badge


L for Latkes | Potato Pancakes

>>  Saturday, September 14, 2013

If there was one letter that I spent lot of time, researching and reading, then it is surely L. I was so keen on making Lasagna eggless version. And I must have spent insane amount of time, reading books, blogs and what not, to get the perfect eggless version. My first intro or rather look at at this dish, was when I had met another blogger in a restaurant. While I don't remember what I ordered, I distinctly remember what my companion ordered, as it was the first time I was actually looking at a Lasagna. I didn't taste as it had eggs in them. It was during the early years of blogging and I was just getting familiarized to western cuisines. Lasagna is not something one would miss, unfortunately every single recipe calls for egg. 

After my detailed research, I really wondered why would one want to have eggs in this, when a perfect eggless version is possible. But it's only obvious that others don't mind including eggs in their dishes. Now after all this talk about lasagna, you must assume I made it right? Wrong, with my ever prevalent procrastination, I simply postponed to do this for a later day. Imagine my surprise when all of a sudden I realized that I was on K and my L was not even ready!

Even over this weekend, when I seemed to have had enough time on hand or rather bent on completing my remaining letters, I took up others and not this. So I was in for a deep ditch at the last moment. Maybe this is why unconsciously I also had another easy one on hand. 


It just so happened that I was also looking at other recipes with L and landed with a perfect eggless version of latkes. I was on my international/ fusion slot and naturally all the international dishes I went through had eggs in them. And I am not so great fan of fusion food, atleast not what I might do with chocolates.

Now coming to latkes, Latkes are traditionally eaten by Jews during the Hanukkah festival. The main ingredients include Potatoes, flour, chicken egg, cooking oil. The word "latke" itself is derived from the Russian/Ukrainian word meaning "patch." These are also referred as Potato pancakes, which are shallow-fried pancakes of grated or ground potato, flour and egg, often flavored with grated onion or garlic and seasoning. Potato pancakes may be topped with a variety of condiments, ranging from the savory (such as sour cream or cottage cheese) to the sweet (such as apple sauce or sugar), or they may be served ungarnished. Potato pancakes are sometimes made from mashed potatoes to produce pancake-shaped croquettes. source wiki

Finally after removing the lasagna recipes from my sheet, I moved on to look at the Laktes and decided this is simply such an easy dish to make. I made this after coming home from work and it took just about 30 mins for the entire dish to be completed. Everybody loved it and of course I was trying to get hubby dear to eat it. He asked if it was Aloo tikkis. 

I said no, he was still waiting to hear me give him more details. On explaining that this is a Jewish dish, and quite popular, he gave me a look and asked why was I so bent on getting all never before heard recipes. Well I couldn't share the info that this was for letter L and that too on international theme. When Konda was helping me click some of the pictures, she asked me which letter this was and I confided it was for L.

So here it is for L, I have Latkes











Latkes | Potato Pancakes

Ingredients Needed:

Potatoes, grated - 2 cups / 4 medium
Onions - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Red Chili flakes - 2 tsp
Corn flour - 1/2 cup
Oil as needed

How to make the Laktes

Peel the raw potatoes and grate 2 potatoes through a large holes of a grater and the other 2 through a thinner grater.

Squeeze potatoes to extract as much liquid as possible and transfer to a medium bowl.

Add the finely chopped onion, salt, chili flakes and cornstarch and stir with a fork till potatoes are evenly coated.

Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat and drop tablespoons of the potato mixture in the hot oil.

Flatten the latkes lightly and cook till golden brown on both sides.

Serve immediately with cream cheese, ketchup or chutney.


These make a great evening snack as these are really very easy and quick to make.



Logo courtesy : Preeti

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32


26 comments :

Pavani N September 14, 2013 at 12:04 AM  

Latkes have been on my to-make list for a long time. But we get good quality frozen ones, so didn't bother to make it myself. They sure look crispy and delicious.

Sapana Behl September 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM  

Potato pancakes looks so crispy and delicious . Is that black tea in the cup ?

Priya Suresh September 14, 2013 at 12:17 AM  

Love this latkes very much.An excellent evening snacks for kids.

Manjula Bharath September 14, 2013 at 3:16 AM  

latkes look so yummy and delicious dear !! very very well explained and lovely pictorials dear :)

Janani September 14, 2013 at 3:51 AM  

Looks more like our sorakai dosa addiction of potato is really nice love the dish.Healthy one too.

Suma Gandlur September 14, 2013 at 5:04 AM  

Yummy. I too have tried an eggless latke version before and had loved them.

Anonymous September 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM  

You don't have to use eggs in lasagna.....u may do it 2 ways...1 . Use marinara, veggies like capsicum, onion, baby corn and ricotta topped with mozzarella ....2 use spinach ricotta and creme cheeses topped with mozzarella

Srivalli September 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM  

Thank you everybody...

Anon Thanks for letting me know. I recipes I referred all had eggs..so was searching for eggless version..it's nice to know these two. Will surely try it soon.

The Pumpkin Farm September 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM  

wow this is like between the hash browns and batatyache thalipeeth, beautiful name, will remember

Kalyani September 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM  

lovely name, easy to make, and a kids' snack too ... bookmarking this..

do u use boiled potatotes or raw-peeled ones Valli ?

Srivalli September 14, 2013 at 9:05 PM  

Kalyani Yes Konda liked it. This has to be raw ones, that's why you squeeze it out.

Chef Mireille September 15, 2013 at 7:55 AM  

These are always a winner. I have been making them for many years and right now it is Jewish holiday season with Rosh Hashana last week and Yom Kippur this week so now they are everywhere being sold. Traditionally here for Jewish holidays, they are eaten with applesauce.

vaishali sabnani September 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM  

I call them potato pancakes:))..and make them with different herbs..really delicious ones.

Sandhya Karandikar September 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM  

Always a hit with everyone. These look crisp on the outside and soft inside.

Padmajha PJ September 16, 2013 at 6:51 AM  

Looks so crisp Srivalli. Got to try this as am sure Lil angel will love it. And for Lasagna, she wants me to make them ever since she saw it on the Garfield movie!

Padma Rekha September 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM  

I think I never use eggs in potato crisps or potato pan cakes Valli. you made them very crisp love to have some..

Rajani S September 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM  

My version of lasagna is eggless and I guess I have a couple of recipe books(Nita Mehta) which has the eggless (Indian) version...Anyway, good that you found an easier alternative, but now you have me hooked on the 'bake a lasagna' thought!!

Harini-Jaya R September 18, 2013 at 5:59 AM  

Lovely latkes..I am sure my kids will love this!

Gayathri Kumar September 18, 2013 at 9:18 AM  

This looks very nice Valli. Need to try it for my potato loving daughter...

Nivedhanams Sowmya September 19, 2013 at 4:03 PM  

That is surely a kid pleaser... looks perfect!!

Sowmya

Nisha Sundar September 20, 2013 at 2:16 AM  

Perfect party pleaser. Love it.

Sreevalli E September 20, 2013 at 9:11 AM  

Delicious snack for lovely evenings..

veena krishnakumar September 26, 2013 at 6:12 PM  

ah...these are inviting Valli and they are like rosti???

Sandhya Ramakrishnan September 27, 2013 at 8:24 AM  

The latkes look super inviting. I sort of made by hashbrowns the similar way...My kids loved it as well :)

Preeti Garg September 29, 2013 at 12:46 PM  

Love this version... will try soon for next season..

Archana Potdar October 5, 2013 at 9:41 PM  

Valli this was my first choice for L and I made lasagna. See great minds think alike. ;0
By the way I think this latkes recipe is better than the one i bookmarked so this one gets done.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

myTaste.in

Cooking 4 all Seasons

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP