Coconut Kalakand ~ Easy Diwali Sweets

We are starting our third week of Blogging marathon and I wanted to make something simple and easy for all the festivals we have during this time. My list for Deepavali has become so long that I gave up trying to organise them any more.

And when I think of festival sweets and savouries, all of them end up being very lengthy and complicated. So the theme for this year has been to make simple dishes that can get done as quickly as we can. And the most important factor being that, they should be people to eat that. I can no longer afford to indulge as the saying goes "A Minute on your lips, forever on hips"!

So the items had to be something that is not so much of calorie, something that can vanish quickly and of course not take so much time. 

Coconut Kalakand fits the bill exactly. This recipe is from one files, from The Hindu back edition. When I was checking out to do the CCChallenge, I came across and decided it would be easy to make.
The entire cooking didn't take more than half hour, provided you have grated coconut on hand. Rest of the items were easy to add and stir everything in a quick sweet.

When I was going through my baking trays and pans, my kids saw these moulds and wanted me to make cakes for them again in them. Instead I went ahead and used it for this sweet. Seeing these when it was getting set, they assumed it was a cake. I was sad seeing them being disappointed and wanted to bake something right away. Then I decided to perk them up, I must do some chocolate dish. Well it was done and it was soon their favorite. While hubby dear liked this a lot.














Coconut Kalakand

Ingredients needed

Milk - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Milk powder - 1/2 cup
Paneer, paste - /14 cup
Fresh Cream - 200 gms
Dessicated Coconut / Fresh coconut - 1 & 1/2 cup
Saffron, melted in lit milk - 1/4 tsp
Cardamom powder a pinch
Almonds, pistas for garnish

How to make the coconut kalakand

Pulse the paneer to make a paste, keep it aside.

In a non stick pan or thick bottom pan, take the milk, sugar and heat it till the sugar melts.

The add the milk powder, paneer paste, mix well and cook for couple of mins.

Then add the coconut and mix evenly. Finally add the fresh cream. Cook this for few mins until everything is mixed well. Continue cooking till it leaves the sides.

Add the melted saffron and cardamom powder. Cook for few mins.

Pour this in a greased tray and spread evenly. Finally sprinkle the finely chopped almonds and pistas.

Cut into pieces when cool. Keep in fridge till serving time.


Notes:

When you set it in fridge it gets its firm texture.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 33

Labels: , , , , , , ,