Spicy Chickpea Chimichanga

>>  Sunday, August 25, 2013

Today's Mexican dish is going to be Chimichanga. From Wiki, I am told that it's also called Chivichanga. It is made with Tortillas, Cheese, beans, and shredded chicken. It is normally deep fried burrito that's popular in South western US. The dish is typically prepared by filling a flour tortilla with a wide range of ingredients, most commonly rice, cheese, machaca, carne adobada, or shredded chicken, and folding it into a rectangular package. It is then deep-fried and can be accompanied with salsa, guacamole, sour cream and/or cheese.

When I saw Pavani's was when I realized that I had accidentally made this when I was making Spring rolls. When the store bought sheet failed on us, I had the tortillas and we wrapped up with that to see if that works. Of course I didn't know about this dish nor did I add cheese to it. I later decided this would surely be a dish that I could make for this week.
I was making something else and I was left with just one more tortillas, when Konda insisted on more. She loves cheese and can have it in any number of ways. I was telling her that I was saving up the last one to make something, but seeing how disappointed she was looking, I ended up making this. 

This is so simple to make, especially if you have the filling ready. Of course this is a fusion dish with just the concept of Mexican Chimichange involved. But then being a spice lovely group, we can't satisfy ourselves with anything less spicy. Then after filling it up, I wasn't really keen on deep frying it and followed Pavani's method of pan frying. We still were left out with awesome Chimichanga!

Spicy Chickpea Chimichanga

Ingredients Needed:

Tortillas - 1 -2 nos.
Chickpea filling / Channa Masala - 1 cup
Grated Cheese - 1/2 cup
Red Chili flakes - 1 tsp or as per taste
Butter - 1 tsp
Salsa - 1 cup to serve

How to make Chickpea chimichanga

To make the filling 

I made the Channa Masala that I normally make for Pooris. 

Warm the tortillas over hot pan, for couple of secs. It's enough if the tortillas are warm, only then it is easy to roll them.

Place the filling in the centre, sprinkle the red chili flakes over it, top it with grated cheeses. Fold the sides of the tortilla onto the filling, then fold the bottom over the the sides and roll to the top. Repeat with the remaining tortillas if you are making more.

Roll it carefully but tightly so that they stay together well. 

Heat a teaspoon of butter on the tawa, place the chimichangas on the hot butter, seam side down and cook on medium flame until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 2 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve hot with tomato salsa.

You can check out Burritos, Mexican Rice

Sending this to Nisha, who is hosting my Kid's Delight, themed on After school bites

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 31


vaishali sabnani August 25, 2013 at 6:23 AM  

Oh I remember being fascinated by the name Chimichangoes..and making them years and years back ....well it surely was on my mind to make these for mexican theme...these taste and look wonderful.

Sapana Behl August 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM  

Wow , I want to have those with your gorgeous chickpea and cheese filling !

The Pumpkin Farm August 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM  

new one for me and surely has got me interested..i am sure to make this soon

Priya Suresh August 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM  

I want that plate, sounds fabulous,nutritious and filling as well..Makes me hungry.

Manjula Bharath August 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM  

very very delicious looking and healthy chimichanga's :)

Harini-Jaya R August 28, 2013 at 4:53 AM  

I was intrigued by the name as well. Love the platter!

Pavani N August 28, 2013 at 7:04 AM  

Oh. so this is what you meant when you said you made chimichangas without knowing they were chimichangas :-)
Love the chickpea filling. Sounds delicious.

Jayanthi Padmanabhan August 28, 2013 at 11:07 AM  

Lovely fusion channachangas :) Looks delicious

Padmajha PJ August 31, 2013 at 2:35 PM  

I remember reading about this in Pavani's blog. Love the channa filling. Nice one Srivalli...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Very Good Recipes
You can find my recipes on Very Good Recipes

Cooking 4 all Seasons

  © Blogger template Palm by 2008

Back to TOP