badge


Eggless Sponge Cake | Vanilla Sponge Cake ~ Eggless

>>  Thursday, October 10, 2013

We are starting the second week of BM 33 and it sure has been a slow start after the non stop mega marathon that we all did. Since most of my BM 32 was done ahead, I even planned on getting this edition dishes done. However somethings never happen as we expect. So I was able to make only one cake ahead.

The theme for this week is Eggless Cakes. I wanted us to try eggless cakes using different Egg replacers. Since I have never tasted cakes with eggs, I am not sure I can judge or compare. However I can say that all my cakes turn out good and are worth the efforts. I normally don't go for elaborate cakes nor fancy ones. In most cases it's only chocolate flavour because that's what kids like. I limit myself to a small piece. So not much of a worry if the cake is loaded with chocolate or more calories.

Anyway coming to the theme, I was surprised to see that I didn't have a proper Eggless Sponge Cake, though there are some variations of Vanilla cake, made into muffins or cupcakes etc. The other sponge cake that's quite popular is with eggs. So I decided I ought to make it eggless this time. This Eggless Vanilla cake is adapted from Nita Mehra's book on dessert. I happen to have this recipe on hand and wanted to try it.

I was very happy with the outlook as it was very perfect fit as a tea cake. Not so sweet and not so rich. There is no butter in this cake and makes a great add on to your kid's snack box. The beauty of this cake was that, even my boys liked it. With some exceptions, there is hardly ever a chance that I revisit my recipes. With so many to try, there is never enough time to make a recipe a second time. The most I have tried many times is my Eggless Blackforest Cake. This cake is something I have been baking for so many years. Even this has not be done in recent times.

Still if you make this, I am sure you will agree that this is a recipe you would be tempted again.














Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake

Ingredients Needed:

All Purpose Flour / Maida - 1 1/2 cups
Sugar  - 3/4 cup
Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Oil - 1/2 cup
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Baking Powder - 1 1/4 tsp
Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
Milk - 2 - 3 tbsp

How to make the Sponge Cake

Sieve flour and set aside

Preheat the oven to 200 degree C.

Grease an 8" round cake pan with oil and set aside.

Combine the yogurt and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat well until sugar completely dissolves.

Add the baking soda and baking powder to the curd mixture and mix well. Let it rest for 3 - 4 minutes. Add the vanilla essence and oil to it and mix well.

Add the flour in 2 batches and gently fold the mixture until everything is mixed. Take care not to over mix or over beat.

Pour this batter into the prepared cake tray

Bake in preheated oven at 200 degree C for 10 minutes, reduce temperature to 180 degree C and bake it for 30 - 35 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Brush the top of the cake with milk 8 - 10 minutes before the ending time to get a glaze.

Allow the cake to cool down for 15 - 20 minutes and then invert.

Let it cool completely and cut into pieces.

Serve and enjoy!


Notes:

The sugar was perfect for me, while my aunts who tasted this said it needs more sweet for them. However everybody at home felt it was just perfect.

Makes a great evening snack and a perfect snack for your kid's tiffin box.

Though this is quite simple, I am sure this will grace the Kid's Delight party!


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 33


14 comments :

Priya Suresh October 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM  

Spongy cake,this vanilla cake is handy for making birthday cakes when we run out of eggs and butter.

nandoos Kitchen October 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM  

Looking very soft and spongy. Kids would have loved it for sure.

Sapana Behl October 10, 2013 at 6:03 PM  

Cake looks soft and delicious ! Perfect eggless vanilla sponge cake dear.....

Manjula Bharath October 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM  

wow spongy and moist cake there :) looks super yumm dear :)

Nalini's Kitchen October 10, 2013 at 7:54 PM  

Super moist cake,looks fabulous...

The Pumpkin Farm October 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM  

indeed indeed, will definitely try, in a long time, i have seen the perfect spongy cake without eggs, will try

Harini-Jaya R October 11, 2013 at 3:55 AM  

Love the cakes with yogurt..they come out so well.

Saraswathi Tharagaram October 11, 2013 at 8:00 AM  

Looks amazingly soft and moist for an eggless cake, Love it Valli:)

Chef Mireille October 12, 2013 at 2:09 AM  

yogurt must make cake texture so soft

Padmajha PJ October 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM  

The cake has come out so well Srivalli.Looks nice :)

Sandhya Ramakrishnan October 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM  

This is such a basi must have recipe for people using egg less cakes as base. lovely recipe and well explained Srivalli!

Pavani N October 15, 2013 at 7:24 AM  

Simple & delicious everyday cake. Looks moits and yumm!!

Jayanthi Padmanabhan October 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM  

Nice and simple eggless sponge cake.

Vaishnavi April 9, 2014 at 11:00 PM  

Dear Srivalli - I made this cake today and it was really lovely. Had this with your croquettes and nice strong tea...really enjoyed these.

I have a fan-assisted oven, so I baked at 200 deg C initially (for 10 mins) and then at 150 deg C for another 10 mins and it was done!

Oh, I didn't have vanilla, so I used orange extract instead.

Very simple, very tasty and as mentioned in some of the other comments, this will make a really nice base for a birthday cake.

Thanks again for the nice recipe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP