Instant Broken Wheat Idli ~ Easy and Quick Breakfast Ideas

>>  Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I almost thought I might not make it for the third day. I was blank, trying to think of ideas on what else I could make for this theme. Though I had recently worked on my breakfast index, I seem to have left out some of them and only during this search, I realized that I had already blogged about it. I was happy knowing I didn't make a repeat of something in the thought of not having cooked already. 

I think other than handful of dishes, which mostly covers my dals, sambar and Paneer Butter Masala, there are never a repeat at home. I always feel what's the point in cooking the same dish, unless it is something you are so much in love with. Like my kids are on PBM. I might as well check out a new dish, and enjoy a new flavour rather than going with the same old subzis. 

Anyway final thought of course was that I was glad I didn't go with those ideas, which would have ended up being a repeat show. So I got this fine variety of broken wheat and tried this instant idlis. This was our Sunday lunch for Amma and myself, when we made non veg for the rest. Amma liked it much and we decided we should make it for Dad and this would be an apt breakfast dish for Diabetes.

I know when you are used to the softest idlis on earth, you might not want to try anything else. Still having an alternate for your busy mornings, will surely help


Instant Broken Wheat Idli


Broken Wheat, fine - 1 & 1/2 cups
Curds -  1 cup
Water - 3/4 cup
Coriander leaves  few
Fresh Coconut, grated - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste

For tempering

Oil - 2 tsps
Onions - 1 medium
Curry leaves few
Mustard, urad dhal, - 1/2 tsp
Channa dal - 1/2 tsp
Cashew nuts - 4 -5 broken

Cashew nuts handful for garnish

How to make the Idlis

In a non stick pan, dry roast the broken wheat. Remove and cool. Transfer to a bowl and mix with curds without lumps.

In the same pan, heat oil, add seasoning, sauté till onions are done and pour over the mixture.

Add salt, coriander leaves and grated coconut. Now add water and mix well.

Mix thoroughly, and pour in greased idli plates and steam for about 10 minutes.

Serve with chutney of your choice.


This instant idlis don't need resting as well. However as I was cooking something else along with this, I ended up resting this for 10 mins.

The idlis were soft, though it did turn out to be little dry. So either increase the oil or water by 1/4 cup more.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 34


Sandhya Ramakrishnan November 26, 2013 at 12:15 AM  

We absolutely loved this idli! Actually when you mentioned soft idli's I realized that I liked this idli for its texture. Looks delicious and it is indeed quick to make!

Manjula Bharath November 26, 2013 at 2:27 AM  

Very very healthy and soft idli's :) looks fantastic !!

Usha November 26, 2013 at 6:50 AM  

Since you have so many recipes, I would not be surprised if you repeated a recipe. At time it does get difficult to keep track of what all we blogged, especially if one is an active blogger like you. I should tell my mom about this recipe, as she too is a diabetic.

vaishali sabnani November 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM  

Wow..simply amazing, I love the idea of using broken wheat for idlis...must make them ASAP for hubby, he is going to love these and I bet these idlis will feature regularly for breakfast.

Nivedhanams Sowmya November 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM  

that is so healthy and delicious!!!


Briju Parthasarathy November 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM  

Looks yummy, healthy and good for recipe, shall surely try. Thanks

Padma Rekha November 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM  

Wow perfect healthy recipe, actualy I made this with samba godhuma rava for my next month theme and you already posted it. looks so soft Valli..

Sapana Behl November 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM  

Very innovative idea to use broken wheat for idlis ! Looks yummy ...

Chef Mireille November 27, 2013 at 7:56 AM  

wholesome and filling

nandoos Kitchen November 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM  

Healthy and delicious idly's. Looking soft too.

Priya Srinivasan November 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM  

Healthy and super filling breakfast! !!! Loving that cashew nuts on top! !!! Reminds me of idly we get in grand sweets snack section! !!!

veena krishnakumar November 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM  

Very healthy idli's. Love the way the cashew's are placed:-)

Padmajha PJ November 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM  

I remember making this from one of the cook books during the initial period of blogging and was so excited when I put it up on my blog.Yea, we loved the texture and it was so yum!Sadly I never made it after that!!!

Priya Suresh November 29, 2013 at 7:07 PM  

This is my favourite, never failed to make them atleast once a week just for me..

Pavani N December 3, 2013 at 8:03 PM  

Those idilis look great.

Harini-Jaya R December 4, 2013 at 3:28 AM  

My idea about cooking at home is similar to yours but then I end up repeating so many of our typical favs :) These idlis are awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP