Spicy Khaja | Easy Savory Snack for Deepavali

I finally made it! The last two editions, I was able to manage the first two days since those were prepared ahead of time. Somehow the final day eluded me both the weeks. Especially when both the themes for both the weeks were something I would have loved to make.

Yet I couldn't find time, infact posting on those two days was a fleet. Anyway I thought I might be able to do, just let it slip. No point in talking about water that's gone long ago under the bridge. Let's talk about what's right now and what I have to share. I was keen on making sure I make the final day's dish. Since even this week my first two days post was ready ahead.

With two days of sweets, I was keen on making some savory. I browsed through lot of stuff, nothing held my interest. While I was talking to my colleague about this, she even suggested she would ask her sister about ideas. During the discussion, she told me that her mom used to make Khaja. I said we too make and it is a famous Andhra sweet. She said though the name is same, the version her mom made was spicy one.
She was not sure if it was actually a traditional one or something her mom came up with. Anyway that was surely an idea and even after looking at prospective candidates, this one held my attention.

So finally it was decided it was going to be Spicy Khaja. I wanted to almost use the same measurement as I do for the Kaja. Then suddenly decided I could use Besan and thought it might give a good taste.

The Kaja famous in Andhra is made only of All purpose flour and uses vanaspati. As a tradition, we always make Kaja for Deepavali. In fact my hubby dear teases me that he even agreed for the alliance because of the excellent Kajas that my mom packed him when he had visited. 

So when he came home and saw me making these, he almost assumed I was making the sweet. When I told him that I wasn't, he was puzzled. I said I have already posted that. He gave a look that said "how about making something that we like and would want to eat again, rather than always playing a second fiddle to your blog" But then he didn't say and said the spicy Khajas were good. Needless to say I would be making the Kajas again this year. I can't miss out an opportunity to make something that he likes and eats.













Second method of rolling the kajas

The folding is done as how you make a parotta





Spicy Khaja

Ingredients Needed:

All purpose flour / Maida - 1 cup
Gram flour / Besan - 3/4 cup
Shortening / Vanaspati - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Red chili powder - 3/4 tsp
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Ajwain - 1 tsp

Flour for dusting
Oil for deep frying

For the spice paste
Red chili powder -1 tsp
Ghee - 1 tsp

How to make the spicy khajas

In a bowl, take the flours, spices and ajwain, along with the shortening. Rub well till you have a crumbly dough. Then slowly add water and knead to a soft dough. Let it rest for 10 mins.

Heat a Kadai with oil, and simmer when it reaches the right temperature.

To make the khajas, you can follow two methods.

First is to make a big disc, apply the spice paste over the top, roll them over or place another disc, seal, roll again. Cut into small pieces.

Dust and roll into long kajas.

Second method is to pinch out very small balls. Dust and roll out really thin disc, smear the chili paste over the top, flip as how you make the parottas, flatten till you get a disc. Gently drop in and deep fry on both sides. The folding is done as how you make a parotta

Drain on a kitchen towel once it is fried well.

Notes:

These need to be cooked on low/ medium flame.

Store them in an air tight container for longer shelf life.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 33

Labels: , , , ,