H for Hummus | Hummus Dip with Red Chili Flakes

The second recipe that came in handy when I did the entire Middle East Recipes was this Hummus Dip. I was feeling really bad for separating the Falafel and Hummus as these two are supposed to be served together. However when one does a marathon on ABC Cooking, one can take the privilege of deciding what to add and what to separate right.

Making this post also got me experiencing what I had long since wanted to make. I have seen many blogs blogging about so many varieties of Hummus dips. On further reading I came to know that a basic recipe consists of using boiled, mashed chickpea/ Kabuli Channa along with Tahini paste, olive oil, spices and herbs. 

Along with Hummus, you can add so many into it, practically have so many varieties with the base recipe. The different ingredients that can be added would be like Sun dried tomatoes, Roasted red peppers, capsicums, olives, roasted garlic, Chipotle Peppers, pesto, Sriracha, walnuts, Rosemary, Paprika. Some even make it with the tahini paste. However I feel the sense lies in making it with the tahini paste. I even read about different ways and methods one would do this simple dip. I am going to be making most of these, that's for sure.

Since spice is always a thing I need to take care, I made sure I used Red chili flakes. Imagine the Dry red chilies from Andhra and you can imagine the hot that these flakes must let out!










Hummus Dip

Ingredients Needed

Chickpeas, boiled - 1 cup
Tahini paste - 2 1/2 tbsp*
Lemon - 1 medium size
Garlic, crushed - 7-8
Olive oil - 4 tbsp
Red chili flakes - 2 - 3 tsp
Salt to taste

Method:

Pressure cook chickpeas for 3 - 4 whistles until soft.

Cool and drain the water from chickpeas and keep it aside.

Once the chickpeas are cooled, grind it along with garlic cloves, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini paste, 1 tsp of chili flakes and salt to a fine and smooth paste.

Add a little of reserved chickpeas water to aid the grinding.

Remove the hummus into a serving bowl and spread across using a spatula and pour olive oil in the insertion and sprinkle red chili flakes all over.

This can be served as a dip or spread for Pita bread, pita chips, tortilla chips, nachos or vegetable sticks.

*Tahini paste

Sesame seeds - 1/4 cup
Olive oil - 1 tbsp

Dry roast the sesame seeds over hot pan, and grind it along with olive oil.

Serve with Falafel



Notes:

Hummas can be ground to a coarse paste as well.

Parsley is used along with Coriander leaves. I skipped as I didn't have any.

This is my second recipe under International/Fusion.



Logo courtesy : Preeti

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32

Labels: , , , , , , ,