V for Vegan Walnut Dates Loaf

I had something else planned for V, it was a bread from a different country. I was referred to that site when I was looking for X, so I was happy in having found a perfect recipe for V. Infact the starting letter denoted a process that was followed by the locals. Though I could have easily followed that recipe, I was hesitant for reasons unknown.

That's when I was chatting with Champa, and she suggested I could do a vegan cake. She had posted something just then and naturally if it was from her, I could do without thinking much. I checked her Vegan Walnut Dates Loaf and went right in to bake it. I had all the ingredients required and felt there was no need to postpone making this.
The taste was simply too good, and it turned out to be an healthy option as well. What with the walnuts and dates, this becomes a great snack to address your hunger pangs. 

The only thing I didn't have was the flax seeds, I used the egg replacer I had. I am wondering what I am going to do when that gets over.

Anyway this loaf/cake makes a great snack box item as well. 

So for V, I have Vegan Walnut Dates Loaf

Packing this for the Kid's Delight Party.











Vegan Date Walnut Loaf

Ingredients Needed:

All purpose flour - 2 cups
Baking Powder - 3 tsp / 1 tbsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1/2 cup (Or use 1/4 cup applesauce and 1/4 cup oil)
Boiling Water - 3/4 cup 
Sugar - 1/2 cup (Or light brown sugar)
Vanilla - 1 tsp (Or use any spice powder 1 tsp like cinnamon, cardamom etc)
Pitted dates - 1 cup chopped (about 20 - 24 whole pitted dates)
Walnuts - 1/2 cup chopped
Egg Replacer - 1 tbsp (Flax meal - 1 tbsp mixed with 3 tbsp of warm water (or use 1 large egg for a non vegan version))

How to make the Vegan Date Walnut Loaf

Take chopped dates in a bowl. Pour boiling water over it (Measure the water after it has boiled).  Let it sit till the mixture cools down to room temperature, about 30 - 40 minutes. 

Grease a 8 X 4 loaf pan with vegetable oil. Set aside. 

Preheat the oven to 185 C.

In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and spice powder if using. Set aside. 

In another bowl, whisk together sugar, oil and the flax mixture. Stir in vanilla. Add the date and water mixture and flour mixture alternating whisking slowly till no dry flour streaks are left. Stir in walnuts.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 - 60 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. 

Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn it on to wire rack to cool completely.  
Notes:

Looks like just like Champa, I also ended up using a 9 X 5 pan which is a little bit too big for this amount of batter, and ended up with a short loaf.



Logo courtesy : Preeti

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,