I for Iced Chocolate Chip Shortbread

>>  Wednesday, September 11, 2013

There were handful of letters that eluded me for a while and I was one among the lot. This had me thinking for a while, as not only was missing out on few letters, I had fixed them on specific themes. so it was to be I under Baked. Now had it been I under regional dishes, I could easily have got many. However my Regional quota was all used up!

And as I had said I was making sure that I didn't use adjectives or pronouns. Everything meant that I got myself in a soup. Finally I decided that I had to take only option left out and that was using a recipe that had Icing sugar finally used up and named as such. This inspiration is from the Eggless Baking that Vaishali gifted us. It's almost like a ritual every night. 

Years ago, I remember always reading some book before hitting the bed. Now it's become imperative that I read cookbooks before sleeping. Hubby dear thought it was funny, however I wasn't about to give up on this practice. So for at least ten minutes, I would spend reading on couple of cookbooks, even if it was just glancing through them.

So I remember seeing a recipe with name starting with I and knowing I am running short of ideas, I decided to do that. I made this during this weekend and ended up changing quite a few as I went on with the recipe. The original recipe didn't' have chocolates in it, naturally I added hoping my boys would be tempted to taste it. But no such luck. However everybody else who tasted it, simply loved it. Especially Amma, whose expression simply stated the bliss this tasting gave her!

It is finally Iced Chocolate chip Shortbread for I.
The next day when I was cooking another letter, I happened to share the secret of this ABC cooking with Konda. She was stunned that I could be doing something like that this and wanted to know each letter. I rhymed on each letter and she was grinning end of the song. Later at night, she was curious to know which letter I was working on. Hubby dear saw us and wanted to know what we were up to. I hushed her saying she has to keep it a secret! I am waiting when I will reveal to him on this adventure!

Iced Chocolate Chip Shortbread

Ingredients Needed:

All purpose Flour / Maida - 1 cup
Semolina/ Rava - 1/2 cup
Butter - 3/4 cup
Castor Sugar - 1 cup
Icing Sugar - 1 cup
Almond - 10 nos

Chocolate Chips - as required
Decorating hearts as required

How to make Iced Chocolate Chip Shortbread

In a bowl mix cream the butter along with castor sugar, till it is light and fluffy.

Add the flour and semolina and mix well. Add the chocolate chips and combine everything well.

Grease a baking tray and transfer to the tray and pat it down well.

Garnish with almond slivers on top

Pre heat the oven at 185 C and bake for 30 - 35 mins.

After about 25 mins, you can check if this set. If the batter is still moving, continue baking for 10 more mins.

Once the baking is done, let it cool down.

Mix the icing sugar with cold water and gently pour over the cooled dish. Garnish the hearts over it and let it set.


Though the original recipe called for 1 cup of butter I used only less than 3/4 cup, still it was very buttery.

Serving this with either ice cream or pudding will really make this better. Eating it as such was too sweet.

Logo courtesy : Preeti

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32


Manjula Bharath September 11, 2013 at 12:11 AM  

wow interesting short bread cake dear :) looks so yumm and lovely recipe :) tempts me !!

Sapana Behl September 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM  

Wonderful cake with a hint of semolina and chocolate chips it must be delicious !

vaishali sabnani September 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM  

Valli I have the same habit..since years I must read a cookery book before is only with the current BM that I use the iPad to type a few recipes.
And I am so glad you found the book useful...and ...aren't you getting a stomach ache? I surely would if I kept the BM event a secret from hubby;))

Priya Suresh September 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM  

ICed chocolate chip shortbread, the name itself is very catchy, would love to give a try soon.

Chef Mireille September 11, 2013 at 6:39 AM  

I love shortbread cookies but you made it over the top with the additions you did

Pavani N September 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM  

My A-Z BM is not a secret, it has actually become a topic of discussion these days in my home :-)
Those shortbread cookies look amazing.

The Pumpkin Farm September 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM  

so many things to talk about for this post...let me first compliment you on the beautiful recipe , i loved it to the core, am bookmarking it,will make it exactly the way you did, and yes i am surprised that your hubby is not aware of ABC, i have been talking about this to my deaf (pretending to be) husband ever since you announced , atleast you have Konda to share it now

Janani September 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM  

Nice recipe Love the shortbread never made them before was always scared if it would go wrong ur recipe gives confidence will def give a try.

Nivedhanams Sowmya September 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM  

delicious shortbread!!! and yes some letters are hard especially when we do not want to use adjectives or pronouns... ABC Marathon has been a learning for me for sure!!!!


Archana Potdar September 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM  

How u can keep it a secret I do not know. Mine is sure i am upto something and cooking something specific means for the blog. But i love your recipe. Its delicious. Iknow i can read from the book but l am bookmarking this

Saraswathi Tharagaram September 11, 2013 at 6:09 PM  

Tasty and addictive! Wish to have some..

divya September 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM  

looks soooo tempting ...

Rajani S September 11, 2013 at 11:14 PM  

If I prepared half as much as you have done or managed 1/4th of what you did for this BM, I would be eating my hubby's ears off!! I cant believe your family is not aware (except Konda now)!

On a serious note, I am getting some serious hunger pangs looking at that beautiful top of the shortbread :)...Its beautifully done and its come off nicely!

Gayathri Kumar September 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM  

I loved those tiny hearts on top of the short bread. It looks very delicious and inviting...

Kalyani September 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM  

wonderful short bread there .. and nice to have a confidante in Konda now - mom and daughter secrets are sooo hussshhhhh :-)) isnt it ?

Harini-Jaya R September 13, 2013 at 7:25 AM  

Good one ! The name is a little tricky and intriguing as well!

Sandhya Karandikar September 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM  

I have yet to try shortbread. I think I will do so by your recipe.

Padmajha PJ September 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM  

First of all hubby doesn't even know I am posting so many dishes on the blog let alone that we are doing A-Z. Most of my trials gets over before he is home so he is unaware of it. MIL knows I click,so the only person I share all this is with my 5 year old. And she has even suggested a few dishes with some alphabets and i will be posting them later :)
And this is such a great recipe Srivalli. Am bookmarking so many recipes and GOd knows when I will be able to make them all!

Padma Rekha September 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM  

Noway I can not keep secrets for sure I get a stomach ache..:)first I eat my hubbys brain then I gave food to him...
So sweet Konda is helping a lot now a days give a big hug to her from my side. that shortbread looks so tempting...

Suma Gandlur September 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM  

Love your version. Those tiny hearts make this more inviting.

Sreevalli E September 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM  

Interesting & tempting bread.. Those pink hearts & cute..

Nisha Sundar September 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM  

Such an interesting dish Valli, nice technique. Like Pavani and others this marathon is the talk of the house. :) :) Loving it so much could not keep it to myself....

Sandhya Ramakrishnan September 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM  

Such a lovely shortbread! My husband is more thrilled in this marathon than me. he has been choosing weird recipes for every alphabet and I am having a hard time telling him to back off!

veena krishnakumar September 23, 2013 at 2:50 PM  

This looks so inviting Valli and now I have one more dish in my to do list:-)

Preeti Garg September 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM  

Love the recipe, very unique for me :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP