of another theme. Now I am forced to come up with something else. 

It might sound little weird, however I am not so receptive to new combinations. This actually prevents me from experimenting lot of new combinations. I guess I am fine with that trait of mine, nonetheless more happy than self. This also prevents from lot of new dishes coming out of kitchen that has no takers. This doesn't mean I don't cook new dishes, however I always first visualize the taste and then proceed. I have been lucky with the success most times. You may ask how I manage the non veg, well no answers there!

Anyway I am happy to have landed with another combination that works out well for diabetes, I will have to cook this couple of times more to get that correct water proportion, to get the right stickiness in the pongal. I am sure you can reduce and cook more if required.

All in all, another theme done to satisfaction.

Oats Ven Pongal

Ingredients Needed:

Oats - 3/4 cup
Split Yellow Moong Dal - 1/4 - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Water - 1 & 1/2 cup or 1 cup

For Tempering

Ghee - 1 tsp
Curry leaves few
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Crushed Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Cashew nuts - handful

How to make the Oats Ven Pongal

In a pressure cooker, roast the oats for a while. Remove and roast the moong dal. Wash the moong dal and add the oats to the pressure cooker.

Add the water and salt. Pressure cook for 2 -3 whistles.

Once the pressure falls, heat another pan with ghee, temper with cashews, curry leaves, pepper, cumin. Pour over the cooked oats and dal. Mix well.

Serve with chutney or pickle.

Since Oats become mushy and sticky when added in water, make sure you don't add too much water as it is normally added in regular rice pongals.

You can add vegetables to increase the healthy aspect as well.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 35


Usha December 12, 2013 at 6:30 PM  

Oats pongal looks like the regular rice moong dal pongal. I would not mind that for my breakfast right now. Yum!

vaishali sabnani December 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM  

With my daughter shifting from Chennai, I was introduced to Pongal, and now this oats must have tasted awesome and healthy too.

divya December 13, 2013 at 6:10 AM  

healthy n delicious dish...

nandoos Kitchen December 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM  

Healthy version of pongal and nice way to incorporate oats in you daily diet.

Arthy shama December 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM  

Oats pongal looks delicious, thanks for sharing :)

Briju Parthasarathy December 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM  

Looks delicious and thanks for sharing lovely recipes in Healthy food - diabetic series

Sapana Behl December 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM  

Oats ven.pongal looks perfect! must be yummy....

Pavani N December 14, 2013 at 8:43 PM  

Oats pongal looks healthy & delicious. I will definitely try this. I hope my husband likes it -- he's the picky eater in the house :-)

Suma Gandlur December 17, 2013 at 9:01 AM  

Love all variety of pongals. Besides oats add an healthy touch.

Chef Mireille December 18, 2013 at 6:26 AM  

although oats is eaten a lot here for breakfast and in sweets like muffins and cookies, it is virtually unheard of in savory presentations like this in America.

Archana Potdar December 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM  

I love oats as breakfast and now will love it as lunch.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP